What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Estate or SUV - Next family car - Alex Rankin

I'm on the hunt for the next family car. I've recently found these two models, a Suzuki SX4 S-Cross and a Seat Ibiza 1.2 TSI. Both have decent pull, good mileage and imo impressive MPG. Any thoughts on the two?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101268371434

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101278396329

Also any major considerations to be aware of when it comes to SUVs vs estates? ie greater repair bills, build quality etc

Estate or SUV - Next family car - _

The suzuki will be a bit roomier, but lighter build quality and by the looks, has decent profile tyres, probably cheaper to insure than the seat on the rubber band tyres ...

Is that the cambelt engine on the Seat, Has it been done???

If you go for either, make sure there is real proof of servicing and oil changes. and at least a fresh MOT, check tyre tread depths too.

Either way be very careful if tou are offered a warranty on a 6 or 7 year old car.

Too many wear and tear exclusions possible.

Finally look on the owners forums for problems and HJ too

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/sx4-s-cross-2.../

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/seat/ibiza-st-2010/

Edited by _ORB_ on 13/03/2021 at 17:40

Brilliant. Thanks for the info

Estate or SUV - Next family car - skidpan

Neither are what I would call "family cars". The Ibiza is too narrow for more than 2 in the back.

If you want a proper family car you need to look at the next size up.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - bazza

Yes you need next size up, Leon estate, Octavia estate etc for a family car. SUVs? Well, good visibility, easy access if you're getting on a bit, otherwise it's all negative, less economical, more expensive to buy, worse handling ( higher centre of gravity), heavier tyre wear etc. There's often less available space in them too compared to the equivalent estate.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - badbusdriver

Yes you need next size up

Really?, surely it is down to the OP what size car meets his needs?. We had a Daihatsu Sirion as our family car back in 2008, for 3 years. Kids were 7 and 11 when we got it, no space issues at all, and no problems getting 3 on the back seat either. Far too many people these days choose cars far bigger than they actually need, so good on the OP for thinking along the lines of something more modestly sized.

Absolutely nothing wrong with either choice as a family car (assuming the 1.2TSI was belt rather than chain by then). SX4 S-Cross is a very simple and reliable car, very light in weight (lighter than the Ibiza), so no tyre wear issues, and for the same reason, any loss of economy compared to an equivalent engined non-SUV type car would be at higher speeds where the aerodynamics come into play.

One of the reasons Suzuki's are generally pretty light is they don't have as much sound deadening material as most cars. Downside of this is the refinement is usually below best in class. But the Ibiza isn't the most refined car either, and with that example being the FR, the road noise could be worse and the ride could well be pretty harsh too.

Out of those two, I'd go for the Suzuki myself, but the Ibiza isn't a bad car by any means.

Cheers. Appreciate the advice

Personal preference. Room for two is what I need.

Edited by Alex Rankin on 14/03/2021 at 15:19

Estate or SUV - Next family car - Bromptonaut

Neither are what I would call "family cars". The Ibiza is too narrow for more than 2 in the back.

That surely depends how big the family is and how old its younger members.

If the Seat is an estate and is the Seat equivalent of the Skoda Fabia then the issue could be rear legroom. Mine is driven solo 90% of the time and for another 9% with only a front seat passenger. I did however offer colleagues a lift home from a work function pre-covid and the 5' 8" female who drew the short straw looked a bit cramped.

That surely depends how big the family is and how old its younger members.

That is why I specified "more than 2". More than 2 adults would be an issue over longer distances, if there are more than 2 kids and 2 need kiddy seats that could also be an issue.

I don't find the leg room too bad in our Fabia, in truth its good for a small car. But the fact there are only 2 head restraints gives you a clue its not really intended for 3 people.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - moward

Hi Alex

We had a S-Cross in the family fleet for the last 4.5 years (only traded in last week because the boss fancied something different). Ours was a SZ-T spec with the 1.6 petrol engine. I had posted a summary previously on the forum which I have copied and pasted below.

We currently have a 2014 S-Cross in the household, it’s my wife’s runaround. Ours is the 1.6 M16A petrol, a slightly detuned version of that found in the same era Swift Sport.

As others have mentioned above, quietness and refinement are not the strongest points and the ride is firm on 17” wheels. I have mitigated this somewhat with a set of Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons all season tyres which have quietened things down somewhat and improved ride quality too. Seems to be sensitive to tyre type so other folks experiences may differ.

