What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - Georgej6496
Hello recently joined, seen a really nice 330d.. done a background check looks like it’s been clocked unfortunately between 2013-2014 even if I was to put 2013 as 159km instead of miles it’s 99k miles and in 2014 it’s at 95k miles..noway this could not have been clocked? It looks like it has 100% but it’s had 10 owners since it’s been clocked and it’s illegal to sell clocked..thanks
Can I not add photos?

Edited by Georgej6496 on 03/08/2021 at 00:06

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - SLO76
A used 330d with 100k bought on a tight budget like this would be a highly unwise purchase even if it was 100% with full verifiable mileage and service history. Old BMW diesels are an absolute money-pit which are best avoided by those of limited means. Buy something more fitting for your budget instead such as a petrol engined hatchback. You’ll live to regret buying a cheap prestige turbo diesel. I advise a rethink.
BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - catsdad

Clocked or not, 10 owners in 7 years suggests this is a car with issues.

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - nellyjak

Clocked or not, 10 owners in 7 years suggests this is a car with issues.

Agree...and would be more than enough to make me run away from it..very fast.!

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - Will deBeast

I loved my 330d.

But I'm glad it was new. And a company car.

Even doing your own maintenance, it's not likely to be cheap to keep running.

Edited by Will deBeast on 03/08/2021 at 07:08

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - daveyjp

No one clocks a car for the few thousand miles discrepancy you have noted. However as others have noted any older BMW is a lottery, especially one with so many keepers over a short period.

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - FoxyJukebox

General question-Even if there were no potential clocking issues and the car seemed a good "runner"-what would be a reasonable sensible monthly maintenance standby budget ?

Edited by Dogfuzz on 03/08/2021 at 08:53

General question-Even if there were no potential clocking issues and the car seemed a good "runner"-what would be a reasonable sensible monthly maintenance standby budget ?

The full purchase price of the car… it could write itself off in an instant.
BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - badbusdriver

The full purchase price of the car… it could write itself off in an instant.

Not monthly surely?!

“ Not monthly surely?!”

Buy an old BMW diesel to experience the joy. Those with deeeeeep pockets need apply only.
BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - Xileno

One of my friends runs a 530d, it's about ten years old now, he's had it since about three years. I assume it's basically the same engine, maybe to a slightly different level of tune. It certainly hasn't been reliable, problems with EGR and turbo hoses I seem to recall, engine going into limp-home etc. More recently the indicator failed, several hundred to sort that out as it's a LED unit. But he likes it and generally won't hear a bad word about it, I can sort of see the appeal when he's driving and puts his foot down hard to release those 300 horses. You need deep pockets and don't expect Japanese reliability because you won't get it but I can see why people are attracted to them. Not for me though - I cringed at paying £2 recently for a new bulb on the old Focus...

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - kaesar

Quite negative reports on old (diesel) BMWs in this thread. Can I ask if Diesel Mercedes C and E Class of similar ages are also regarded so poorly?

BMW 3 Series - Clocked? - badbusdriver

Quite negative reports on old (diesel) BMWs in this thread. Can I ask if Diesel Mercedes C and E Class of similar ages are also regarded so poorly?

If you want an older diesel with a bit of grunt, get a Volvo with the 2.4 5cyl. You'll have to 'make do' with between 160ish and 215ish bhp, but strong reliable engine, as is the rest of the car.

Expensive parts mind (same goes for BMW, Merc and Audi), but surely you can't expect it all?.