What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Steveieb

Huge disappointment as the stop lamp bulb failed after only 18 years on my Verso and no amount of complaints to Toyota changes the fact that had to visit my Toyota parts Department to buy a replacement .

The original bulb marked Stanley the same as the light unit must set some sort of record for a stop lamp bulb ?

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Xileno

Shocking, surely worthy of a recall? ;-)

I recently had to replace the indicator bulb on my old Focus, a whopping £2. I'm sure the last bulb I bought was only 99p. However, my friend with the BMW 530 or it might be a 535 had to get his rear indicator sorted and it was a few hundred as the unit is LED, so maybe we shouldn't complain too much...

It's always surprised me how long car bulbs do last, given the vibrations they are subjected to.

Edited by Xileno on 10/08/2021 at 09:25

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Tester

And we were assured that LEDs would basically 'last forever' ...

Funnily enough, on my Citroen C5 none of the ordinary bulbs at the back gave any trouble in the 15 years that I had it but the LED high-level stop light had to be replaced after about 10 years. Hmmm ...

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Andrew-T

I'm on the way. No bulb has failed yet on my 2008 Pug 207 - although two headlamp units have been replaced (one new, one used) complete with bulbs.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - nellyjak

As a massive Toyota fan I'm deeply shocked by that....disgraceful.

There's Toyota reliability shot to pieces.....but I'll risk it...lol

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - madf

Our 2003 Toyota Yairis is on its orignial side , tail, brake and interior light bulbs.(The headlamps were upgraded a decade ago). And exhaust.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Steveieb

Heard that some manufacturers fit bulbs to new cars that are filled with argon or another inert gas which prevents any impurities reacting with the filament.

But these Stanley bulbs are amazing !

Remember seeing some equipment at Bletchley Park which had electronic valves that had been operating for over 50 years. But this was continuous use .

And to think Bill Tutte and Harry Flowers who were the designers of the worlds first electronic computer were turned down for funding by the MOD as they considered them to be unreliable and cost too much to replace . So they bought them out of their own pocket.

No wonder Jeremy Clarkson voted Harry Flowers as the worlds most unrecognised engineer in his TV programme next to Brunel.

But I’d put Flowers as no 1 IMHO

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - _

But these Stanley bulbs are amazing !

I knew they be Handy !

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - elekie&a/c doctor
Stanley Electric Co . Big player in automotive lighting , based in Tokyo. Most Jap and Asian cars would have product made by them .
Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - John F

It's use, not age, that wears out light bulbs and wax candles. How many miles has the Verso done? I keep no record of little bulb replacement, but in 1986 I had to renew the N/S headlamp bulb on my 1980 TR7 at 38,000 miles, and a year later the O/S one went too. But since then it hasn't been out much at night which is why the replacement lifespans have outlasted those of most cars by a factor of two.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - galileo

It's use, not age, that wears out light bulbs and wax candles.

How about this one? In use since 1901

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Andrew-T

Heard that some manufacturers fit bulbs to new cars that are filled with argon or another inert gas which prevents any impurities reacting with the filament.

'Traditional' bulbs were always filled with nitrogen, which is pretty inert, but not totally. Then traces of halogen were added, which reacted with any products of filament deterioration, redepositing metal back on the hot filament where it came from.

I don't think there is anything novel or chemically special about argon, tho I stand to be corrected.

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - NowWheels

I don't think there is anything novel or chemically special about argon, tho I stand to be corrected.

Argon is very special. It eliminates pirate-speak

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Engineer Andy

No lamp replacements* as yet (throws virtual salt ove my shoulder) on my late 2005 build Mazda3.

* due to failures - a neighbour moving out accidentally let a broom fall onto the rear light cluster when putting it into their moving van and broke the fog lamp, which needed to be replaced.

My old Micra had two lamp replacements within the 8.5 years or so I owned it - a dipped bulb, which I bought for about £5 from Halfords and fitted in 5 minutes (easy as pie) and a Nissan parts dept side repeater indicator cluster - the light still worked, but the clip holding it in place had broken. If I recall, about £7.50, perhaps a bit more, back in the early 2000s. Again quick and easy to attach.

Talking of light bulbs lasting a long time - I don't recall my parents ever replacing their garage light in my lifetime, but it's nowhere near the record for a lamp, which if I recall goes to some US Firehouse where (admitedly this was 5-10 years ago) the lamp had been in use since the early 1900s.

Just looked it up and it's still going!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_Light

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Sparrow

I knew BMWs are less reliable! My 2008 3 series had a headlight bulb go at 11 years and 95k miles.

On the subject if LEDs, people think they last a long time, and they should. However, the LED chips themselves are rated at several tens of thousands of hours, but the weak point is the electronics that drive them. These don't seem to last anywhere near long enough, and are expensive. Thankfully all the lights in my BMW are bulbs.

Edited by Sparrow on 12/08/2021 at 19:43

Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - SLO76
Worst cars I’ve found for bulbs are VAG, particularly the Polo I sold last year which seemed to eat the things and I often see the same gen Polo’s running around with one headlight out. Best by far are the Japanese, I can’t remember the last time I changed a bulb in one.
Toyota Corolla Verso - Is this a record ? - Engineer Andy

I knew BMWs are less reliable! My 2008 3 series had a headlight bulb go at 11 years and 95k miles.

On the subject if LEDs, people think they last a long time, and they should. However, the LED chips themselves are rated at several tens of thousands of hours, but the weak point is the electronics that drive them. These don't seem to last anywhere near long enough, and are expensive. Thankfully all the lights in my BMW are bulbs.

I can vouch for the control gear problem with LEDs - at my last job in construction (2017), a college that just had a refurb had LED spotlamps in the halways that were going after just one year, and they weren't cheapo ones either. Turning lights on/off a lot seems to be what triggers most failures via the controls.

I noticed a similar effect on the streetlights on the development where I live (private road), and weak control gear alawys caused the lamps to fail early, though the OEMs were metal halide lamps, but they had a PCB, igniter and capacitor plus photocell.

Failures in any of these, though especially the igniter or photocell often led to the malp going on/off a lot (even though it was dark) and knackering th lamp in a matter of a few weeks, if that.

We held off replacing them lock, stock and barrel with LEDs because they were a) far more expensive to buy (combining the PCB, and 'starter') initially and b) the early gen units were, according to colleague (see above) not much more reliable.

The later gen units appear to have dropped in price and improved reliability. The OEM metal halides were only lasting 1-3 years (better if the control gear etc was reliable), most about 1.5 years, but aside from one failure (water ingress issue), the LEDs have not yet failed, the oldest now 3 years old, plus we're saving about 70% on electricity.

A shame cars have to have all those fancy-pants light clusters that cost a fortune rather than a direct replacement 'bulb' for the headlamp, dipped and side lights plus rear lamps. A former neighbour's Audi that was hit by an i**** in a car park said the reapir job (not much damage) cost about £1200, and a good portion was a replacement front left light cluster which was LED.

Seen quite a few LED DRLs fail within a short time. Waste of time if you ask me.