What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - Michaelshankly
I’m looking at buying a 2008 Polo 1.2 Petrol. 2 owners and 43,000 miles.

However, I’m unsure about the engine on these cars as I’ve never had a 1.2 before. I read the the cam belt gear is plastic and the there’s an issue with timing belt jumping teeth. Is it this particular model?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - elekie&a/c doctor
The 3 cylinder engines on these are notorious for worn or snapped timing chain , along with several other issues . I would suggest you avoid this model .
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - Michaelshankly
Thank you so much. I will take your advice.
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - SLO76
The Mazda 2 1.3/1.5 petrol
Suzuki Swift 1.3/1.5 petrol
Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol
Honda Jazz 1.2/1.4
Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol

All make for a better cheap runabout than the Polo you’ve mentioned.
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - John F

I remember having one of these as a holiday hire car some years ago. It sounded so rough I thought it was a diesel!

Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - Metropolis.
Same as me with a Vauxhall Corsa recently then John!
Volkswagen Polo - Buying Polo - Mick27

I had a Soda with the 3 cylinder 1.2 non turbo engine and it was okay, a bit thrummy though. A few years later I bought a 1.2tsi Polo later but that had the 4 cylinder engine, the issue with certain production runs of that motor was to do with the cam chains stretching due to poor machine tooling used in manufacturing the links. Plenty of info out there online. I had a new one for a couple of years and it drove very nicely, but I tend to stay with Japanese cars these days.

Edited by Mick27 on 27/05/2021 at 13:02