What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 3 Series Coupe - Selling Car Privately - Cosmetic Improvements - madmix

Looking to sell my '07 3 Series Coupe soon. The car is worth around £5k at a guess. Mileage around 60k.

Currently there are noticeable scuffs on both the front and rear bumpers. Also, the alloys have all been "kerbed" and would benefit from a refurb.

So I'm wondering whether it would be worth me investing £300-£400 to improve the car cosmetically, or better just to sell it "as is"?

My guess is that the improvements would make the car easier to sell, but I'm not sure whether it would increase the value beyond the investment costs?

Any thoughts welcome from more experienced sellers.

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Selling Car Privately - Cosmetic Improvements - nellyjak

Personally, (and opinions will differ) I'd put the car in it's best possible condition I could and forget about recouping the cost (given you are talking about a few hundred quid)...I'd rather make the car more attractive to a buyer and give them little room to "criticize" and attempt low offers...and get a sale.!

Bumper scuffs and kerbed alloys would frankly put me off anyway but it would certainly give me ammunition to hammer you on the asking price.!

BMW 3 Series Coupe - Selling Car Privately - Cosmetic Improvements - MGspannerman

This is a 14 year old car so some wear and tear is to be expected. It is low mileage for the year and if it has a good service history and has been owned by you for a sensible period of time this would point to it being a well founded vehicle. £300-400 wont buy you too much in terms of refurbishment unless you have access to a trusted local who can help you out. For example you can reckon on a bumper respray at around no less than £200, if the brackets holding it on have been damaged then of course more. Alloy refurbishment can get pretty expensive depending on the nature of the damage, in fact in some cases it is cheaper to buy a pattern set of rims and fit those. However unless it is done properly the refurbishments can look too evident against the well worn patina of the rest of the vehicle.

Assuming the above I would be tempted to try my luck and advertise it at the price you might reasonably expect before committing the big money. Give it a really good clean up, or even get it valeted, and put a years MOT on it. It is surprising how well a car can come up with elbow grease and suitable cleaning materials. Make sure you clean the shuts, inside the door closures, and polish the glass inside and out, tidy it up under the bonnet, get rid of any nasty niffs - dogs, smoke, get the paperwork together etc etc. It is up to you of course as to whether you accept any offers you might receive but assuming the above and at the right price this would be an attractive for perhaps somebody looking to trade up from their first car at not too much cost.