Economy is good with over 40mpg achievable during regular driving and over 50 on a longer run. Internal space and boot is good and well able to cope with de rigueur of everyday life with young children.

Higher level trims are well equipped, our SZ-T comes with a built in Garmin satnav, dual zone climate control, cruise and speed limiter functions, Bluetooth handsfree and lots more besides.

What I like in particular is how utterly unpretentious it is. It’s also a good bit quicker than what the official figures would suggest. I’ve caught a few Mr 2.0 TDI drivers unaware at how quickly I can hustle it down the road :-)

One final note is that it has been completely and utterly reliable in the 4 years that we’ve owned it. Had never put a foot wrong. If you have any questions in particular, please don’t hesitate to ask below. Regards, M

Dimensions wise its 4.3m long and has a wheelbase of 2.6m, similar to a ford focus. We had no issue carting our offspring and all their associated paraphernalia about inside it. IMO it makes an excellent family wagon.

Any questions in particular, please feel free to ask below.

Regards,

M

(edit) - casual observation, the one in the ad look almost identical to ours, same colour and everything

Edited by moward on 13/03/2021 at 18:50

Estate or SUV - Next family car - sammy1

I would go for a Skoda Octavia as the best value for money family car

So would I if I could find one! A petrol came up recently and was gone in 24hrs. Everyone knows about them these days.

Edited by Alex Rankin on 14/03/2021 at 15:23

Thanks for that. I like how unpretentious it is too. I'm not showy about my vehicles. Good to know you had a good experience with kids and not too cumbersome to take to work either I imagine.

But the fact there are only 2 head restraints gives you a clue its not really intended for 3 people.

Not really, just showing Skoda to be a bit mean. Our 2nd gen Vauxhall Meriva also only had two rear headrests too, which was pretty mean.

Our Daihatsu Sirion on the other hand, and the Jazz, both had three rear headrests.

That is why I specified "more than 2". More than 2 adults would be an issue over longer distances, if there are more than 2 kids and 2 need kiddy seats that could also be an issue.

I'd be working on the assumption that the OP knows roughly how big an Ibiza is, and I'm near certain knows how many kids he has, not to mention how big they are. And because of that, if he has 3 (or more) older/bigger kids, I suspect he'd be looking at a bigger car.

But the fact there are only 2 head restraints gives you a clue its not really intended for 3 people.

Not really, just showing Skoda to be a bit mean. Our 2nd gen Vauxhall Meriva also only had two rear headrests too, which was pretty mean.

Our Daihatsu Sirion on the other hand, and the Jazz, both had three rear headrests.

I'd be working on the assumption that the OP knows roughly how big an Ibiza is, and I'm near certain knows how many kids he has, not to mention how big they are. And because of that, if he has 3 (or more) older/bigger kids, I suspect he'd be looking at a bigger car.

The OP has not specified much really and not all buyers have a clue what they are looking for.

As for saying Skoda are a bit mean, shows you are another Skoda ( or is it simply all VAG cars) hater. If you look at the specs of the Fabia you will see its very well equipped.

The OP has not specified much really and not all buyers have a clue what they are looking for.

The OP asked for opinions on the two cars he posted adverts to, which seems a straightforward enough question. He also asked how estates and SUV's compare in general, which is also a reasonable enquiry. Yes, some folk don't have a clue about what they are on about or need. But personally, I'm not going to work on that assumption unless what has been posted suggests it to be the case.

If you look at the specs of the Fabia you will see its very well equipped.

We are not just talking about specs here, but occupant safety. If Skoda feel the rear seat is too narrow for three occupants, why is there three seatbelts?. But as there are three rear seatbelts, there should also be three rear headrests.

As for saying Skoda are a bit mean, shows you are another Skoda ( or is it simply all VAG cars) hater.

Yes obviously, because we all know the Vauxhall's Meriva (which I said the same thing about) is also a VAG car.

And of course the reason I was defending the Superb estate against a Volvo V90 in a recent thread was because I hate Skoda and VAG in general.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - Metropolis.
For a moment there I thought the Meriva was on a VAG (love saying that as though it’s a word!) platform and that BBD hates them. Glad I read it again lol.
Estate or SUV - Next family car - Bromptonaut

We are not just talking about specs here, but occupant safety. If Skoda feel the rear seat is too narrow for three occupants, why is there three seatbelts?. But as there are three rear seatbelts, there should also be three rear headrests.

