What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - veganbread

I am in the market for buying my first ever car for work starting in September. I currently ride a motorcycle but I think until I get my own place I will stick with just a car for practicality reasons. I am looking for a smaller car to get around at the moment - I have no children; won't be carrying much in the car and will only occasionally give friends/family lifts, so the benefits of a larger car would be wasted on me! I am also quite tall and long in the legs (around 6'5) and so I am unable to comfortably fit into many cars and end up with a steering wheel between my legs!

I have limited my choices to the two cars in the title, those being the Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 and the Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018. I am waiting for the local dealer to get the Sandero in stock so that I can sit in it, however I have sat in the new model of duster and found that it had enough legroom so fingers crossed I should be okay! I've also sat in the Rio and found that it was roomy enough and am taking one on a test drive this weekend.

The Kia, although 3 years old would come with a 4 year warranty balanced from the original buyer whereas the Sandero would come with a 3 year warranty from new. Neither of the cars are powerhouses - the Sandero has around 90 bhp and the Rio around 98 bhp, and both would be about the same cost to insure and run.

The cost to buy would also be about the same which seems crazy considering that I would be buying the Sandero from new and the Rio would be 3 years old, but of course there are pros and cons to each option.

Which route would you guys recommend me going down?

Edited by veganbread on 21/04/2021 at 16:42

Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - _

Make sure the Rio has a proper kia dealer service history with 1st year inspection, 2nd yr service and 3rd year service FROM a kia dealer.

I am 6' 2" and about 95 kilos, had a Rio a few years vack.

Fully recommend.

If you go for the Dacia, buy the extended warranty and the service pack

5 year extended warranty £275 for current dacia 1.0 90 tce

3 year service pack £350

Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - badbusdriver

Assuming you can fit comfortably in the Sandero, I'd go with that.

Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - daveyK_UK
Sandero

Specify the spare wheel for £150
Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - skidpan

Has anyone seen the NCAP figures for the new Sandero, it only gets 2*'s. Seems that the accident avoidance systems don't work very well and it failed. Makes you wonder how good the rest of the electronics are.

Dacia Sandero TCe90 2021 vs Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDi 2 2018 - SLO76
None of the above. I’d be looking for a good used Mazda 2, Suzuki Swift, Toyota Yaris or a Honda Jazz. Nothing actually wrong with the wee Kia but it’s a bit dull by comparison and the Dacia will plummet in value and they tend to get a bit tatty by year 5, it’s just not built to the same standard.