What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Polo, Mini or Jazz? - CarConundrum222

I am looking to buy a used car with a budget of £6000 - £8000 and I'm totally torn between a Mini, Jazz and Polo.

My 100% non negotiable is size - I want a small car that is easy to park. Other than that, considerations are speed (current have an old i10 - it would be nice to have something a little more exciting to drive), reliability, style (personally like the look of the Mini), cost to run and space for luggage.

I'm mostly a weekend driver, putting in a lot of miles in the summer for mini breaks and camping trips. Will want to mount a bike rack at some point too.

My head tells me the Jazz is the sensible choice, but my heart is with the Mini. I wonder if a Polo is the perfect compromise?

Great to get your views.

I'm currently looking at the below options:

www.approvedusedminis.co.uk/vehicle/20201228745223...5

usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/ho...r

usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/...7

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - badbusdriver

I am looking to buy a used car with a budget of £6000 - £8000 and I'm totally torn between a Mini, Jazz and Polo.

My 100% non negotiable is size - I want a small car that is easy to park. Other than that, considerations are speed (current have an old i10 - it would be nice to have something a little more exciting to drive), reliability, style (personally like the look of the Mini), cost to run and space for luggage.

I'm mostly a weekend driver, putting in a lot of miles in the summer for mini breaks and camping trips. Will want to mount a bike rack at some point too.

My head tells me the Jazz is the sensible choice, but my heart is with the Mini. I wonder if a Polo is the perfect compromise?

Great to get your views.

I'm currently looking at the below options:

www.approvedusedminis.co.uk/vehicle/20201228745223...5

usedcars.honda.co.uk/en/used-cars/approved-cars/ho...r

usedcars.volkswagen.co.uk/en/used-cars/volkswagen/...7

That Polo is a 2014, the Mini a 2015 and the Honda a 2018.

Out of those three, I'd have the Jazz any day of the week. Not just because it is the youngest and the most reliable, but also because having owned a 2017 Jazz for 3 years, I can also say that they are actually far more entertaining to drive than the sensible, staid OAP image would have you believe.

Don't like Mini's myself (apart from the original), so I'd discount that straight away (I believe they are not al that reliable either). That Polo, IMO, is far too dear. A Seat Ibiza or Skoda Fabia will get you into essentially the same car, but it will be newer and/or cheaper.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - skidpan

Minis are decent to drive but have no space either in the boot or the car.

The Jazz should be reliable and have plenty of space but my experience with the one dad had were the facts it had poor seats, a hard rise and was noisy. It was not great to drive either.

Forget the Polo, too expensive but we have a Skoda Fabia which is the same car with a slightly different body. Plenty of space, good to drive, reliable and if you get the 1.0 TSi (should be available at your budget) its surprisingly quick and very economical. The 95 PS version is fine but spend another few hundred on the 110 PS version and as well a a fair bit more go you also get a 6 speed box and better brakes.

Don't think you would get a latest model Ibiza for your budget and like the Polo they are not worth the extra.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - catsdad
I have never driven a MINI but have had Polo and Jazz as courtesy cars.

The Polo was a base model and felt very ordinary, just a bog standard small car. Maybe bigger engine models are better. The Jazz feels like a car from the class above much better trim and has considerable flexibility with the "magic seats". Much better space for camping gear.. Allegedly you can get a bike inside a Jazz using these seats but I think that's optimistic unless you take off both wheels and wrap its oily bits.

The Jazz also consistently tops reliability charts.

Finally I would second the Fabia. The estate version especially offers better space than the Polo.

Thanks for your thoughts @catsdad. Seems there is consensus on Fabia>Polo.

I do have faith in the Jazz's claim, as I've had my mountain bike (front wheel only removed) in the back of my i10!

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - daveycooper
Had a jazz for 6 years. Great car. Nippy. Bulletproof. Large boot and interior. Dad still runs it (car is now 18 years old) and whilst it is run into ground, when I get back in it still feels nippy around town. Noisy on motorway though

Had a mini after this. Nice but harsh ride on 17inch tyres. Great handling. Some minor electric glitches. Nothing serious though.

