What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - Gordon the golfer

Hi everyone. I hope you're all safe and well.

I'm wanting to know if MOT advisories can be verbal instead of on the MOT certificate?

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - Andrew-T

I don't see how you might stop a friendly tester advising you 'off the record' of an incipient fault, but asking him not to enter it on the computer is a bit different. ??

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - badbusdriver

I'm wanting to know if MOT advisories can be verbal instead of on the MOT certificate?

Why?

I don't see how you might stop a friendly tester advising you 'off the record' of an incipient fault, but asking him not to enter it on the computer is a bit different. ??

If this is the reason for the question, I think it is highly unlikely this would happen. If it was found out, the MOT tester/testing station would lose their license (is it a license, or some kind of certificate?), which really wouldn't be worth the risk.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - movilogo

I have had somewhat similar situation when I had service and MOT at main dealer.

I was issued MOT certificate with advisories along with a separate "things require attention immediately/near future/distant future" type list.

Few things are not MOT failure but best to get sorted soon - failing which might lead to next MOT fail.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - mcb100

'I don't see how you might stop a friendly tester advising you 'off the record' of an incipient fault'

My regular MOT tester occasionally does this if it's something very minor as he knows it'll get rectified quickly.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - Will deBeast

The 'matters of testing' blog is always an interesting read, especially the horror stories

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/category/horror-stori.../

This is what they say on advisories:

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/giving-the-right-advi.../

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - RT

I've had an informal verbal "advisory" recently - basically warning of a build-up of mud underneath my SUV which could cause/hide future corrosion - I was pleased it was verbal as the car has 3 MoTs without any advisories noted - the mud is now dealt with by better washing.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - Will deBeast

The chap who rustproofed my landcruiser recommended putting a garden sprinkler underneath for 20 mins to soften the mud before cleaning.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - bathtub tom

I was told my brakes were showing a weird tendency to bite one side before the other. Nothing on the MOT could categorise it.

I found a slightly stiff caliper. I'd recently serviced the brakes and not spotted it, it was only stiff on initial application and moved freely subsequently. A little 'exercise' freed it. I'll keep an eye on it.

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - edlithgow

The 'matters of testing' blog is always an interesting read, especially the horror stories

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/category/horror-stori.../

This is what they say on advisories:

mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/giving-the-right-advi.../

Whats the bit of wood horror (#1) doing? Hard to say what's wrong with it unless one knows that.

What's wrong with horror #4 (cable tied pedal pad)?

My pedal pads are long gone, but the bare metal doesnt seem to be a problem, possibly because I usually drive barefoot, so I havn't done anything about it.

I have my split engine mounts held together with cable ties though. Been like that for about 5 years, You get used to THE HORROR when it proves to be durable and effective

I don't miss the MOT much

Edited by edlithgow on 28/04/2021 at 01:00

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - Heidfirst

Whats the bit of wood horror (#1) doing? Hard to say what's wrong with it unless one knows that.

apparently it's supporting the suspension ...

Can MOT advisories be verbal and not on the MOT? - edlithgow

apparently it's supporting the suspension ...

Don't see how that would be possible. Its held in place with a twisted wire tie. That isn't compatible with suspension loads.

My tentative best guess is its holding on part of the wheel arch which has a tear-along-the-dotted-line corrosion weakness, but I'm not sure.

Always interested in potential repair solutions though.

Edited by edlithgow on 29/04/2021 at 02:29