What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - Let the train take the strain - dan86

Was chatting with a colleague the other day about driving long distances Vs taking the train and possibly hiring a car at the other end then we started talking about the Eurotunnel and how it would be good if it could go to other places not just in the UK but all over Europe, you could bord the train in Manchester with your car to London or different locations maybe with a few changes or go to Frankfurt or Milan etc, load the car up drive to the station on to a train then relax and then arrive at your destination without having to drive hundreds of miles. Thing is could or current infrastructure handle it or would we need all new train lines bridges etc and would it be feasible?

Any - Let the train take the strain - badbusdriver

Was chatting with a colleague the other day about driving long distances Vs taking the train and possibly hiring a car at the other end then we started talking about the Eurotunnel and how it would be good if it could go to other places not just in the UK but all over Europe, you could bord the train in Manchester with your car to London or different locations maybe with a few changes or go to Frankfurt or Milan etc, load the car up drive to the station on to a train then relax and then arrive at your destination without having to drive hundreds of miles. Thing is could or current infrastructure handle it or would we need all new train lines bridges etc and would it be feasible?

In some ways, it is a nice idea, but I don't really think it is feasible or practical. Look at the size of the car the average person drives these days and consider that it will, in most cases, only carry 5 occupants. Now how many passenger seats could fit in the space that car would require within the train?, 20?, more?.

Any - Let the train take the strain - misar

Long ago BR ran several such routes in the UK using normal rolling stock but not like Eurotunnel. Cars were loaded into wagons by staff and the passengers travelled in carriages. Some routes were aimed at the family holiday traffic so each car was allocated its own passenger compartment (in the days before open plan carriages).

Any - Let the train take the strain - sammy1

Drove to the French Riviera in the 70s and put the car on the train at Saint Raphael for the return trip overnight to Paris some 700 miles. A good nights sleep and ready to explore Paris Best part of a 12hour drive so well worth the train for long journeys.

Any - Let the train take the strain - elekie&a/c doctor
Remember doing this in the 60s . London to Totnes. nostalgiacentral.com/pop-culture/transport/motorai.../

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 27/06/2021 at 19:54

Any - Let the train take the strain - Miniman777

Nice idea, OP, simply not possible.

Firstly any rolling stock which uses the Channel Tunnel, has to meet incredibly strict fire safety regs, which is one reason LPG cars are not allowed. A Eurostar train is actually two halves of a train which, in the event of the failure of one half, will permit the other half to rescue it out of the tunnel. Passenger carriages have special fireproofing too.

The freight and car shuttles have a 7500hp loco at each end (9400hp for freight shuttles) and the loco has to be capable of hauling the whole train, should a loco fail.

So to have a car from Manchester moved by rail, through the tunnel and be transported to Brussels, Berlin, or wherever, it would need the same kind of wagons used already, plus passenger accommodation, as it would be unrealistic to sit in the car for 5-6 hours.

Problem is, such suitable rail vehicles would be too large for the UK loading gauge and need expensive infrastructure improvements. Best we can manage is 9ft6in containers on wagons, and a max width of 8ft6in.

There have been newspaper reports of sleeper trains from Edinburgh, Manchester and London to European Capitals, but a lot of this is pure fantasy as the same fire regs apply, and there are no such vehicles in existence. To design and build them would be very expensive and have a questionable benefit, when it would be easier to catch an existing Eurostar from St Pancras at around 1900, have dinner on board then switch to a European sleeper train (whose network is expanding) in Paris or Brussels, for the rest of the journey to wherever.

Back in November 2010, Deutsche Bahn (German State Railways) brought an ICE train to London, as a taster for a passenger service it was proposing to Frankfurt, and the places. Has never happened, too many issues, and unlike to.

Any - Let the train take the strain - dan86

It was just an idea after a conversation about long journeys wondering how feasible it could be, I quite like the idea of being able to take the car without having to do the drive

Any - Let the train take the strain - Ian_SW

Large numbers of cars do travel on trains in the UK, but this is from factory/docks to distribution hub rather than to save people driving long distances.

So yes, cars do fit on UK trains but it doesn't make much sense commercially to do it. There were motorail wagons on the Great Western sleeper service to Penzance until 2005 so it's really quite recently that it's been completely stopped in the UK. There are quite a few long distance motorail services still running in Europe.

Any - Let the train take the strain - Bromptonaut

I'm nor sure it's wholly unfeasible.

'Nightstar' sleeper trains were proposed as part of the service when the Chunnel first opened. Indeed they got as far as a prototype train. It was then cancelled as being unable to compete viably with low cost air travel which was expanding rapidly by the late nineties.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightstar_(train)

There's been some publicity recently about a network of night sleeper services in Europe, including links to the UK.

Motorail trains operated witihn the UK loading gauge for many years. Some as 'carflats' where the cars were exposed on open wagons others in covered vans and a few with double deck cartics. The services were run down over the years but continued to operate associated with sleeper trains until 2005. Platforms at the east and west sides of Euston had some adaptations to allow cars to load onto the vans via side doors so as to avoid remarshalling the stock on arrival.

Given the will I don't think a UK gauge version of the Freight Shuttle vehicles with appropriate push/pull power would be impossible.

Whether it would be viable is another question.

Any - Let the train take the strain - Terry W

Pre the motorway era, motorail and similar enabled stress free long distance travel with a car.