Polo: I know these can have many problems that you wouldn’t expect a vw to have.

For me it would be either mini or jazz. Jazz if only/mainly town driving. Mini for fun or if you do more A-roads etc

All the best
David

The Jazz should be reliable and have plenty of space but my experience with the one dad had were the facts it had poor seats, a hard rise and was noisy. It was not great to drive either.

Wasn't it the 2nd gen your Dad had?, if so, not the same dynamically. Seats are a highly personal thing, but while I liked the seats in our 3rd gen car, I wasn't as keen on the actual driving position. Yes, the ride was a bit on the firm side and more road noise than the best in class, but I wouldn't say the ride was uncomfortable or the noise excessive. Plus, ours was the EX, the car the OP is looking at is the SE which has narrower tyres with a taller sidewall which will help with both noise and ride.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - daveyK_UK
No brainier

In this order

1. Jazz
2. Jazz
3. Jazz

@badbusdriver - out of interest, what car would you consider to be best in class for this size? I know my budget is quite tight, but I wonder if I could get an older model of a 'better' car if you think there is one.

Wow, thanks for all your thoughts so far. Strong support for the Jazz!!

I had posted in the forum previously but didn't get round to buying as personal circumstances changed. I'm due to be moving out of London shortly and to the (relative) countryside. With this I expect will come more motorway driving. I saw @skidpan and @daveycooper mention noise as an issue with the Jazz, this also came up in some of the reviews I read. Would this be enough to put you off, if a bulk of your driving was soon to be motorway miles on the weekend?

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - sammy1

MINI every time for me for sheer driving pleasure. Skoda Fabia beats the other two and well worth considering. Honda are expensive for parts having once owned one.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Avant

I agree - I'd go for a Fabia in front of any of the others, although if you try a Jazz and like it, it's also a good choice. Keep the i10 until you're able to take some test drives.

Polo - no point in this as a Fabia is similar mechanically and cheaper (or newer for the same money). Also, a Fabia is a little bigger than a Mini but has a better turning circle, so should be easier to park.

Mini - used Minis can go expensively wrong. And please forgive the generalisation, but you're more likely to find a Fabia or a Jazz that's been driven considerately and properly looked after than in the case of a Mini.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Theophilus

Another very satisfied owner of a series of Jazz's - very spacious and adaptable inside, and ultra-reliable. I wouldn't know about expensive spare parts ... as from the experience of 4 Jazz models from generations 1 - 3 we have never had anything go wrong, other than needing to replace a battery (for £70) a few years ago.

We've found motorway cruising in our 3rd gen Jazz very acceptable for noise - though I prefer my CR-V for long-distance continental travel!

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - bazza

It's got to be between a jazz and a fabia hasn't it? The mini is far too compromised for motorway driving, loading up, weekend luggage etc. I've never understood why the jazz in the UK is seen as an older persons car, everywhere else it's the Honda fit and everyone drives them! I would have a spin in both. A fabia estate would be perfect. These TSI fabias are flying machines, I was smoked by one in my Civic last year, going up a steep dual carriageway at 70 odd. I couldn't catch it!

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - madf

I have a 2012 Jazz CVT whichs I have owned for eight years.

Apart from consumables, nothing has gone wrong.

The magic seats make carrying things easy. ( I have cariied 4 beehives complete with bees).

Very easy to park/drive around town.

Driven to Scotland and Bournemouth a few times: can be noisy ish over 70mph but quite composed.

I intend to keep it a few more years..I diy and pattern parts are easily accessible and cheap.DIY is simple.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - chris87
Mazda 3. A jazz is more suitable in your final years, to/from care home...
Mazda 3. A jazz is more suitable in your final years, to/from care home...

cheeky dos.

Thanks for all your comments - I've got two test drives booked in tomorrow (for which I had to put a refundable deposit down on each...!), so hopefully I can narrow it down between the Jazz and the Fabia.