It's illegal not to wear a seatbelt so one is needed even if the middle seat is intended only for occasional use.

My Roomster had three fully shaped and individually removeable seats; the centre one included a head restraint. Occasional passengers drove me nuts not re-stowing the centre head restraint which then featured over large in the driving mirror.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - moward

Before we bought the S-Cross, my Mrs had a Ford Fiesta, which was grand when it was just the two of us. Once our first arrived a few years back, we quickly found that the bulk of our rear facing baby seat meant that the forward seats had to be pushed almost right to the front in order to fit them in behind. This made travelling as a front seat passenger very cramped indeed. We put up with it for a few months before eventually trading it in.

I noticed in one of your posts that it’s just for 2 of you. If that’s the case, almost any small car should be ok for your needs. If its for 2 with options of adding more, I would look for a larger vehicle, it will save you having to trade in down the line.

The key dimension you are looking for is wheelbase, the distance between the front and rear axles. It’s a good indicator of interior occupant space. Our fiesta was 2489mm, the Ibiza you linked above is 2469mm, same ballpark. The S-Cross is 2600mm, a difference of approx 5”. This was the difference between being cramped, and being perfectly comfortable.

With regards being cumbersome, the overall footprint of the S-Cross is on a par with a similar age Ford Focus. We had no issues with finding parking spots or manoeuvring in tight spaces, and all round visibility was good. There’s a reversing camera on the back for good measure too.

All in all, to quote a popular meme, it wasn’t necessarily the car we wanted, but it was definitely the car we needed.

Edited by moward on 14/03/2021 at 20:13

I noticed in one of your posts that it’s just for 2 of you. If that’s the case, almost any small car should be ok for your needs. If its for 2 with options of adding more, I would look for a larger vehicle, it will save you having to trade in down the line.

Not 100% sure, but I think that comment was specifically about the rear seat as opposed to the whole car. Probably in response to skidpan saying the rear seat wasn't wide enough for more than two.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - daveyK_UK
Consider a Ssangyong Tivoli

Amazing value, reliable and decent 1.6 petrol engine

Works well as a family car
Estate or SUV - Next family car - Falkirk Bairn

Just before Xmas

South Korean manufacturer Ssangyong has filed for bankruptcy in its home country after defaulting on a loan repayment of 60 billion won (£40 million) – but the firm’s UK operations are unaffected by the move.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - SLO76
Consider a Ssangyong Tivoli Amazing value, reliable and decent 1.6 petrol engine Works well as a family car

Wouldn’t touch one unless it’s stupidly cheap. It’s not that they’re bad cars it’s the crippling depreciation as the trade treat them as a budget brand and absolutely hammer them. Being quite rare also means that there’s little to no aftermarket parts supply and most components are dealer only making them quite expensive to maintain and repair over the long term. They simply don’t add up compared to a slightly older more mainstream rival.

A what?

The wee Seat is the better car to drive, it’ll be cheaper to run and easier to sell on again. It should be a belt cam TSi at this age but I’d call my local main dealer to verify as you really don’t want the problematic chain driven version. Not much wrong with the Suzuki, it’s just a bit drab and they’re hard work to sell on.

Did spot a few locally I’d favour however.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101067709251

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102159066822

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/201911084153991

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102038638374

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012157127263

Edited by SLO76 on 14/03/2021 at 23:11

For a moment there I thought the Meriva was on a VAG (love saying that as though it’s a word!) platform and that BBD hates them. Glad I read it again lol.

Sorry Metropolis, I'm Scottish, sarcasm is nine tenths of the law ;-)

Estate or SUV - Next family car - John F

Our score of 'family' activity years would have been severely hampered without an estate. To get the equivalent practicality we would have needed a humungously large and expensive SUV. You really need something that you cam easily sling a bike or two in the back, or take a fridge to the tip, or when they get older, move their voluminous cargo from one place to another. A couple of used Passats did it for us, each lasted about ten years at roughly 20,000 miles a year. When bringing up a family, it makes sense for most people to waste as little money as possible on cars.

