What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Venga - Panoramic sun roof - wantstolearn

Does an all metal roof give more protection than glass roof ? Sorry if it's a silly question but I'm a bit OCD where safety is concerned.

Venga - Panoramic sun roof - _

Does an all metal roof give more protection than glass roof ? Sorry if it's a silly question but I'm a bit OCD where safety is concerned.

Yes. Any odd little stress or knock can cause them to fail, and not covered by manufacturers warranty.

Also considerthat if your Panoramic glass roof fails, (and they do!) your windscreen insurance won't cover it.

Venga - Panoramic sun roof - badbusdriver

Yes. Any odd little stress or knock can cause them to fail, and not covered by manufacturers warranty.

Also considerthat if your Panoramic glass roof fails, (and they do!) your windscreen insurance won't cover it.

A, I'm not sure they are quite that fragile!.

B, I think the OP is enquiring about the safety as in, if you have an accident. In that case, no, a metal roof gives no more protection. It is the structure or frame of the car which gives it protection in an accident, not the bodywork panels themselves, be they glass or metal. You may worry about the intrusion of glass into the cabin should there be an accident, but the same applies to all the windows including the windscreen. Safety glass has a layer which prevents the small pieces of glass from a shattered window from coming into the car, which also applies to the roof.

Venga - Panoramic sun roof - Brit_in_Germany

Safety glass just means it shatters into small pieces which are relatively safe compared with household window glass. Laminated glass has the plastic film.

Only a few manufacturers use laminated glass for sunroofs. It is not unknown for safety glass ones to shatter with no obvious reason and as mentioned, they are very expensive to replace.

Venga - Panoramic sun roof - wantstolearn

Thanks for the prompt and very informative replies. Taking everything into account I'll discount Venga 4 and go for 3 without glass roof. Really appreciate invaluable advice.

it'll be cheaper too !!

Edited by wantstolearn on 29/08/2021 at 18:33