What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - Daniel Palin

I am looking at a 2016 mazda6 diesel with 50k, its a beautiful well speced car with low ish mileage.

Ii have read up on all the general opinions on the issues they suffer. I do around 25-30k a year so the car will be with me until at least the 150k mark. I am well aware of the dpf issues and have suffered badly with them on a BMW. But for the mileage and usage is it such a bad bet for me??

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - FP

When I bought a Mazda a few years ago I was determined to avoid the diesel engine and have been very satisfied with the petrol.

Mazda's history with diesels has been poor. More modern versions may be better and clearly not every Mazda diesel engine fails, but the question is, how lucky do you feel?

Other forum members may wish to comment, but I have a feeling most of us would say the same: avoid.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - Steveieb
It's hard to believe that a company as meticulous and innovative as Mazda who manufacture in Japan could have got it so wrong with their diesels. And the atrocious attitude of their dealers when things go wrong with these engines out of warranty.
But we still have no reports of improvements in the newer versions of the CX 5 etc
2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - madf

Don't buy a Mazda diesel unless you are a masochist.

Lots to go wrong.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - chris87

I’ll go against the flow. Yes, Mazda has had some problems with their diesel engines (all other brands have had too, just to stay on the objective side), but it’s mainly because Mazda tried to be clever and built all kinds of software based “utilities” to help those idiots who buy a diesel and drive it in town, mainly doing the school run. This led to poor engine management which in the longer run means huge, costly problems. Every diesel suffers from those, but Mazda seems to have made it worse. There’s nothing inherently wrong with their engine, it’s not that different from that of any other brand. For anything else diesel appropriate, such as for example long journeys and tens of thousands of miles, Mazda’s diesel is one of the finest cars you can buy. Given your circumstances, go for it, but ONLY if you are factually (not on the face of it) convinced that those are motorway miles. 50k miles in 2 years is a good sign, 50k in 7 years not so much...

Edited by Avant on 01/03/2021 at 10:50

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - Diogob

Based on my experience i would say avoid Mazda Diesel.

I have a Mazda CX-5 2.2D 2013 and my engine broke down within 3 months of owning it, since you like the Mazda 6 go for the Petrol version, that way you have the peace of mind and still the car/version you want, if i knew anything about Mazda diesels when i got mine i would have choosed the petrol version 100%

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - Manatee

Was this the oil dilution thing? If that's the only problem - although a pretty serious one - then presumably the answer is to monitor the oil level?

My Mitsubishi has 3 marks on the dipstick - low, high, and a big X above those. If the oil ever reaches the X I must get it drained and new oil. Can the Mazda be similarly looked after, does it also have a high tide marker?

It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of people ignore requirements like that with disastrous consequences.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - badbusdriver

You may well be correct in saying under ideal conditions the Mazda 2.2d is indeed reliable, in fact I'd be very surprised if there weren't owners out there who have had no problems at all with the engine.

But the car the OP is looking at is 5 years old and has covered 50k miles, so 10k per year. Which is a long way off the 25k per year you consider a "good sign", but very close to the 7 (and a bit) k you consider, "not so much..."

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - skidpan

Our neighbour bought a 63 plate Mazda 6 diesel about 2 years ago. He is a sole trader who made at least one weekly trip down the M1 then local for the rest of the week so should be fine.

Only had it a day when the dash lit up. Garage towed it away and returned it after 2 days fixed.

Since March last year no weekly trips down the M1, local only and not many at that so usage not ideal at all.

But since it was fixed originally no more issues which has surprised me for a Mazda (or any modern diesel in that use).

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - pd

Difficult to defend Mazda over their diesel mess. They are not, of course, the only car company to have ever sold a flawed design and then abandoned their customers but no reason they should escape criticism.

Simple fact is most diesels with DPFs work fine, for some reason Mazda's didn't. Furthermore when lots of them went pop they refused to admit any real liability and left their customers high and dry.

I quite like Mazdas on the whole and they make plenty of decent stuff but I can't say their customer back up deserves much praise. They weren't too hekpful with 2 year old RX-8s which wouldn't start either a few years back.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - skidpan

When we bought the first Superb the CX5 petrol interested us so went for a look, its only across from Skoda so killed 2 birds with one stone. Not as big as the Superb but big enough but the £400+ for a spare compared to £100 for the Skoda was a major cost. Then adding that spare lost boot space but it would still have been big enough, just.

We asked for a test drive but the sales chappy said they had no petrols and to take a test drive in a diesel since they were the same engine and drove exactly the same, usual idiot lying salesman. Said no and he suggested we went home and looked on Autotrader for a petrol, drive that and come back to him. At home put the details into Autotrader and the closest came up as being at the garage we had just been to, rang them up and it was available to drive.

Never went back, bought the Superb.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - jp2021

Whilst some people will have had faultless service, once it's out of manufacturers warranty I would NOT buy one .

Apart from needing very regular oil changes ( negating much of the cost saving ) I seem to recall the Mazda fix was a longer dip stick so the oil level was lower before it began to fill the sump with diesel. Hardly an engineering solution.

2018 2.2d - Mazda6 diesels - Daniel Palin

It's such a shame, I have long since admired these cars and the one I have found is perfect.

I'm always up for a challenge and would have probably gone with it in the past but my last bmw bit me hard on the dpf and cost about 3k to sort out (most of which was trying to find out why it failed in the first place) so I have no desire to go down that rabbit hole again.

Strange really as I have a f30 BMW now and have done 100k in it with absolutely no issues at all.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated