What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Breakdown Cover - chesterfieldhouse

l've been with the AA for over 30 years. Never needed to use them much but when l did they were generally prompt, reliable & knowledgeable. l have roadside cover, Relay & joint cover for my daughter. Home Start, as l've been with them 33 years, is complimentary.

l know they're not the cheapest & as with any insurance policy you may not use them for years; you're paying for the peace of mind.

Today l received the renewal documents. Increased from £174. 52 to £230.45; up £55.93 from last year.

l shall go through the process, as l have in past years, of calling them to see what they can do. However, looking at other services, though l don't want to swop, maybe it's time for a change. Rescuemycar.com seem to have a good write up/reviews & provide the same cover for £92.45 for two named drivers, with unlimited call outs, no access etc.

Any opinion or recommendations of alternatives welcome.

Any - Breakdown Cover - _

I have "free" RAC euro cover" with my new car for 2 years.

After I'll go back to Start.

They'll do their best to take Doggy, and for 25% of your renewal price..

Call it a 5***** review.

Thorougly recommend.

Any - Breakdown Cover - bathtub tom
After I'll go back to Start.

Thanks for the 'heads up', bookmarked.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Engineer Andy

It certainly doesn't hurt to get some quotes from other providers for the level of cover* you need, then go back to the AA and see what they can do.

My annual RAC cover (Roadside & At Home for my car only) jumped from £67 last year (negotiated down from around the same plus 3 months 'extra cover', i.e. 15 months for the price of 12) to £85, and so I looked around again.

The best quote I got was £67 (again, as 2020) from Green Flag. Went back to RAC, who said they could 'only do' £70 but after a bit more haggling, would again throw in the extra 3 months again, so quite a bit cheaper.

This seems to be the default modus operandi at the moment - I used to have to do the same with esure with my car insurance up until 2020 when, for the first time (no claims with them since joining about 15 years before), they would not budge from their renewal quote. I moved my business elsewhere (QuoteMeHappy) and stayed with them (cheaper renewal quote this year than I paid in 2020) for 2021.

I've noticed now that cover often depends on what car you've got and especially it's age. My cover (even after haggling each year with the RAC and rival quotes) went up after my car was 10 years old.

* Always worth checking that the cover doesn't come with caveats which may not suit your specific circumstances - some comes with free this and that which may or may not be neede (sometimes you may alrady be covered on the car insurance for things like keys, etc)

Any - Breakdown Cover - Andrew-T

This seems to be the default modus operandi at the moment -

Yes, it's just another kind of 'insurance' which you hope you won't need. Rates usually increase year-on-year, partly because of some new scam such as deliberate collisions on selected roundabouts, for example. It's also alleged that premiums are hiked to catch those regular renewers who don't bother to notice the difference.

SWMBO usually rings up after I have checked c0nfused.c0m to find out what new policyholders pay, and manages to talk the price down again. Quotes include very basic breakdown cover, of course, so you have to allow for that.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Big John

Much has been posted in the past about good value breakdown such as Autoaid etc although I found it more difficult to find cover for older cars especially driving abroad. Myself for reliable good value UK breakdown I rate GEM recovery. I used for many years and recommended to my sister who still uses them. They were fabulous when her clutch failed on a Mondeo when visiting us in Yorkshire a few years ago - she got recovered all the way back to Bristol and they came out really quickly.

Mr + Mrs BJ now use a joint Nationwide Flex + account which costs £13/month joint giving Europe wide breakdown/ recovery for a car each (any driver any age of car) and personal recovery each in any car. In addition it gives us effective mobile phone and worldwide travel insurance all of which have been tested in real life! - and that's with the big C in previous health history for one of us. Possibly not a bargain this year with European/worldwide travel being curtailed somewhat but in normal times I always think it's a good deal.

Edited by Big John on 29/07/2021 at 21:48

Any - Breakdown Cover - Heidfirst

Does your car manufacturer offer a scheme? E.g. I have mine via Toyota Roadside Assistance which is actually performed by the AA - it's full recovery, at home & European cover for £72 p.a. which makes a mockery of the AA's published prices.

Any - Breakdown Cover - FoxyJukebox

Living in a rural area and for my own piece of mind-a most essential "add on" is Home Start -to that end I've found Green Flag good value-with a useful active app too. Mrs Dogfuzz covered too.

I expect there might be better value elsewhere-but beware cheaper deals emerging from price comparison sites that "charge" for call outs. I would also look carefully at just exactly what you are paying for should you tick "breakdown cover" when renewing your car insurance.

As others have pointed out-why not do your research--then see what the AA can re-offer before taking your business elsewhere

Any - Breakdown Cover - Big John

As others have pointed out-why not do your research--then see what the AA can re-offer before taking your business elsewhere

It's also worth keeping an eye on sites such as Quidco that can give substantial cashback re AA or RAC. Even after this I still think they are a bit pricey though.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Dag Hammar

Take a look at Britannia Rescue. I have Standard and Personal cover for the grand total of £70 per year.

