What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - Opentheirminds
Need some advice on where I stand with my consumer rights, if anybody has the knowledge.
Earlier this month I picked up a Volvo V90 from an independent dealer. The day after delivery it threw an error code for the left tail light. Dealer I bought from said if I got them a price they’d “see what they can do” about paying for it...
Volvo main dealer identified problem as water ingress leading to it shorting out. New unit required: £430 fitted.
The seller is now refusing to pay for it, only offering to cover the £180 it would cost for a USED unit, fitted by them, a 2.5 hour drive each way. The warranty bought with the car doesn’t cover water ingress, of course. Additionally, when Volvo called the warranty company they only had a quote request, it took a further call to the dealer to get them to activate the policy, more than a fortnight after delivery of the car.
So my question is: am I within my rights (or being undeasonable) to demand a new OEM or at least new aftermarket part? Or is it a case of accept their offer or get b***** all?
TIA
Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - pd

To be honest is they put it back as it was (which a used light does - it can't be that old the V90 has only been around 3 or 4 years) then they have pretty much fulfilled their obligation and make it to a standard most reasonable people would expect.

You can ask but in terms of rights you're probably not in a strong position.

Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - Opentheirminds
Yeah I can see that. My major concern is that £180 is literally the price from an eBay breaker, no warranty given. So if this one were to fail I’m imagining the bill would fall at my door. And frankly after the fact they didn’t validate the purchased warranty and have wriggled as hard as they can over a couple of hundred quid, I don’t trust them as far as I could throw them.
Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s unlikely that an aftermarket light is available for this car . I would accept the s/hand unit , or pay the difference yourself for a new lamp to be fitted . It’s not a new car .
Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - 72 dudes
It’s unlikely that an aftermarket light is available for this car . I would accept the s/hand unit , or pay the difference yourself for a new lamp to be fitted . It’s not a new car .

Agreed, accepting the supplying dealer's offer is the way to go and puts you back into the position you were in before the unit failed.

If you wanted new for old and a more comprehensive warranty you should have bought a Volvo Select approved used car where goodwill and reputation would be more important.

As for what happens if the second hand light unit fails, you could say that about any other part.

Has the water ingress been sorted, had the car been in an accident and poorly repaired?

Edited by 72 dudes on 23/04/2021 at 00:22

Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - John F

Volvo main dealer identified problem as water ingress leading to it shorting out. New unit required: £430 fitted.

Beggars belief! A tail light is not a rare or complex item. It should be possible to undo a screw or two, dry it out, inspect and scrape off any corrosion short circuits and then reassemble.

Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - sammy1

Beggars belief! A tail light is not a rare or complex item. It should be possible to undo a screw or two, dry it out, inspect and scrape off any corrosion short circuits and then reassemble.

Yes hopefully the white goods and others repairable initiative will get us back to some sense of practicality but not any time soon I fear

Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - Andrew-T

<< It should be possible to undo a screw or two, dry it out, inspect and scrape off any corrosion short circuits and then reassemble. >>

... taking care to make it watertight this time ... !

Volvo V90 - Repairs on new (to me) car - _

It will be an LED unit. so will it be repairable if the thing has shorted?

Drive the car back to the supplying dealer for them to fix, yes, it's a pain, but it is their responsibility to do it.

£84 on ebay

Edited by _ORB_ on 23/04/2021 at 16:52