If you are investing in a family car the youngsters are going to grow rapidly in just a few years and it is not long they are in car seats> Better to go for the right size car from the outset rather than loose money chopping and changing.

If you are investing in a family car the youngsters are going to grow rapidly in just a few years and it is not long they are in car seats> Better to go for the right size car from the outset rather than loose money chopping and changing.

Most people change cars every two or three years, so I don't see how this is going to be an issue unless the rear seats of the (erm) Seat are already too small. The Suzuki is a different kettle of fish as it is more or less the same size as a Golf or Focus. Far more sensible to buy a car of the size you need now and for the next few years. If you need a bigger car when the kids are bigger, get it then.

If you are investing in a family car the youngsters are going to grow rapidly in just a few years ....... Better to go for the right size car from the outset rather than lose money chopping and changing.

I agree - and did so (see my above post).

Most people change cars every two or three years,

I find that hard to believe. Certainly some do, but I would think more than 50% of car buyers keep their cars considerably longer than that.

..........Far more sensible to buy a car of the size you need now and for the next few years. If you need a bigger car when the kids are bigger, get it then.

This is the advice one would expect to get from a car salesman.

I would think more than 50% of car buyers keep their cars considerably longer than that.

Well you are entitled to your opinion, and maybe folk are not as obsessed with having the latest trinket where you live. But, and this is coming from someone who spends most of his days driving around residential streets, I see a far higher percentage of cars younger than three years than when I started cleaning windows nearly twelve years ago.

This is the advice one would expect to get from a car salesman.

I object to that. It bothers me greatly the amount of congestion and traffic problems in general caused by so many people having cars far bigger than they actually need. Furthermore I am one of a few contributors to this thread who is not doing what a salesman would do, which is to persuade the OP that the two cars he feels fit his needs are in fact too small.

Do large cars actually cause more traffic though? Larger footprint yes, but ultimately still the same number of cars in the queue.
Estate or SUV - Next family car - alan1302
Do large cars actually cause more traffic though? Larger footprint yes, but ultimately still the same number of cars in the queue.

Larger vehicles will cause slower traffic as for example between a set of traffic lights there could be room for 12 city cars but only 8 larger cars - that then slows traffic overall - so the more larger cars their are the slower it can move about.

Very interesting, thank you for elaborating on BBDs point Alan.
Very interesting, thank you for elaborating on BBDs point Alan.

Actually, further elaboration is needed. Although 8 x 5m large cars is roughly equal to the length of 12 x 3.5m tiny cars, it seems that no thought has been given to the space between them when in motion between the traffic lights. Assuming this will be at least a large car's length, 11 spaces x 5m is 20m more than 7 spaces x 5m. So a truer example would be eight large cars and nine small cars occupying much the same length of road when in motion. So in practice, the opinion, which I do not find objectionable, that tiny cars cause less congestion carries very little weight. From my point of view.

I drive a bigger car than I need because the room gives me greater comfort and it is probably a safer place to be in an accident than say a Ford Fiesta. Also I need the boot space to holiday self catering.

I drive a bigger inefficient car (even the Americans complain about the mpg on these!) because I want to. I would not dare take it off road, I like it being immaculate and dont want to hasten worn bushings etc. I might swap it for a Yaris hybrid one day, but for now I am enjoying the space, relative refinement and just how it drives. And I am fairly sure it is shorter than a mk3 Mondeo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drive a bigger car than I need because the room gives me greater comfort and it is probably a safer place to be in an accident than say a Ford Fiesta. Also I need the boot space to holiday self catering.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I drive a bigger inefficient car (even the Americans complain about the mpg on these!) because I want to. I would not dare take it off road, I like it being immaculate and dont want to hasten worn bushings etc. I might swap it for a Yaris hybrid one day, but for now I am enjoying the space, relative refinement and just how it drives. And I am fairly sure it is shorter than a mk3 Mondeo.

With all respect, these comments are completely irrelevant.

The point is, my posts and comments are coming from my own point of view regarding car sizes (not, as John seems to feel, an attempt to have the OP spend more money long term), along with what the OP himself wants based on the two cars he has picked out , both of which are perfectly suitable for use as a family car. Especially so the Suzuki, but even the Ibiza (assuming the OP's kids are not in their teens and built like rugby players) will be fine.

