What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault 5 EV - Xileno

This looks very attractive. We (as in my family) had a couple of R5s back in the late 1970s. Great cars although corrosion was a problem. However, most cars rusted back then, it's one aspect that the makers seem to have sorted.

tinyurl.com/w88fc4sk

Renault 5 EV - ExA35Owner

Cynic here - it's a different skin on a Zoe. I think EV buyers will get wise to this before long and be looking for better battery technology rather than for retro styling.

And yes - I had several 5s; particularly enjoyed an early 5TL with the umbrella handle gear change.

Renault 5 EV - Big John

This looks very attractive. We (as in my family) had a couple of R5s back in the late 1970s. Great cars although corrosion was a problem. However, most cars rusted back then, it's one aspect that the makers seem to have sorted.

tinyurl.com/w88fc4sk

Good little car in its time although the double skinned parts of the body difficult to repair when they inevitably rusted.

Not sure I agree that makers have rust totally sorted - some makes are better than others but many cars quietly vanishing. Sometimes different batches of the same car are worse than others - could be pot luck with recycled metal quality (just a theory!).

We had a Punto where rust started forming where things such as suspension mounts were welded to the body. Not a major problem whilst we had it but I noticed it failed it's last MOT with serious corrosion at these points. Many cars have subframes/suspension that aren't galvanised etc that are thick but can eventually fail - usually when this happens the car is old enough for repair costs to be above the cars value.

Saying that it's now way better than cars of the 60's / 70's I bought a cheap £50 9 year old 1973 Vauxhall Viva that already had holed inner wings and very crispy sills. Still managed to get it through a few MOT's after quickly learning how to weld.

Edited by Big John on 07/08/2021 at 22:26

Renault 5 EV - badbusdriver

Cynic here - it's a different skin on a Zoe. I think EV buyers will get wise to this before long and be looking for better battery technology rather than for retro styling.

Given how quickly electric car technology moves, I think it is very doubtful the production version of the new 5 will have anything to do with the Zoe, which has been around since about 2012 with very little change save better range and more powerful electric motor option.

The beauty of EV's is that you don't need to choose between battery technology and retro styling, nothing to stop you having both. The new 5 will undoubtably have the latest battery tech, probably an entirely new platform too. Going back to the 'retro' part of it, most of us on the forum are maybe not in the first flush of youth and so remember clearly the Renault 5 as it was. How many of the new 5's customers will?, not that many I'd guess. So they'd be choosing it simply because they like the design, not because it takes them back through the rose tinted specs to fond memories of having a 5 in their youth.

Renault 5 EV - pd

The new 5 is on a new platform. There is a 4 version planned as well I think?

Renault 5 EV - Ethan Edwards

That's the standard Stellantis 136ps motor with the 50kwh battery. You can have this with your Renault 5, or a Citroën or PEUGEOT 2008 or Vauxhall Corsa e or the new Vauxhall Mokka e and probably a few other 'flavours'.

I drove the Mokka the other day. They'll all do 0 to 60 in 9seconds plus/ minus a bit and top out at 93mph. Range about 200 plus/minus according to WLTP or 170 to 180 in real life. The acceleration is pretty decent , not Tesla decent but still decent. The ride handling was pretty decent too. You can unstick the fwd going round a roundabout no problem. Instant torque.

I think the common use of parts is a great idea myself. Looking at the design of the Mokka battery it looks to have been designed so a few bolts and the assembly drops down. Servicing is 70quid a year. Just checking brakes tyres lights etc. Yep you guessed it I've been doing a lot of research into this.

Renault 5 EV - badbusdriver

That's the standard Stellantis 136ps motor with the 50kwh battery. You can have this with your Renault 5, or a Citroën or PEUGEOT 2008 or Vauxhall Corsa e or the new Vauxhall Mokka e and probably a few other 'flavours'.

No it isn't, Stellantis has nothing to do with Renault.

Only time I can think of where a Renault ended up with the same power unit as a Peugeot (/PSA/Stellantis), was the Douvrin/PRV V6. Given how much more experience Renault have of making electric cars than the competition, it's unthinkable they'd use someone else's electric motor and batteries.