But it is a concept which was obselete 30 years ago - despite surviving for a decade or so on a few routes. Simplistically - like the horse and cart became outdated by about 1920 (replaced by internal combustion), and the stagecoach by around 1860 (by trains).

It won't return. It makes no sense to transport a car weighing 1500kg simply so the occupants can climb back in at the destination. Plane is quicker and car hire ubiquitous.

Any - Let the train take the strain - misar

It won't return. It makes no sense to transport a car weighing 1500kg simply so the occupants can climb back in at the destination. Plane is quicker and car hire ubiquitous.

It makes even less sense to drive a car long distances to the destination. Plane is quicker and car hire ubiquitous. Yet enormous numbers choose to drive their car. Of course, battery EVs may cure that.

Any - Let the train take the strain - movilogo

Yes, it would be a great thing to carry own car in trains.

But it won't happen. UK's rail network is broken. Train fare is too high. You can buy cheap tickets if you travel at middle of the night, purchased 6 months prior to travel. Trains are way too expensive compared to other comparable countries.

It is usually cheaper to fly and hire car at your destination. Flying is faster as well.

Any - Let the train take the strain - badbusdriver

It makes no sense to transport a car weighing 1500kg simply so the occupants can climb back in at the destination.

I agreed, and, TBH, it comes across as being a little selfish.

If a train can carry a given amount of weight, and that a given amount of trains can use a particular section of track in any period of time, the idea of carrying cars would inevitably mean folk who may have no choice but to go by train, are not able to do so. And why?, because some folk want to drive their own car when they get to their holiday destination, but can't actually be bothered driving it to their holiday destination!.

Any - Let the train take the strain - retgwte

Sleepers through the tunnel got further than protoype stage, they actually built the trains. which the country ended up not using, they were sold to Canada at a knocked down price.

Any - Let the train take the strain - edlithgow

Let the plane take the strain? Oh wait, you can't. AFAIK

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstdaFg0drc

Or in B+W, so we can see how far we've come

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cbI31LPlZY

"Wings add precious hours to the fleeting life of pleasure""

They don't write them like that anymore.

No car hire in France in 1950? Only 5 years after the war, so maybe not.

Edited by edlithgow on 29/06/2021 at 01:36

Any - Let the train take the strain - Stackman II

One of my lockdown preoccupations was compiling phantom holiday trips for when we are released.

One of these involved a trip to Sete in the south of France. The cost to travel all the way by train from Dorset worked out about £250 less for two people than taking the car and driving. This included first class travel between Paris and Sete.

The ferry, fuel and toll costs are significantly higher than a few years ago.

Quite fancy doing the trip as soon as we can. Sitting by a window with a bottle of wine as the French countryside blasts past at 200mph sure beats the Autoroute.

An interesting cost comparison - a few thoughts:

• how do costs compare with fly and car hire or fly + taxis/buses
  • transport/taxis from home to station and station to hotel
  • spend all the time in Sete, or need a hire car to get around the region
  • how many train changes, elapsed time door to door
  • difficult, but not impossible, to bring back a case of your favourite wine + normal luggage on the train
Any - Let the train take the strain - Bromptonaut

An interesting cost comparison - a few thoughts:

• how do costs compare with fly and car hire or fly + taxis/buses
  • transport/taxis from home to station and station to hotel
  • spend all the time in Sete, or need a hire car to get around the region
  • how many train changes, elapsed time door to door
  • difficult, but not impossible, to bring back a case of your favourite wine + normal luggage on the train

We used Motorail as a family on three occasions when I was a child. Once from Inverness to York and twice from Paddington to Penzance. Late sixties so very different road network to now but taking our own car meant everything from buckets and spades to the windbreak and clothing for a fortnight went in, or on the roof rack of, Dad's Simca 1500 estate.

Any - Let the train take the strain - Grenache

Interesting comparion there.

Several years ago I had a family holiday in Cork, so drove from Fife to Stranraer, ferry to Larne, drove south round Dublin then down to Cork.

About six months later, I had occasion to travel to Cork on business: drive to Edinburgh, wait at the airport (check-in, security, boarding etc), fly to Dublin, then hire a car to Cork.

Driving + ferry was faster and cheaper than flying, even though flying was supposed to be an "east jet"!

Any - Let the train take the strain - Smileyman

In the distant past I used motorail once, Santander - Malaga. I took the ferry from Plymouth, spent a day in Santander then joined the overnight service south, via Madrid. It is also the only time I have slept on a train. It's a long drive, much quicker by train. It was June 1992, I toured around Andalucia including visiting the World Expo in Seville and Gibraltar. I certainly let the train take the strain, however on the return I drove, overnighting in Madrid.

It was before the internet existed, I had to telephone them and ask for their fax number then submit my booking in writing, ticket on departure in Santander. They drove the car onto the train, there were many UK registered cars present on the day I travelled. The car was in the open on the train, needed a good wash on arrival!

Santander to Malaga is now just a long days drive courtesy of a lightly used EU funded motorway system.

Last time we drove pre covid about 15 months ago I recall there were a few short lengths with tolls (~40 Euros if I recall). The only heavy traffic was around Madrid with a little around Granada.

Any - Let the train take the strain - John F

If there is more than one occupant of the car, long distance door to door travel is almost invariably cheaper than by train or plane, especially with high mpg cars. And because the car is already possessed, there are no rental or ownership costs to factor in. Also, my rare experiences in the last decade of long distance train and plane travel (unless business class) have certainly not been examples of strainless peaceful relaxation.