What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Estate decision? - NAthan smith
Hi been doing a lot of research for my next car I’ve narrowed it down to Superb spot line estate or a V90 r design estate? Very similar I can’t really decide any opinions?
Estate decision? - S40 Man

Is this a new or used car?

Superbs are generally quite a bit cheaper second hand.

The cheapest Superb new I could see was a 1.5 petrol 150 ps at £23 k but the model you mention are around £30k

Cheapest v90 was £32000 other similar ones are nearer £40,000 best to shop around.

Maybe check out the cheaper Superb and see if you are getting good value for your extra £7k in fancy bits of kit.

Otherwise the price is pretty compatible between the Skoda and Volvo. See which you prefer. It's my suspicion the Volvo might depreciate less. Someone might have access to CAP data or similar, you can normally get a clue from PCP deals available, poorly depreciating cars have higher monthly cost due to lower resale value that needs to be recouped.

Estate decision? - chris87
I wouldn’t say very similar at all. Yes, in terms of size, but one is a luxury brand, the other is cheap plastic overall, you really can’t compare them like that. Not sure what the skoda costs, but volvo is doing some crazy deals atm. You can get £10k off by just looking at the car, a larger discount should be achievable.
Estate decision? - Falkirk Bairn

Volvo, petrol only V90s, pre-reg with under 500 miles around £27K before you haggle - last in high 30Ks/low 40Ks.

Lot of car for Focus type prices - costs a lot more to run than a Focus!

Estate decision? - skidpan

I wouldn’t say very similar at all. Yes, in terms of size, but one is a luxury brand, the other is cheap plastic overall, you really can’t compare them like that.

You really need to get out and look at a Superb and then come back and admit you were wrong. Skodas may have been cheap and plastic tat at one time but that ended when VAG took over, they are every bit as good as the well established alternatives now, but still cheaper.

We are on our 2nd Superb which we bought in October. Before we bought it we checked out the alternatives such as the Passat estate, A4 Avant, V60, 3 series Touring, we even tried a Toyota RAV4 much loved on this forum. There was very little difference regarding "plastics" compared to the Passat, A4 and V60 but the RAV4 was without any doubt of a lower order quality wise.

With regards to deals the OP does not say if its new or used they are looking at so lets assume its new. They don't say if its petrol or diesel so lets assume petrol and since the V90 is only available as an auto lets assume its auto they want.

We buy our cars from Carfile.net normally, great deals and no haggling. A Skoda Superb 190 Sportline Auto (its a wet clutch so should be fine) is £29,973.00 after discount and finance contribution (simply pay off within 14 days and keep), a saving of £7287.

Carfile do not list the Volvo Estates but Jonathan told me they did them so just ask for a quote. The discount I was quoted was 10% thus the Carfile price for a V70 B4 R-Design (190 PS again) would be £35507 after discount and finance contribution (pay off like Skoda) a saving of £9223.

Put simply the Superb is about £5500 less.

Don't expect the Volvo to hold its value better either, both brands have similar residuals.

Both brands offer "cheap" service deals when bought with the car.

There is one other consideration regarding costs. The P11D price of the V90 is over £40,000 meaning that the VED for the first five years is £360 a year extra, over 5 years of ownership that adds £1800 to the Volvo which could of course increase when Richie Rich decides how he will be balancing the books.

With that price difference the best value is clearly the Skoda but its your money and you need to see and drive both and then decide.

Edited by skidpan on 08/03/2021 at 09:28

VAG is not a benchmark for quality, I’m sorry to say it. Their interiors (and that includes Skoda) is all cheap plastic, unfortunately. I’m not bashing your car, they’re good all-rounders, but the gap between Volvo and Skoda is huge, so you can’t say they’re similar at all. And no, Passats aren’t better.
Estate decision? - barney100

Volvo sounds good to me, won't be able to buy one soon as an ICE car.

Volvo sounds good to me, won't be able to buy one soon as an ICE car.

Thought that was 2030

VAG is not a benchmark for quality, I’m sorry to say it. Their interiors (and that includes Skoda) is all cheap plastic, unfortunately. I’m not bashing your car, they’re good all-rounders, but the gap between Volvo and Skoda is huge, so you can’t say they’re similar at all. And no, Passats aren’t better.