Thanks for all your comments - I've got two test drives booked in tomorrow (for which I had to put a refundable deposit down on each...!), so hopefully I can narrow it down between the Jazz and the Fabia.

Test drives are not allowed currently under Covid Rules, its not classed as essential.

If you are caught you will be fined.

Better wait for the rules to change, shouldn't be long.

Hey @skidpan, a couple of recent articles suggest it is okay:

www.whatcar.com/news/can-i-still-buy-a-car-during-...0

news.motors.co.uk/visiting-a-dealership-during-cor.../

*fingers crossed*

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Metropolis.
Jazz every day of the week. I dont understand why they called it Jazz though, instant demographic restriction. It is called the Fit elsewhere and is very popular amongst the youth in parts of Asia.
Polo, Mini or Jazz? - SteVee

I own a 2014 jazz cvt. Excellent car, can certainly carry a bicycle inside. A bike rack might be forbidden on the mk2 jazz though. Check the handbook if this is important.

I own a 2014 jazz cvt. Excellent car, can certainly carry a bicycle inside. A bike rack might be forbidden on the mk2 jazz though. Check the handbook if this is important.

The OP is looking at a 3rd gen Jazz, not a 2nd gen.

Also, 'forbidden' is an odd choice of word, surely a bike rack is either legal to use on a car or not?. And why would it not be, if a tow bar is available for a Jazz (they are, I've seen them), the only reason you wouldn't be able to mount a bike rack on it would be if it exceeded the weight limit for said tow bar. I can't see that happening unless the bike or bikes being carried are very heavy!. Looking on a website which sells bike racks, there are three different types listed as being available for both the 2nd and 3rd gen Jazz, tow bar mounted, tailgate mounted and roof mounted, though obviously with the first and last types, you will need a tow bar or roof bars.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Xileno

Probably the Jazz. Why such a restrictive list though? I would have a Fiesta ahead of either the Polo or MINI, provided it's the excellent 1.25 Yamaha engine.

Hey @skidpan, a couple of recent articles suggest it is okay:

www.whatcar.com/news/can-i-still-buy-a-car-during-...0

news.motors.co.uk/visiting-a-dealership-during-cor.../

*fingers crossed*

Just had a read and it seems that it is possibly the opinion of solicitors (would they defend yo for free if you were taken to court and pay your fine in convicted?) and there are conditions attached.

You have to pay a deposit before the test drive and whilst that should be refundable how long would the garage take to process the refund, bet it would be instant. And one of the articles suggest that you would need to insure the car yourself which would be a major expense, short term insurance is not cheap and if you transfer the insurance form your own car would temporarily be left uninsured and you would be paying 2 admin fees.

Just wait until late March/early April for the new rules to take effect. Surely you are not that desperate to risk flouting the rules.

Wasn't it the 2nd gen your Dad had?,

Dads car was indeed the update model that supposedly had a better ride, interior etc, god help the originals.

Over the 5 years he owned it totally reliable and spares were not that bad. In truth he only needed a door mirror (broken off in car park) and for a electric adjust, electric heated fitted by Honda dealer it was under £200. No cost to paint, they came done to the correct colour saving a visit to the body shop.

It simply had to go when mum found getting in and out far to difficult. We suggested a Micra (she found ours fine) but initially she resisted since she found the doors too big (our was a 3 door), once she had tried a 5 door she was happy. The ride on that car was way better, it was quieter, it was a bit quicker but just a bit smaller.

Since the Fabia is way better than the Micra (which was better than the Jazz) its hard to see how a Jazz is the best car, unless of course the latest Jazz is far better. But since the OP's budget will only stretch to a 2014 car that is not the case.

Fabia has been a WhatCar 5* car for years winning its class many times. The Jazz has long been an owners favourite but its not really been a class leader.

The OP need to drive both (when its legal to do so) and decide for themselves.

For the record we looked at the latest Jazz when we bought the Fabia. To get one with similar performance and kit would have cost us about £8000 more and they don't have the magic seats now.

Wasn't it the 2nd gen your Dad had?,

For the record we looked at the latest Jazz when we bought the Fabia. To get one with similar performance and kit would have cost us about £8000 more and they don't have the magic seats now.

