What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - Sparrow

Grandaughter has just passed her test. Despite all the good advice from this forum about Yaris, Jazz, or even Focus 1.25 etc, she has for some reason leaned heavily towarfs what she considers street cred in VW Polo. We know about the timing chain issue, but petrols are expensive, but diesels less so.

,Can anyone advise whether the 1.2 diesel might make a sensible buy. She might do an hour on the motorway every 3 weeks or so. Other than that 8 miles max here and there.

Trouble is, the headstrong young don't seem to want advice and want to spend more than they need on something they have chosen for whatever perceived reason. Suppose they have to make their own mistakes.

Edited by Sparrow on 15/08/2021 at 19:37

VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - badbusdriver

Can anyone advise whether the 1.2 diesel might make a sensible buy.

Not really, but as you are finding out, you can't talk to them!.

I've had similar issues with my eldest son, who at the age of (almost) 25 is in the process of getting his license. He was all set on a Fiesta Ecoboost(!) in 'ST-Line' trim, and while I think I've successfully argued against that (the Ecoboost), pretty much any car I show him which isn't a Fiesta, he doesn't like. That would certainly include a Polo, which he'd consider a 'Granny car'!. Fortunately there are other options for him sticking with the Fiesta, such as the 1.25, 1.4 or 1.6 n/a petrol's.

If you give us a budget, we could come up with some alternatives. But of course that doesn't mean she will take any heed!.

Suzuki Swift and Mazda 2 spring to mind though.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/08/2021 at 19:55

I've already suggested the Swift. Mazda 2 is a good thought though. She has saved up £6k but insurance would use up to £1k of that (she's 20 so not so crippling as at 17).

VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - Alby Back
My son is 21 and he still has his 2010 Aygo that we got him to learn in when he was 17. It has taken him through 6th form college and all the way through uni. I offered recently to help him with the cost of getting something a bit more "grown up" but he says he's very happy to keep the car he has. It can look a bit top heavy when he has his mountain bikes on the roof, but it otherwise suits his needs very well.

Fully comp insurance on it for him is now around £400 with his 4 years NCB.

In truth, I like to drive it occasionally too, reminds me, in a tenuous way, of an old Mini. Turns like a housefly and just seems to enjoy being ragged about. Never had any mechanical issues. Very easy on fuel too.
VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - Xileno

A Fiat 500 manual petrol would give her some street cred but also they are quite dependable things, they seem popular with young girls, I know three with them. Her budget should get a decent example.

I've already suggested the Swift. Mazda 2 is a good thought though. She has saved up £6k but insurance would use up to £1k of that (she's 20 so not so crippling as at 17).

They are very opinionated, so it is tricky, and they often have preconceived notions that they are not going to like a car before even seeing it, should you give them a name they don't think 'cool'.

With that in mind, maybe show her a picture of the previous shape Kia Rio (2011-2017). It is (IMO) a good looking car, penned by an ex Audi designer. Find a 1.2 or 1.4 petrol for sale in a nice spec and colour, show her the pics and gauge the reaction?

VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - SLO76
I had a 2012 Polo 1.2 TDi Match 5dr for 5 years and despite numerous minor issues it was a very good little car. These ride well, they’re solid and decently practical but the weak link is the engine range unless you can afford one of the later belt driven TSi’s. The 3cyl 1.2 n/a petrol is gutless, the ancient 4cyl 1.4 petrol needs an expensive timing belt change every 5yrs and it’s a bit flat to drive at low speed.

We went for the 3cyl diesel for the extra power for its intended motorway commute for which it served well. It suffers badly from old school turbo lag from a standing start but once up and rolling it’s a far livelier car than the equivalent 1.2 or 1.4 petrol where it counts and it’s better on fuel, though not as good as advertised. We managed around 55mpg on average which isn’t really much better than a less complex and more reliable petrol Suzuki Swift or Mazda 2 both of which is recommend for your intended usage over a diesel of any sort. A 1.25 Ford Fiesta or a Fiat 500 1.2 petrol are two other good options.