Plastic is pretty much plastic. Some is hard and shiny, some is hard and dull, some has a nice soft feel, I could go on. The plastics inside the Skoda and Volvo are both the soft feel stuff on the dash and top part of the doors but lower down the doors they turn a bit harder. On the Superb the console is soft feel, on the Volvo its hard.

The only huge gap between a Volvo and Skoda is the price. I don't buy Skodas because they are all I can afford, I could have bought the Volvo and would if I had believed it was a better car but it wasn't.

Estate decision? - KBB

I went from a Superb to a V60 (really just a shrunken V90). The Superb was great in all aspects apart from the seats; always ended up with leg pain no matter what position I had the seats in. Only did a short test drive and it wasn't apparent then. Quite a few threads on Briskoda on the same theme.

Having said that, the vast majority have no issues with seat comfort, so I suppose my point is to do a decent length test drive (30 mins+ minimum) of whatever you intend to buy.

The V60 is great. Interior quality can be subjective and I'm not a plastics expert but the Volvo feels more upmarket and just a bit more "special" than the Superb. Having said that, there is an occasional annoying rattle from somewhere around the pano roof (threads on the Volvo forum about this) whereas the Superb didn't have any rattles (both 2018 with similar mileage) so is the Volvo actually higher quality? Perhaps not.

I went from a Superb to a V60 (really just a shrunken V90). The Superb was great in all aspects apart from the seats; always ended up with leg pain no matter what position I had the seats in. Only did a short test drive and it wasn't apparent then. Quite a few threads on Briskoda on the same theme.

No issues with the seats her (me or the Mrs) an in the past we have had issues with seats. After 430 miles in the car in about 8 hours we both get out feeling great.

The new Superb we bought has more adjustments on the drivers seat than the old one (SE), what spec was yours?

Estate decision? - KBB

No issues with the seats her (me or the Mrs) an in the past we have had issues with seats. After 430 miles in the car in about 8 hours we both get out feeling great.

The new Superb we bought has more adjustments on the drivers seat than the old one (SE), what spec was yours?

It was a 2018 SE that I had with the fabric seats and manual adjustment. Perhaps a higher spec model with the electrically adjustable seats would have been fine, or, as you say, the new model. Seats are just one of these things that are really personal and they just didn't suit me.

Prior to the Superb I had an Octavia for 7 years and never had any issues with it so I would always happily recommend a Skoda and would consider another one in the future.

Estate decision? - badbusdriver

volvo is doing some crazy deals atm. You can get £10k off by just looking at the car, a larger discount should be achievable.

If Volvo's actually were as desirable as you seem to think, they wouldn't need to offer crazy discounts would they?.

Personally, I despair about people who judge a car purely on the quality of the interior plastic. Despite this, to say that the plastics used in the Superb are poor is nonsense. They may not be quite as good to touch as the class best, but that isn't the same thing. And as was said above (by KBB), more tactile interior plastics is no guarantee of no rattles. Surely the absence of rattles is a much more accurate way to determine the quality of a car..........

...........Though perhaps not as much as reliability, which lead me to the What Car reliability survey. chris87's obvious adoration of Volvo, claims that they are a luxury brand (they aren't), and as such are way above dowdy old Skoda, doesn't change the facts. Which are that in every category where there was both a Skoda and a Volvo, the Skoda was more reliable. Furthermore, while the Superb was not placed in the same category as the S90 and V90, these were Volvo's poorest showing, coming in the bottom half (6th out of 8) of an admittedly small group of cars. By contrast, the Superb came 2nd out of 19 in its category. The most telling result though, is the overall reliability rating of the brand, with Skoda positioned 5th (out of 31) and Volvo 16th equal along with that paragon of quality, Citroen(!).

Edited by badbusdriver on 08/03/2021 at 14:44

Estate decision? - pd

Both good cars. Nothing wrong with the Superb at all and the current one fixed the seats (which I never got on well with) and rather cheap dash of the 2008-2015 one.

That said for similar money I'd take the Volvo. It simply feels the more upmarket and more expensive car that it is and is a nicer place to while away the hours.

If the Skoda is BA Club World and the Volvo BA First let's be honest they're both very good but for the same money we'd all take 1st.

