What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Getting Car Resprayed? - Warning

I saw a car for sale. I don't like the colour. Is it worth getting this done?

Does it have an impact on insurance?

Getting Car Resprayed? - elekie&a/c doctor
Find another car in the colour you like . A respray could be more than the value of the vehicle.
Getting Car Resprayed? - Warning

Find another car in the colour you like . A respray could be more than the value of the vehicle.

It was a lower mileage car and not too many near me.....

Getting Car Resprayed? - bathtub tom

It was a lower mileage car and not too many near me.....

If you want it, then you'll have to learn to love the colour.

Getting Car Resprayed? - Andrew-T

Depending on how thorough you want the job, and how much making-good is needed, it could cost over 2 grand. Shouldn't affect insurance, tho you will have to tell DVLA if the basic colour has changed (they have a limited choice of colour names, no shades etc).

Getting Car Resprayed? - RT

It's likely to affect the eventual resale value as internal body parts won't get sprayed and a half-decent examination will show it's been resprayed and generate questions why?

Getting Car Resprayed? - SLO76
It would cost thousands to paint a car properly. A cheap, poor quality paint job would kill the look and value of the car so no, it’s not a viable idea. Either accept the colour or find another.
Getting Car Resprayed? - Lee Power

There is always the get it wrapped option to change the colour, it also isn't cheap but its cheaper then getting a car resprayed.

Either find another car in the colour you want OR if you must have this car learn to live with the colour it is.

Getting Car Resprayed? - badbusdriver

People also get their car 'wrapped' these days, but while I think that would be cheaper than a professional respray, its still going to cost a pretty penny to get it done properly.

Getting Car Resprayed? - SLO76

People also get their car 'wrapped' these days, but while I think that would be cheaper than a professional respray, its still going to cost a pretty penny to get it done properly.

But it never looks right and can damage the paint when you remove it later.
Getting Car Resprayed? - edlithgow

Mine is down to the primer over most of the roof and bonnet. This doesn't bother me, but I get the impression its upsetting the vehicle inspection people, which would be better avoided.

I have a couple of tins of a water-based paint I found on the tip which is about the right colour (ortherwise I'd have to pay a small fee to register the colour change), so I might try that if the car lasts to the next inspection.

Since the paint was free it doesn't exceed the value of the vehicle, though pretty close to parity.

Getting Car Resprayed? - movilogo

As others already said, it does not make financial sense to repaint a car. Exception is where you are restoring an old car where such painting will increase the value of the car.

I rarely stare at my car from outside. I did so when the car is new only. After 1-2 months novelty wears off.

When I am inside the car I can't see its colour anyway.

Getting Car Resprayed? - Steveieb

My friend had his Aston DB9 resprayed from black to white which involved removing the engine.

Total cost £8500

Getting Car Resprayed? - FoxyJukebox

50 Years ago I had a friend who bought an old mini van and thought he'd change the colour. He rubbed the old paint off as if he was doing interior decorating, then applied two coats of bright green all over, just brush painting them on. It took him ages but only £cost him a couple of cans of paint. He kept the car for a couple of years.He actually did quite a good job of it!

Getting Car Resprayed? - misar

If the OP is not convinced by the previous posts I suggest watching some old episodes of Wheeler Dealers. A full respray in the same colour was expensive years ago even when Ed did all the prep. As he often said, changing the colour for Mike was a nightmare because it usually means removing much of the interior trim. With their major restorations it also required removing the engine because buyers expect the engine bay colour to match the body.

Edited by misar on 27/08/2021 at 19:09

I once acquired an old car for friends who were desperate for a set of wheels, having written off their previous. I helped sort the brakes and they got the welding done. They seemed happy.

It was yellow, which the female half insisted had to be changed. Her husband sought some advice (it had only cost fifty quid!). He bought some Hammerite and a set of cheap paint rollers. He cleaned each panel and quickly rollered each and threw away the roller after each panel. It took him a few evenings, but the overall effect was a metallic blue Viva that from a few yards away looked perfect, however, upon closer inspection................................

It served its purpose, until shortly afterwards she wrote that off too!

Getting Car Resprayed? - badbusdriver

50 Years ago I had a friend who bought an old mini van and thought he'd change the colour. He rubbed the old paint off as if he was doing interior decorating, then applied two coats of bright green all over, just brush painting them on. It took him ages but only £cost him a couple of cans of paint. He kept the car for a couple of years.He actually did quite a good job of it!

You don't have to go that far back through time to find when Rolls Royce's were still hand painted. With proper preparation, a lot of patience and quality equipment, a very good job can be made.

My Dad made an old VW T25 van into a basic camper and he actually used a roller!. The finish was a bit 'orange peely' close up, but from about 5' away it looked fine!.

Getting Car Resprayed? - Terry W

40+ years ago there was a product which went by the name "Re-paint". Its purpose was in the name.

Impecunious souls (like me) could repaint their for Anglia for the price of a couple of cans. Provided the preparation was reasonably good, a fair brush finish could be achieved.

A fraction of the cost of a respray, and despite some limitations, from a few feet looked far better than OEM colour pock-marked with rust patches.

But hand painting a modern car - not a chance.

But hand painting a modern car - not a chance.

Not from the satin black car I saw in the supermarket tcar park today!