What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car’s List Price - Colly3741
Im am thinking of buying a second hand Diesel SUV but want to negate having to pay the ‘Premium Car Tax’ for any vehicle registered after 1/4/17 which currently stands at £335 per year for years 2-6 on top of that vehicles tax rate. Rather than relying on a dealer to tell me if the ‘list price’ (inc. options etc.) was under £40,000, is there a reliable database to consult to determine this? Call me suspicious but Im not 100% confident in a sales person to furnish me with the definitive answer as they have a vested interest in selling a specific car. I have scoured the interweb for the answer without much success.
Car’s List Price - Brit_in_Germany

You can find out the rates using the DVLA service if you have the id from the V5C.

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Car’s List Price - Will deBeast

You can put the specific car into vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ but you'll need the 11 digit reference number from the V5C to get the tax rate.

Car’s List Price - Will deBeast

Snap!

Car’s List Price - Engineer Andy
Im am thinking of buying a second hand Diesel SUV but want to negate having to pay the ‘Premium Car Tax’ for any vehicle registered after 1/4/17 which currently stands at £335 per year for years 2-6 on top of that vehicles tax rate. Rather than relying on a dealer to tell me if the ‘list price’ (inc. options etc.) was under £40,000, is there a reliable database to consult to determine this? Call me suspicious but Im not 100% confident in a sales person to furnish me with the definitive answer as they have a vested interest in selling a specific car. I have scoured the interweb for the answer without much success.

People who historically have bought older premium cars now need to bear this in mind, as their possibly cheap but luxurious/fast barge may not be teh bargain they once might have been, especailly with prices generally rising in the last few years, particularly now.

May I presume that EVs are exempt from this additional tax? If not, then it rather devalues the 'green' argument for it in the first place.

Car’s List Price - Big John

People who historically have bought older premium cars now need to bear this in mind, as their possibly cheap but luxurious/fast barge may not be teh bargain they once might have been, especailly with prices generally rising in the last few years, particularly now.

Depends on how old - you only pay the premium for five years after the first tax renewal, usually six years old.

From gov.uk:- "Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £335 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed)."

Edited by Big John on 29/08/2021 at 12:36

Car’s List Price - Miniman777

Appreciating the OP's problem, if he has a short list, its fair to say, not every model of that car would have fallen foul of the £40k threshold. It all can depend on the model, options and extras.

Metallic paint and a sunroof as options could easily take list price £40k, but may not be reflected in the used price. A car without those options could be well under and therefore liable to standard rate RFD.

Lots of research and the DVLA car check option is best bet.

Car’s List Price - Falkirk Bairn

Current Honda CRV EX has a list price of some £39, XXX. If you add metallic paint at say £700 it takes it over the £40K and liable for the 5 years Supplement of £340 - making £700 metallic paint a very expensive option £2,400.

Why do companies such as Volvo, Lexus etc have some models in a model well under £40K have some models priced at £40,043 making unattractive for the sake of less than £50 - £39,990 would be more sensible?

Car’s List Price - John F
.People who historically have bought older premium cars now need to bear this in mind, as their possibly cheap but luxurious/fast barge may not be teh bargain they once might have been, especailly with prices generally rising in the last few years...

Depends on how old - you only pay the premium for five years after the first tax renewal, usually six years old.

The older the better. My pre-23 March 2006 six litre planet-warmer is frozen at Band K (201-225g/km), currently £340 per annum.