Both good cars. Nothing wrong with the Superb at all and the current one fixed the seats (which I never got on well with) and rather cheap dash of the 2008-2015 one.

Looked at the 2008 -2015 version but the totally daft tailgate put us off, the Mrs couldn't pull it down so heavy. OK, she could use the smaller boot lid but that would not have worked with mother wheelchair.

That said for similar money I'd take the Volvo. It simply feels the more upmarket and more expensive car that it is and is a nicer place to while away the hours.

The Volvo should feel more upmarket, its the best part of £6000 more at broker prices. But the difference IMHO is small, certainly not worth £6000

If the Skoda is BA Club World and the Volvo BA First let's be honest they're both very good but for the same money we'd all take 1st.

No idea what BA Club is, am I missing something.

1. Sales are not about desirability, but brand perception, affordability and much more. Just because they offer a huge discount, it doesn’t mean they’re not wanted.

2. I’m not judging a car just based on the interior, but it tells a lot about build quality. Also, my “problem” was with the statement that a skoda and a volvo are very similar.

3. Volvo is a luxury brand, look it up. Skoda is a budget brand. Also, I drive a Mazda because I buy a car based on what I need, but that won’t change the fact that the volvo (or audi, porsche etc) is way above a mazda or skoda.

4. What Car reliability index is worthless, you should know if you attend a car forum. Ask those who had to change the oil pump drive shaft in their 2.0 TDI, those who can’t pull off in their 1.5 petrol VAG cars or those who need a bottle of oil in their boot to constantly top up the oil.
What Car reliability index is worthless, you should know if you attend a car forum. Ask those who had to change the oil pump drive shaft in their 2.0 TDI, those who can’t pull off in their 1.5 petrol VAG cars or those who need a bottle of oil in their boot to constantly top up the oil.

Bought 4 VAG cars since 2013 (and 4 more before that) and not had anything but excellent service. Never had to top up oil (even after 100,000 plus miles).

Before we bought the iV we tried 2 cars with the 1.5 TSi engine and drove one of them twice. Had read so much about the issues just needed to be sure that it was in the past. Drove both from stone cold and not a problem. Since we did not buy one it turned out to be irrelevant but I would still feel confident the risk is low to zero.

But whatever you feel about the What Car surveys (thought they were customer satisfaction an not simply reliability) Skoda always beat Volvo.

And whilst we are talking about reliability what about Mazda's terrible diesel issues?

I don’t know, I don’t drive diesels, but pretty much every manufacturer had “problem” diesels given they’re driven under the wrong circumstances. You either clog them or pollute the hell out of people.

1. Sales are not about desirability, but brand perception, affordability and much more. Just because they offer a huge discount, it doesn’t mean they’re not wanted.

By offering huge discounts, they are de-valuing the brand and negatively affecting the used values of existing Volvo's. Might be OK with a runout model but otherwise, not a good thing.

I’m not judging a car just based on the interior

"one is a luxury brand, the other is cheap plastic". Your words not mine, and they very much suggest you are.

but it tells a lot about build quality.

No, it doesn't tell you very much at all about build quality, It may tell you that the manufacturer is more interested an appearance than content though. Lack of rattles will tell you much more about build quality.

Also, my “problem” was with the statement that a skoda and a volvo are very similar.

Unless you are a badge snob, they are. Both are huge, capacious estate cars with the emphasis on comfort rather than handling.

Volvo is a luxury brand, look it up.

I did, they aren't, not as a brand. They make some cars which are luxurious, no question, but they also make cars which aren't. But for by far the most of Volvo (cars) 94 year history, they have made hardy, practical and utilitarian car's which can take a lot of abuse. Skoda also make some cars which are luxurious (as do Mazda). For pretty much all of Skoda's 126 year history, they have made hardy, practical, utilitarian cars which can take a lot of abuse. Hmm........

that won’t change the fact that the volvo (or audi, porsche etc) is way above a mazda or skoda.

That is your opinion, not fact. You really ought to be able to distinguish between the two.

What Car reliability index is worthless

The What Car survey is based on actual owner's actual experiences. It may not be the be all and end all, but it is clearly not worthless (unless of course, it goes against your preconceived opinions).

you should know if you attend a car forum.

