Help me choose a used car please… - Finknottle
I am looking for some advice on buying a used car please. So many cars to choose from and I have no idea what I should go for!

My 2001 Honda Civic finally died and has been scrapped as it was uneconomical to repair. I walk to work and do very little driving so in the past 8 years have clocked up only 10k miles. I don’t enjoy driving and prefer to walk/cycle wherever possible so have toyed with the idea of not having a car but I do like the convenience of having a car for when walking/cycling isn’t an option and there aren’t any car hire places nearby. I have family who have recently moved to Devon so expect I will be doing a few more miles than in the past as it’s a 400-mile roundtrip and guess we will probably visit 2 or 3 times a year.

My main requirement is a large enough boot (with the back seats down) to fit 2 bikes, so I have been thinking something like a VW Golf, Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra. Ideally, I would like a petrol automatic. I have been slightly put off the Focus after reading about the issues with PowerShift.

Money isn’t an issue as I have savings and so wouldn't need finance. I know absolutely nothing about cars so would like something that is reliable and low maintenance, but equally I am reluctant to spend unnecessarily on a car that will spend most of its life sitting on the road outside my frontdoor gathering dust and only be used for 2k-3k miles per year. I plan to buy from a dealer and will pay for a mechanic to look over it prior to purchase.

So… do I spend the money on the best car I can find and plan for it to last me 10+ years, or go for something cheaper and save my cash? When buying a 2nd hand car is the age of a car more important or the mileage? Would a 2013 Golf be a better option than a 2016 Astra?!?

Examples of cars I have found locally…

1. 2009 1.8L Vauxhall Astra, 47k miles = £3k

2. 2014 1.6L Vauxhall Astra, 55k miles = £6k

3. 2013 1.4L VW Golf, 50k miles = £8k

4. 2016 1.4L Vauxhall Astra, 38k miles = £9k

5. 2015 1.6L Ford Focus, 10k miles = £10k

6. 2014 1.4L VW Golf, 30k miles = £11k

Any advice gratefully received. Many thanks.
Help me choose a used car please… - _

Consider a Rio or an I20, you'll get one with some manufacturers warranty left for the top end of your budget.

Help me choose a used car please… - badbusdriver

My 2001 Honda Civic finally died and has been scrapped as it was uneconomical to repair. I walk to work and do very little driving so in the past 8 years have clocked up only 10k miles. I don’t enjoy driving and prefer to walk/cycle wherever possible so have toyed with the idea of not having a car but I do like the convenience of having a car for when walking/cycling isn’t an option and there aren’t any car hire places nearby. I have family who have recently moved to Devon so expect I will be doing a few more miles than in the past as it’s a 400-mile roundtrip and guess we will probably visit 2 or 3 times a year.

My main requirement is a large enough boot (with the back seats down) to fit 2 bikes, so I have been thinking something like a VW Golf, Ford Focus, Vauxhall Astra. Ideally, I would like a petrol automatic. I have been slightly put off the Focus after reading about the issues with PowerShift.

With the bike requirements, surely you want to look at an estate?. To that end, you could get a circa 2016/2017 Honda Civic estate 1.8 petrol auto estate for around £10k. Re the Focus, a pre-Powershift auto is fine, just looked at a 2010 Focus 2.0 petrol auto with 75k miles and 2 owners for £4.5k.

Would a 2013 Golf be a better option than a 2016 Astra?!?

If the cars are in comparable condition and have been looked after equally well, no.

Another option you should be looking at is a Toyota Auris hybrid estate.

Help me choose a used car please… - catsdad

A Honda Civic 1.8 2013 onwards hatchback has a much larger bike friendly boot than the cars you have listed. The magic seats also offer bike space if you take the wheels off. Avoid 2012 cars as they can have issues with oil consumption.

Help me choose a used car please… - SLO76
Forget the Focus and the Golf, both use fragile twin clutch automated manual gearboxes with terrible reputations for failure. If shopping for a used auto you would be best advised to seek a conventional torque converter or CVT transmission. I’d shortlist the following.

Honda Civic 1.8 Tourer - Robust and reliable, plenty of room for the bikes too but hard to find.
Honda Civic 1.8 hatch - As above but easier to find and a bit less space.
Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv - Great car but might be too small for the bikes.
Toyota Auris 1.2T CVT or 1.8 Hybrid Estate - Tough and practical if a bit dull.
Help me choose a used car please… - Stumblebum

How about considering a tow bar + tow bar mounted bike carrier. I have a 2007 Civic (so cannot use boot mounted bike carriers) and did not want roof bike carriers as many car parks have height restricted.
Our bike carrier takes all three of our bikes. TBH you don't notice the bikes on the back apart from when reversing into a parking space (visibility is fine). It has very little impact on fuel consumption (we can still get 40 mpg with the three of us + 3 bikes + holiday luggage in my 1800 petrol).
Whilst this is an extra cost, will give you more choice in cars + helps keep inside of car clean.

Help me choose a used car please… - barney100

I would think of having no car as you mentioned. £8k would hire a lot of cars saving tax, and all the other motoring costs. Some hire firms deliver to your door and this no car option seems worth a serious thought.

Help me choose a used car please… - Alby Back
Funny you should suggest that Barney. I grew up in a large city and the people who lived next door to my parents didn't own a car. They just used public transport to get to and from work. Even though this was nigh on 50 years ago, I can remember the chap used to hire a car every weekend. He told my dad that it worked out cheaper for him to do that than to buy a car which he didn't need in the week, and that the added bonus was that he got a new car every weekend.
Help me choose a used car please… - Finknottle
Thanks all for the great advice and food for thought. So glad I found this forum!

The Honda Magic Seats look amazing and has definitely made the Civic my preferred choice for the bike space and means I might even be able to get away with a Honda Jazz. I don’t really want to get an estate or large car as don’t have the need apart from when transporting the bikes. It’s only my wife and I so seems overkill most of the time and our previous Civic had plenty of space. I’m not overly keen on external bike racks as my bike is my pride and joy so prefer having it safely inside.

I think I need to do some sums to work out if I even need to buy a car or would be better off going for the taxi/hire car route. If I lived in a city I definitely wouldn’t own a car.

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.