Myself and wife are covered in the two cars that we have and in addition, we can call them out if we are in someone else’s car that may happen to break down.

I appreciate that the OP would like a greater level of cover, including homestart, but that and other options are available for additional fee(s).

It would certainly be worth checking how much Britannia Rescue would cost for the service level/cover you would like to select.

Plus, as others have mentioned, if you buy breakdown cover via cashback sites such as Topcashback you can sometimes get money back too.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 30/07/2021 at 10:15

Thanks for the opinions & advice.

Called the AA this morning. All they were interested in was to look at reducing the level of cover to bring down the price. No attempt to keep me, after 33 years, so l've terminated my membership, effective the end of August.

Good call on the Toyota breakdown service, being provided by the AA it does make a mockery of their price schedule. However, l need cover for my youngest daughter too & she drives a Renault; otherwise l'd go with that.

As others have commented, l've heard that some of the cover that comes with insurance policies is very basic.

Having done some research, based on the same specification l have with the AA, there are several candidates such as Britannia, GEM & Rescuemycar. Half the price of the AA.

As with any insurance, once you start digging into the detail, what seems a good deal sometimes isn't. Lots of policies are eliminated on the age of a car, number of potential breakdowns per year etc & there's a big difference in having 460 nationwide garages signed up & 1000's.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Geoff Dude
Which ever you choose. Just make sure your car is not sign written as you will not be covered for breakdown or recovery. Only Green Flag will cover a sign written car. AA and RAC will not and it’s written in there terms and conditions.
Any - Breakdown Cover - brum

We have Brittania rescue through LV think its about £65 for a years cover recover to wherever.

Used twice 2 years ago. 1st time son found tyre flat after returning from a job, in Central London late at night around 11pm took around 2 hrs for them to arrive. Second time to recover car to LV repair centre after accident in Sheffield on a Sunday afternoon, again took around 2 hours to arrive but in this case informed us beforehand of the delay.

Before the flat tyre incident I had tried training my son to change a wheel, but today's youth (he's in his thirties) have the attention span and memory of a gold fish.

Any - Breakdown Cover - _

Slightly off topic, but after my last experience of changing a large wheel on an SUV, I'll call the breakdown services.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Galaxy

Keep an eye on the AA website. Every so often they offer membership to new members at a greatly discounted price.

They say the offer can't be used for existing members renewals so just let your membership expire and then keep an eye on the website. Once the discount is being offered you can join again as a new member and get the discount!

Yes, the AA did have a new member discount running until the end of August. However, cancelling & rejoining would have meant giving up the long term perk of receiving Home Start as complimentary wiping out any saving.

Having looked at many & those recommended on this forum, l've gone with Rescuemycar.com who have good reviews including Which? & Honest John, as well as personal testimony.

Personal cover for two, roadside assistance, national recovery & home assistance (same spec' as the AA renewal £230.45) for the annual cost of £92.20.

Of course with any insurance service you don't know if it's any good until you need to use it. l hope that's not too soon!

Thanks for the help.

Any - Breakdown Cover - Steveieb

Which magazine choose Start Breakdown.

After being stranded at EM Airport by Brittania because they refused to take a dog in the cab, I looked at companies that were sympathetic to dog owners and Start were the only company to offer this .

When a friend had a breakdown Start even called a taxi to take the elderly mother who couldn’t climb into the cab.

Get the app and benefit by 10% reduction in annual fee !

Hello Steve,

last year Start were the Which? recommended breakdown providers. Did take a look at them, though call outs were limited to 6 per year & for 2 persons on personal cover the price started to creep up.

Good point on dogs. Rescuemycar.com claim to be dog friendly.

Edited by chesterfieldhouse on 01/08/2021 at 16:56

Hello Steve,

last year Start were the Which? recommended breakdown providers. Did take a look at them, though call outs were limited to 6 per year & for 2 persons on personal cover the price started to creep up.

Good point on dogs. Rescuemycar.com claim to be dog friendly.

I would hope that most people - even across two cars, wouldn't need 6 callouts per year if the cars are well maintained.

Yes, the AA did have a new member discount running until the end of August. However, cancelling & rejoining would have meant giving up the long term perk of receiving Home Start as complimentary wiping out any saving.

Having looked at many & those recommended on this forum, l've gone with Rescuemycar.com who have good reviews including Which? & Honest John, as well as personal testimony.

Personal cover for two, roadside assistance, national recovery & home assistance (same spec' as the AA renewal £230.45) for the annual cost of £92.20.

Of course with any insurance service you don't know if it's any good until you need to use it. l hope that's not too soon!

Thanks for the help.

2/3rds off the previous price for the same cover - now that's a bargain. Well done. Hopefully it'll more than meet your expectations, but you're right - no insurance (type) policy can be measured for value for money until you actually use it.