This is a car forum.

Ask those who had to change the oil pump drive shaft in their 2.0 TDI, those who can’t pull off in their 1.5 petrol VAG cars or those who need a bottle of oil in their boot to constantly top up the oil.

I'm not saying Skoda's are the most reliable cars out there, just more reliable, overall, than Volvo's.

Estate decision? - RT
3. Volvo is a luxury brand, look it up. Skoda is a budget brand.

Was - not the same thing as is.

3. Volvo is a luxury brand, look it up. Skoda is a budget brand.

Was - not the same thing as is.

Its fair to say Skoda still offer budget cars such as the Citygo and cheaper Fabias. But cars like the Superb are definitely not budget cars, they are Audis in all but name.

Volvo don't offer cheaper cars, think the XC40 is as low as they go and that starts at about £30,000.

Perhaps that is why Skoda are perceived as a budget brand by some, simply because their basic car is 1/3 of the price of the most basic Volvo?

Yes mate, Skoda is Audi. Exactly the same thing, no difference at all :-).

Also, whoever said Mazda makes “luxury” vehicles, which ones are you talking about?

Yes mate, Skoda is Audi. Exactly the same thing, no difference at all :-).

Nobody said that.

Also, whoever said Mazda makes “luxury” vehicles, which ones are you talking about?

Nobody said that either.

they are Audis in all but name - skidpan, 2021

Sure?

And you said Mazda makes some vehicles which are “lucurious”... name ONE!

Edited by chris87 on 08/03/2021 at 19:46

"They are Audi's in all but name"

"Exactly the same thing, no difference at all"

Two different statements. First one, which skidpan actually said. and the second, which you implied skidpan said. Ergo nobody (apart from you) said the second.

You’re taking the mick now, but anyway...

At the end of the day skoda and volvo are completely different cars from a luxury perspective, so it doesn’t matter.
Estate decision? - mcb100

I'll take issue with the definition on Volvo as 'luxury'. Premium, yes, along with BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, Jaguar and Lexus.

Luxury is Rolls-Royce, Bentley and, maybe, a fully loaded S-Class Mercedes.

Semantics...
Estate decision? - Avant

This is a fairly arid argument. However hard the PR people might try, a brand is what the customer perceives it to be.

My last three cars have been Skoda, Volvo and now Audi. There isn't much to choose between them in terms of interior quality: in fact I'd place the Volvo (a V60) third because there was never enough lumbar support in the seats and the switch for the EPB was idiotically down by the driver's right knee.

And as mentioned above, interior quality - at least for most of us - isn't or shouldn't be the main criterion for choosing between cars. Both the Skoda and the Audi are far better to drive than the Volvo.

So going back to Nathan's OP, of those two I'd personally go for the Superb. But get a good long test drive of both when it's possible and decide which you prefer. Either will do a good job as a big estate car.

Estate decision? - KBB

My last three cars have been Skoda, Volvo and now Audi. There isn't much to choose between them in terms of interior quality: in fact I'd place the Volvo (a V60) third because there was never enough lumbar support in the seats and the switch for the EPB was idiotically down by the driver's right knee.

And as mentioned above, interior quality - at least for most of us - isn't or shouldn't be the main criterion for choosing between cars. Both the Skoda and the Audi are far better to drive than the Volvo.

Probably worth pointing out that, IIRC from other threads, your V60 was the previous generation (pre-2018) whereas I am assuming that the OP is looking at the post-2018 "SPA" version, which is a completely different beast from the previous model. Plenty of lumbar support in mine and the EPB is a switch on the dash, in the same place as the Superb.

"Better to drive" is rather subjective. Personally, I found the Superb quite wallowy and the V60 is much sharper but neither is really aimed at the keen driver. Comfort is the main priority in both.

Estate decision? - Metropolis.
I miss the days when choosing an estate car was easy. What colour would you like your Volvo sir?
I miss the days when choosing an estate car was easy. What colour would you like your Volvo sir?

Beige!

Seriously though, I'll have one of these thanks,

11420190.jpg

The V60 references are pretty pointless really, the OP is looking at the V90

but

the EPB is a switch on the dash, in the same place as the Superb.

the switch is not on the dash in the Superb, its exactly where you would find a handbrake lever i.e. on the console. Not that you need to use it, put it in auto and its brilliant.