Towards the end my wee Polo was almost constantly trying to run DPF regens, it required a new EGR valve (done under goodwill by VW), had a new seatbelt mechanism (again foc by VW out of warranty), three boot locks (two foc), a wring repair for the boot lock issue and it ate headlight bulbs. I offloaded it when rust started blistering through the near side sill. Would I recommend one now to someone buying a car on a budget? No, I wouldn’t, there are too many issues which at this age won’t be covered by manufacturer generosity or warranty. The petrol engines are weak, the 1.6 diesels are unreliable, the 1.2 TDi’s are more robust and have character but the lag can catch inexperienced drivers out when pulling out of junctions. The best engines are the later TSi’s which are hugely over-valued compared to rivals. I’d look elsewhere.

If SD12 EFP appears on your radar then it never actually let us down but the rust is well into that sill and it will no doubt have seen a quick botch paint job by whatever backstreet dealer ended up with it. I do miss that characterful wee engine though.

Edited by SLO76 on 15/08/2021 at 22:33

VW Polo - Polo 1.2 diesel 2012 - DavidGlos

If SD12 EFP appears on your radar then it never actually let us down but the rust is well into that sill and it will no doubt have seen a quick botch paint job by whatever backstreet dealer ended up with it. I do miss that characterful wee engine though.

SLO - your old Polo is either running around with no MOT, or it’s off the road now!
“ SLO - your old Polo is either running around with no MOT, or it’s off the road now!”

Yeah, I see it’s not been Mot’d again. Wonder what happened to it. I suspected problems lurking and thus the reason why I traded it in rather than sold it myself. Was a likeable wee car but as with any older DPF equipped diesel, you’re always expecting a costly problem. I was watching for it appearing for sale but it was never advertised. Might have gone to Southern Ireland, I see transporter loads of similar cars heading for the ferries, the prices are nuts over there. I just spotted a 2011 Polo of the same spec with more miles on at €6950, which is around £6,000!!!

Edited by SLO76 on 05/09/2021 at 09:33

Thanks Slo. Much appreciated. Whether your words will have any effect on the young lady is as yet unknown. It is still yet to appear at the selling dealer. Perhaps its being fixed up somewhere.

She does like the Fiat 500, but unfortunately she is a smallish person and apparently was not able to get a good driving position in it. Otherwise I think it would have been a winner. She also has the Rio on here "look at" list. I don't get to go on these visits so all my info is secondhand from her or one of her parents.

I'll let you know what she ends up with.

She does like the Fiat 500, but unfortunately she is a smallish person and apparently was not able to get a good driving position in it.

Very surprised at this. I have a few (female) customers with 500's, none are tall but one is no more than 5'. I remember talking to her about the car and she told me it was one of a very few cars she felt comfortable behind the wheel.

I suspect she hasn’t taken the time to fully adjust the driving position in the 500, they’re comfy enough wee cars for the shortest of leg. This was something I made sure people did when looking at cars I was selling. Take time over getting them comfortable to fully give the car a chance. That said, while I like a low mileage 500 they do tend to fall off a cliff reliability wise past 70,000 miles.

Thank you for comments on Fial 500. She did try one at a more helpful dealer and discovered it could be made to fit her. Having driven it though decided it wasn't as appealing to drive as it looked.

After looking at more Polos, mostly at silly prices, sense finally arrived as she has bought a 2015 Yaris 1.3. Also looked at a Verso-S but am not sure why that was rejected. think she was going round in circles trying to find something with syreet cred above something more sensible and reliable. I haven't discovered what caused the eventual change of mind, and I think it was at or close to max budget. I will get to see it in the next few days, but from photos and descriptions sounds ok.

Thanks to all for helpful advice in this and other threads.

“ After looking at more Polos, mostly at silly prices, sense finally arrived as she has bought a 2015 Yaris 1.3”

A very wise purchase. The Yaris 1.33 is probably the toughest supermini on the road. There’s really no inherent reliability concerns beyond ordinary wear and tear. Look after it and it’ll be merrily singing away in a decade or more.