What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
contracts and finance v cash - barney100

Is it me or are dealers more interested in PCPs and other finance deals than actually selling the cars? There is more blurb on deals in the ads than blurb on the cars.

contracts and finance v cash - Rerepo

Commissions and kickbacks...

contracts and finance v cash - mcb100

Most folk look at cars as white goods, just a means of getting around, and buy cars based on monthly payments rather than having this or that benefit in terms of equipment.

So there's very little benefit to the dealer/manufacturer doing any more than 'setting the scene' in terms of a car's image or perception in an ad campaign, and then focusing on how much it costs per month.

contracts and finance v cash - brum

Yes, as a dedicated cash buyer, its extremely irritating having to take out a PCP in order to get the discount which otherwise isnt available and then having to cancel it within days

Puts me off wanting to buy anything.

contracts and finance v cash - barney100

Few years ago I had a weird deal, didn't want all cash but half cash then half zero rate finance, never understood that.

contracts and finance v cash - John F

There's nothing like a monthly payment to disguise the cost of having a car. '£299 pcm' looks bearable, but 'the best part of £4000 a year' will turn out to be painful, especially when after a year or three of this you realise you don't actually own the car! That's why Porsche was once amusingly described as a highly profitable finance company which made a few cars as a sideline.