What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - Olivia D

Hi, I've ordered an Audi A1 Teknik a few days ago and have still had no word from the dealership as to the waiting time, does anyone/has anyone ordered an A1 in the recent weeks, how long roughly should I expect as I need to let my employer know the period i'll be without a car.

It's in the Cheshire area and its a 1.0 litre shell white.

Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - mcb100
Surely the dealer team will be the best people to answer this one? They should be able to provide you with a build week, assuming it a factory build and not a car in stock. Delivery from production line to dealership is then pretty much a constant, giving you a date for handover.
Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - Olivia D

As far as I'm aware, down to the explanation I was given, there is some sort of shortage so there aren't many of the A1's around the area I'm in.

I was told a day after I deposited the money that they have found one, but it's not in the country and it's down to the people sending it as to how fast they can get it over, they never gave me a glimpse of a timeline, if they gave me a 4 week timeline I'd be fine, it's just not knowing if I'll pick it up tomorrow or next month is annoying, the dealership can't seem to give me any sort of answer so i was hoping that maybe someone on here had ordered previously and had some idea.

Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - sammy1

Nice choice of car but I have to state the obvious, it is a rare dealer who is at all helpful in this day and age. Cars are being produced and stacked in fields because of a chip shortage and held until the chips arrive to complete the car. I got this info from my VW dealer. IT could be that because you have a confirmed order than your car will have priority but when only the dealer can say. So keep chasing or buy a car that is already in stock.

Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - badbusdriver

This could simply be as you have been told, but the cynic in me wonders if what they have told you is a standard excuse and it has actually to do with the worldwide chip shortage. In which case this is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions. But even if what you have been told is the truth, there is no way of saying exactly how long it will take. As the car is not even in the country, it is subject to factors outwith the control of the dealer, so they wouldn't be able to give you an actual date anyway. In 2008 we ordered a Daihatsu Sirion, but we had to keep our old car a couple of months extra due to the ship carrying our car (amongst others) from Japan sinking!.

Given your being without a car is a problem for your employer, and therefore yourself, maybe you should have chosen a car based on what was in stock (not necessarily an Audi).

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/07/2021 at 15:06

Audi A1 Sportback - Audi A1 wait time question - daveyjp

If its brand new factory built from my experience of Audi is its typically 12-16 weeks. You may be given a build date 2-3 weeks before.

Delivery could be as little as 2-3 days from it rolling off the line.