"Better to drive" is rather subjective. Personally, I found the Superb quite wallowy and the V60 is much sharper but neither is really aimed at the keen driver. Comfort is the main priority in both.

Fair to say the Superb is no sports car but the iV has DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) as standard and it makes a difference. think there are 5 modes ranging form comfort to "nutter", just had ours in "normal" since we bought it and as I said, the car is sharper and less wallowy than the previous one. Its an option on other Superbs but it may be standard on the "sporty" one the OP is considering.

Estate decision? - KBB

The V60 references are pretty pointless really, the OP is looking at the V90

OK, had forgotten that he said V90, point taken, however, wouldn't say it is pointless as the V60 is just a smaller version of the V90. Styling wise they are similar, in fact almost indistinguishable until you know what to look for, interiors are very similar, software virtually identical, engines largely the same except the V90 has the D5 which is not available on the V60.

the EPB is a switch on the dash, in the same place as the Superb.

the switch is not on the dash in the Superb, its exactly where you would find a handbrake lever i.e. on the console. Not that you need to use it, put it in auto and its brilliant.

Again, sorry, it's the end of the day and I'm tired, I meant on the console, where you would expect to find a manual handbrake. Fantastic thing, as you say, stick it in Auto and never have to think about it.

Fair to say the Superb is no sports car but the iV has DCC (Dynamic Chassis Control) as standard and it makes a difference. think there are 5 modes ranging form comfort to "nutter", just had ours in "normal" since we bought it and as I said, the car is sharper and less wallowy than the previous one. Its an option on other Superbs but it may be standard on the "sporty" one the OP is considering.

That's interesting, didn't know the iV came with DCC as standard.

More of a 200 series man myself but I can certainly see the appeal of the one you linked to! The rims in particular are very retro-cool like something a modern tuner would fit to an old car by choice to make it look more modern!
Estate decision? - NAthan smith
Wow ok my original post has gone off on a tangent! Looking at a 2/3 year old example! Seat comfort is a point I’ve looked at the Sportline modes in the superb and they seem to have the bucket seats with some strange headrests! Superb did also win estate fee of the year if I remember aswell
Wow ok my original post has gone off on a tangent! Looking at a 2/3 year old example! Seat comfort is a point I’ve looked at the Sportline modes in the superb and they seem to have the bucket seats with some strange headrests! Superb did also win estate fee of the year if I remember aswell

Clearly you, correctly, think of them as very similar cars, which is why you have narrowed it down to those two cars, which is all that really matters.

Seat comfort is a very personal thing, so not much point in making too much of how someone else finds them. Just have to try them both, ideally on a long test drive.

But if comfort is a priority, maybe look at a spec which doesn't include the word 'sport'.

Estate decision? - Alby Back
All large estate cars are my favourite type of personal transport, and it would be difficult for me anyway, to be disappointed in any of them really. For my tastes/needs/wants they just tick all the boxes. The driving dynamics of a car, the comfort of a limousine and the load capacity of a van. Who could want more?

I've had all manner of them over the years, Volvos, Audis, Citroens, Fords, Mercedes, never had a Skoda, but they do look like a good package. In fact the only one I've had that wasn't really a pleasure to own was a Vauxhall due to its sketchy reliability.

So, I'm going to be no use at all to you Nathan, other than to reassure you that you should probably buy one of them. ;-)
I know you have already narrowed it down, and admittedly I cant find reference to your budget looking at this on the phone, but if it were me budget allowing I would go for one of these - maybe too small I cant really tell!
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/new/2021021...n

Out of your choices both have similar warranty, although I think Volvo has unlimited mileage on the V90? I also cant see on my phone if you are going manual or auto. If auto I would skip the Skoda. If manual I would have no issues with the Skoda. In S&K spec it can feel quite premium. The Volvo is a more complex a car and I suspect the Skoda will have less niggly faults if keeping out of warranty (gearbox excluded).

If both are the same year, mileage and equivalent spec in warranty, I would choose the Volvo just because I would feel smug knowing the company I bought from majors on safety, rather than value for money.