And just for Sammy, the Ibiza ST has a boot around 15% bigger than a Golf of the same era, not to mention around 90% bigger than the boot of the Daihatsu Sirion we used quite happily as a family car over the course of three years starting when our kids were 7 and 11.

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/03/2021 at 20:50

Fair enough BBD, I was rather hoping for an explanation as to how larger cars (excluding motorbikes from the equation) increase traffic, say Mondeo vs Fiat Punto, as giving it more thought I can see the arguments but I still prefer sitting in traffic in a larger air conditioned space where I can stretch out and see ahead over the roofs of more sensible motorists rather than a smaller air conditioned space. Possibly irrelevant though, yes.

I object to that. It bothers me greatly the amount of congestion and traffic problems in general caused by so many people having cars far bigger than they actually need. Furthermore I am one of a few contributors to this thread who is not doing what a salesman would do, which is to persuade the OP that the two cars he feels fit his needs are in fact too small.

BBD your comment above seems to suggest that everyone should be running around in little boxes and nobody on here is persuading the OP to buy anything. The OP is asking a question and others are giving of their experience of family transport.

I want to directly answer the OPs question here on build quality:

The Suzuki will feel cheaper but is actually the better built product (avoid diesels).
The Seat will feel more premium in a VAG group sort of way, aka perceived build quality, but typically will give more trouble than the Suzuki long term.

Exceptions to the general rule can occur, but generally the above will be true.

BBD your comment above seems to suggest that everyone should be running around in little boxes

Neither of the two cars the OP himself put forward are 'little boxes', and I am in favour of both as family cars.

nobody on here is persuading the OP to buy anything.

skidpan says, "If you want a proper family car you need to look at the next size up."

Bazza says, "Yes you need next size up,"

You say, "I would go for a Skoda Octavia as the best value for money family car"

All five of SLO's offerings are from the next size up on an Ibiza.

The OP is asking a question and others are giving of their experience of family transport.

Actually the OP was asking for opinions on the two cars he posted adverts to, along with some general opinions on estates vs SUV's with regards to running costs and wear and tear.

Estate or SUV - Next family car - Alby Back
For what it's worth, I have in the past found myself regretting buying a car that is too small, but I have never regretted buying one that was too big.

The more stuff and or people you can get in it just increases its usefulness. Provided you have enough room to park it of course.

I always go for large estate cars now. Just ticks all my boxes for work and domestic purposes.

That's a bit like the iPhone effect - you didn't know you needed one until you bought it.

I would never knowingly oversize but that's my preference. I'm looking to upgrade mainly due to the state and age of the car (Note 2006), but some extra boot space is also necessary. I think estates might be the way to go.

That's a bit like the iPhone effect - you didn't know you needed one until you bought it.

I would never knowingly oversize but that's my preference. I'm looking to upgrade mainly due to the state and age of the car (Note 2006), but some extra boot space is also necessary. I think estates might be the way to go.

Try the likes of a Civic hatch for size, the boot is plentiful and they’re hard to beat as a used buy at this sort of money. Above all don’t limit yourself in options too much when buying used, cast the next as wide as possible.

Thanks for enlightening us about your current car. That will help people advise you better. What would help now would be if you told us about your space needs for the foreseeable future.

With regards to the Note, having owned one (albeit the later Mk2 for 2015) I can tell you 100% that it had more rear space than our current Skoda Fabia (hach) and that will have the same rear space as the Seat Ibiza (estate). The Note also had a very good boot for the size of car, bigger than that quoted for the S-Cross, it was also very flexible in our since it had the sliding rear seat feature. Many on the Nissan forum say that the Mk1 Note (like yours) had more space for both people and luggage than the later Mk2 (like ours) but cannot honestly comment since we never owned one.

With regards to the MPV or Estate debate we have owned both and to be honest its a draw. If the car is big enough and you like it what category it comes from is immaterial. My last 2 cars have both been Skoda Superb hatches, no need to buy the estate since the hatch has more space than any estate of MPV we have owned.

One fact to make you think, hatches have been far more refined that both MPV's and estates. We have only owned one estate and it was OK but it was a bit boomy from the rear end, we have driven others and most were far noisier than would could bear on a longer trip. Of the 2 MPV's we have owned the C-Max was pretty noisy (but just bearable) but the Note was actually fine. Not had a boomy hatch yet.