What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mercedes - Category N Challenge - Mohammed Elhag

Hi

Please someone help and advise.

Bought a car from Copart Auction and it was a category N.

However, after inspection by a professional mechanic and body work expert, I was told that there were nothing wrong with the body and no work done.

I want to challenge the previous insurer, but I don't know who they are and how to get their info.

Can someone advise me

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - daveyjp
Cat N simply means too expensive to repair. It could have been up to the door handles in water flooding it. Written off, but no noticeable repairs.
Mercedes - Category N Challenge - elekie&a/c doctor
Stolen recovered? No damage ?
Mercedes - Category N Challenge - S40 Man

Copart only sell write offs. What were you expecting?

Presumably you got it for a good price to offset the cat N status.

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - SLO76
It’ll have been written-off for a reason and you’ve bought it as such. The only reason why you’d want to reverse its status would be to fleece the next owner. Be honest here an accept that you’ve bought a write-off and make sure the next owner fully knows this when you come to sell it. I absolutely do not condone this sort of thing. You’re attempting to hide the status of this car. Enjoy the apparent bargain you’ve bought and sell it on honestly when you’re done with it.
Mercedes - Category N Challenge - John F

It’ll have been written-off for a reason and you’ve bought it as such. The only reason why you’d want to reverse its status would be to fleece the next owner

Could another reason be that he's trying to get cheaper insurance? It seems some companies charge more to insure such cars.

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - Andrew-T
It’ll have been written-off for a reason and you’ve bought it as such. The only reason why you’d want to reverse its status would be to fleece the next owner

Could another reason be that he's trying to get cheaper insurance? It seems some companies charge more to insure such cars.

I can only add that after my Pug was written off 4 years ago (third party agreed blame, so I didn't claim) my premium was not affected (LV=).

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - Rerepo

Is this actually true? I can't see why a repaired car should be any more expensive to insure...

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - S40 Man

Is this actually true? I can't see why a repaired car should be any more expensive to insure...

Plus a repaired Cat car has a lower notional value than an equivalent unblemished one so will have a lower liability for fully comp driver.

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - John F

Neither could I, but try searching 'does cat N affect insurance'........

Par for the course for insurance companies to regard any departure from normality as an excuse to increase a premium.

Mercedes - Category N Challenge - bathtub tom

I suspect that as an insurance company have written it off (and paid out) they don't want to again.