What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - swansea_karl

I notice that the Rapid, Tipo and Baleno are the budget bargains for a medium sized car.

Which would you recommend?

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - SLO76
Something else…
Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - johnnyrev

Sandero… Duster…?

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - badbusdriver

The Rapid has a (more or less identical) twin in the Seat Toledo. They have a huge boot and very generous rear accomodation for two (they are narrow, so not ideal for three). The Baleno has a generous amount of space for a car of its size, both in the cabin and boot, though on both counts (especially the boot) the Rapid/Toledo beats it hands down. The Tipo has no better than average space for a car of that size, though the wider cabin means three on the back seat would be more comfortable than the other two. Boot space is bigger than the Baleno but smaller, by some margin, than the Rapid/Toledo.

Reliability wise, I'd expect the Suzuki to be best. The Rapid/Toledo should be pretty good too though, especially with the later 1.0 TSI engine (ideally the 110bhp rather than 95bhp). The Tipo shouldn't be too bad with either the n/a 95bhp 1.4 or the 120(ish)bhp 1.4 turbo, but Fiats on the whole, don't have that great a reputation for reliability.

What’s the budget?
Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - swansea_karl

All of the cars you mention will plummet in value so although you’ll get a newer car for your money you’ll still lose more in it over the next 3/4 years. They’re dated and none were exactly class leading to start with. If bought with long term ownership in mind there’s an argument in favour of any of them as long as you avoid the chain driven TSi 1.2/1.4 in early Skoda Rapids or the 1.6 diesels which can be trouble. The 1.0 TSi petrols seem decent. The Suzuki will be robust but no one wants them when you’re done so it’ll be worthless when you sell ditto the Tipo though it’s unlikely to be anything like as reliable even though it’ll be newer.

I’d go for a used Honda Civic or Mazda 3. It’ll be older but when you come to sell on a few years dealers will be hungry to take it off you at good money.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108136177889

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108186392887

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108176351807

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012096914975

Edited by SLO76 on 21/08/2021 at 22:42

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - Big John
as long as you avoid the chain driven TSi 1.2/1.4 in early Skoda Rapids or the 1.6 diesels which can be trouble. The 1.0 TSi petrols seem decent.

The later EA211 cam belt 1.0,1.2 or 1.4 is looking like one of the better small engines in the VAG range of cars. Easy to identify as the oil filter is at the bottom the engine.

The earlier EA111 1.2 or 1.4 cam chain engine has the oil has the oil filter top left of the engine above alternator. Some earlier revisions could have issues.

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - daveyK_UK
Some slightly unfair comments

Had a few Tipo’s as airport rentals, I think it’s a pretty decent car, a nice drive.

The rapid / Toledo is huge inside and the petrol models are economical and reliable

The Baleno is good car, plenty of toys if you go for the higher spec (is it SZ4 / SZ5?)

Personally I would go for the newest model you can get for your money.

If you can get a tipo estate, they hold their value better than the hatchback and saloon version.
Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - Sulphur Man

Regarding the Tipo, it's interesting that up until around 2018, it came with a straightforward 115hp non-turbo 1.6 petrol, with an Aisin Warner 5-spd tc auto. An old school set up, the sort I get drawn to... the model designation is 1.6 eTorq.

it wont be a ball of fire, but for a no-nonsense estate hack-a-about, could be something of a bargain. Not many around though

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - FiestaOwner

I notice that the Rapid, Tipo and Baleno are the budget bargains for a medium sized car.

Which would you recommend?

Out of your list I would go for the Skoda Rapid (with ANY of the EA211 TSI petrol engines as per Big John's post above).

I have a Seat Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI 115 bhp (sometimes gets referred to the 110 bhp, but irrespective it's the same engine). It's a fantastic engine with loads of get up and go. Have also driven the Ibiza with the 1.0 TSI 95 bhp engine and it's really good too. Not sure how the 95 bhp engine would do in the larger Rapid though.

As BBD mentions, if you're considering the Rapid also look at the SEAT Toledo, It's virtually the same car with the same engines.

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - Big John

As BBD mentions, if you're considering the Rapid also look at the SEAT Toledo, It's virtually the same car with the same engines.

Good call - there was a great runout "Xcellence" model that was/is great value with lots of kit.

Edited by Big John on 23/08/2021 at 00:07

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - up north

Toledo is a perfectly decent car. Better than a Mazda 2 1.6 16 plate I owned. Mine is the 110 1.2. The only issue is you need to change the water pump after 5 years as they are prone to fail around then. Test drive whatever you can afford. I went for the Toledo above the Baleno 1.0. Owned new fiesta's previously, but the Toledo is just as good, but with the big boot. Just one of those cars that few have driven, but when you do, you know it is decent value.

Skoda Rapia, Suzuki Baleno or Fiat Tipo - Budget Family Hatch - Smileyman

I cannot discuss the Baleno or the Tipo but the Toledo (Rapid) with the 110 bhp engine will cruise all day at 130kph (80 mph) across France, and for me on 1200 miles I achieved 46.9 brim to brim mpg. The car has nice toys eg bluetooth streaming of the music on my mobile telephone and the satnav comes with traffic alerts, albeit sometimes I wish they would be announced a little earlier! Some may say the ride/handling is not the best, not having driven others I cannot say however it certainly isn't bad, especially with 15" wheels although I haven't ever pushed to the limit either. For a couple or 4 persons very adequate, for 5 it would be a squeeze owing to the rather narrow width of the car.

(Note I used a mix of E5, E10 SP95 and SP98 fuel - I didn't note any driving difference with any)

Edited by Smileyman on 27/08/2021 at 21:18