What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Car values - SLO76
Had a wee email in from webuyanycar.com regarding swmbo’s Volvo. I had it valued 6mths ago out of curiosity which returned a price of £12,900 or so but tonight’s offer is £14,440 which is very nearly the money I paid for it nearly a year ago at a Volvo main dealer. Times are strange. Tempting though as I’ve been offered a very nice 63 plate Honda Civic 1.8 with less than 40k up via an elderly neighbour of a friend who is giving up driving. It’s more my thing and puts plenty of pennies back into the rum fund. Gaffer isn’t hugely impressed though. Shame.
Car values - RichT54

WBAC paid me £2000 more last week for my C-HR than the Toyota dealer would offer in part exchange back in April, It could be another example of the increase in second hand prices, or perhaps the dealer was just not being very generous.

Car values - Will deBeast

I'm selling my 2016 Sorento after the family holiday, so have been monitoring the WBAC opening offer. It has gradually crept up from 18k six weeks ago, to 19k today.

I'm sure they'll want to knock some money off for a stone chip and a bumper scuff. But very tempting to let them have it as long as the final offer is reasonable.

Car values - _

The Sportage, now 11.500 miles gives a value od £15190, only £1100 less than i paid for it 16 months agp

Car values - RT

I'm selling my 2016 Sorento after the family holiday, so have been monitoring the WBAC opening offer. It has gradually crept up from 18k six weeks ago, to 19k today.

I'm sure they'll want to knock some money off for a stone chip and a bumper scuff. But very tempting to let them have it as long as the final offer is reasonable.

Traditionally, SUVs marginally increase their prices in the Autumn/Winter and then drop significantly over Spring/Summer - so you may do well with your timing and the present trend in prices.

I regularly value my 2015 VW Touareg on Autotrader - in Sept 2020 it was £16,800 but now £19,200 - not that I'm selling!

Edited by RT on 07/07/2021 at 07:52

Car values - badbusdriver

Traditionally, SUVs marginally increase their prices in the Autumn/Winter and then drop significantly over Spring/Summer - so you may do well with your timing and the present trend in prices.

Is that really still the case?, given most people now drive SUV's in place of a Ford Focus or VW Golf (also given most SUV's are not 4wd so no real benefit in winter weather). I guess that probably happened in the early days of the SUV, but not now surely?

Car values - groaver

Interesting thread. Out of curiosity I did an autotrader valuation.

I was offered £700 more than I paid from a dealer 4 months ago.

Car values - ExA35Owner

Planning to buy something in the Fiesta/Rio/whatever class of car, in the £6k-£7.5k price range, but not quite yet. Watching Autotrader and I can find fewer and fewer recent cars at that price - some 2017s even 2018s were to be found a few weeks ago, now drifting into 2016s.

Car values - John F
......but tonight’s offer is £14,440 which is very nearly the money I paid for it nearly a year ago at a Volvo main dealer. Times are strange.

They aren't to those of us who were managing our finances during the 1970s. It's called INFLATION........and thanks to all the recent money printing, it's back. It returned firstly with things very rich people buy (artworks, desirable property); is now filtering down to the middle classes (houses, pricey cars, hotel costs) and will soon be making life unpleasant for the JAMs (basic cars, heat & light, and possibly food if the Brexiteers promises of tariff-free cheaper food don't materialise).

Car values - Warning

It's called INFLATION........

Is it inflation? Did car prices go up in 2008 when they did QE?

With the pandemic, some families may be worse off and others better off.

Those who have stables incomes, would have saved on going out, commuting, child care and other costs....

I was hoping to refresh my car, but I will be putting it off until choice and prices improve.

In a rising car market, car dealers will be able to recover their costs, but if car prices go down (or correct), then they will be stuck with stock, which they paid too much for....

Car values - daveyK_UK
Van values are insane

A case in point - a well worn 11 plate Fiat Doblo 1.3 with 111,000 miles

Body work looking worn out and a few scratches.

Paid out for paint repairs, steel wheels shot blasted and recoating £350.

Paid out for a detailed valet and body work clean up £80

MOT has 9 months, one warning light on (airbag, it’s been on since it’s been 4 years old!), air con regassed by Halfords auto centre in past 2 years and he has kept copies of some MOTs, service bills, tyre receipts.

Sold it today to a trader for £3100!

When it was going to be part ex last January, they only offered £800 so he decided to keep it as a 2nd vehicle for taking the dog out and DIY.

Madness

Let’s hope whoever buys it is a hobby mechanic, problems expected at this age, engine and mileage with a Doblo especially suspension.

Van prices are ridiculous at the moment

Ford transit custom and connect ‘early 2022’ quoted build dates not helping.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 12/07/2021 at 16:08

Car values - Dingle232

Interesting as I was only doing the same thing earlier today for my CR-V. The price offered by WBAC was a couple of hundred quid short of what I paid for it just over a year ago.

I have been debating whether to keep it (likely) or change it out for something a bit more powerful as it's often quite laden and a bit gutless on the hills (1.6 i-DTEC). The other end of the problem obviosly exists as well as I am quite staggered by the costs of more powerful, newer, SUV's.

Car values - John F

It's called INFLATION........

Is it inflation? Did car prices go up in 2008 when they did QE?

The QE went to the banks at that time.

I was hoping to refresh my car, but I will be putting it off until choice and prices improve.

The choice might improve but I very much doubt that prices will. I would expect a new car to have depreciated by around 15-20% per annum during the first few years. So as a matter of interest I clicked on SLO76's 'webuyanycar' site and fed in details of our Peugeot 2008 1.2 EAT6 130 Allure Premium, bought brand new on 31st Oct 2019 for an on the road price including a year's tax and some petrol for exactly £17,000. The price shown was £15,825. If that's not an indication of inflation I'll eat my air filter.

Car values - Terry W

Best strategy:

• sell current car at an inflated price
  • buy a banger
  • keep for 6-12 months
  • then go and buy a new car when the price bubble has burst
Car values - daveyK_UK
Terry W

There is some logic to your post and some expectancy

I was talking to a salesman from Evans Halshaw, he expects the used prices spike to start softening by the end of September when the new reg part ex intake has hit the market.
Expects values to stop rising as independent dealers will start getting cautious about over paying and having over priced stock.

He stated new cars are coming through but ‘most’ new cars have slight changes of spec due to semi conductor shortages; manufactures not interested in complaints due to short supply, dealers and in turn customers told to take it or leave it.

Vauxhall have performed well, they have been able to get most models for customers with little discount or incentives.
Ford have been a nightmare in comparison, lots of conflicting information and missed dates, both themselves and customers unable to get answers.
They where able to get hold of Ford Puma’s earlier on in the pandemic but the UK supply seems to have ran low and struggling now.