"Four six-foot tall adults can sit comfortably inside the Jazz, which boasts class-leading rear legroom according to Honda. Headroom is generous too, and the Jazz still features its famous 'Magic Seats', where the bases flip-up like cinema seats, providing a tall and uninterrupted loading space behind the front seats."

www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=D...E

It's the latest Civic that doesn't have the magic seats any more.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - KB.

In his opening words the OP said his budget wa between £6k and £8k so skiidpan's observation that "For the record we looked at the latest Jazz when we bought the Fabia. To get one with similar performance and kit would have cost us about £8000 more and they don't have the magic seats now". isn't particularly relevant cozthe OP isn't going to get anything brand new in his budget..

And offering an opinion is one thing but stating as a fact that "they don't have the magic seats now" is just plain wrong.

"Four six-foot tall adults can sit comfortably inside the Jazz, which boasts class-leading rear legroom according to Honda. Headroom is generous too, and the Jazz still features its famous 'Magic Seats', where the bases flip-up like cinema seats, providing a tall and uninterrupted loading space behind the front seats."

4 adults can sit comfortably in the Fabia as well. I am 5'9" and with the driving seat in my position I have adequate leg room in the rear to sit very comfortably.

The Jazz we looked at was 3 years ago, its a new model now. That may have the magic seats, pretty sure the one we were shown didn't. It did have plenty of space in the car but when you fitted a spare boot space was lost. In the Fabia a full size spare fits under the floor with no loss of space. I am pretty sure with a spare (which I admit not everyone wants) the Fabia has a bigger boot.

But the simple fact was that the Jazz was never worth the £8k premium unless you were a driver who valued a Honda badge over common sense.

In his opening words the OP said his budget wa between £6k and £8k so skiidpan's observation that "For the record we looked at the latest Jazz when we bought the Fabia. To get one with similar performance and kit would have cost us about £8000 more and they don't have the magic seats now". isn't particularly relevant cozthe OP isn't going to get anything brand new in his budget.

Correct but my point was the car we bought 3 years ago would now be in the OPs up to £8k budget but the Jazz that we looked at (£8k more) would still be well out of the OP's budget.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - SteVee

The Jazz Mk2 User Guide states 'A normal bike rack must not be fitted to the tailgate.'

It can carry up to 55Kg (45Kg with glass roof) on a roof rack.

You could fit a tow bracket to a manual jazz (the cvt is not designed for towing) and mount up to 95Kg - but the jazz is not a good tow car and you are very unlikely to find one with a tow bar, and I would not want a jazz that had a tow bar fitted.

Most Honda Fits will have the 1.5L engine which is maybe why they have a younger following in other markets.

Personally, I find there is plenty of space inside the jazz for my cycle

Whilst out walking this afternoon had another couple of thoughts. When the Mrs needed a new car back in 2015 she wanted another MPV style car since she had liked her C-Max but nothing as big this time. First we looked at was the Kia Venga but the passenger seat was way too high for her mother to get onto so that was out. The Jazz was also out since the seat base slopes down to the rear making getting out difficult. So we looked at the Nissan Note having been very happy with Nissans in the past. Bingo, ticked all the boxes. We bought a 1.2 DIG-S and she loved it, that was until as infirmity made it very difficult for her mother to get in and out of it which is why we bought the Fabia, height adjust passenger seat. The Note was a really spacious car and well equipped. Worth a look.

Then in a small garage I spotted an 18 plate Suzuki Baleno. Same size as a Fabia, 1250cc petrol and if its typical Suzuki it will just keep going. This one has a full dealer service history and only 7200 miles on the clock. Less than your budget at under £7000. You don't see that many of these though.

Dads car was indeed the update model that supposedly had a better ride, interior etc, god help the originals.

The point is you are giving an opinion on how the 3rd gen Jazz drives without having driven one. How your Dad's one drove and how the seats were is irrelevant as it was a 2nd gen.

The Jazz we looked at was 3 years ago, its a new model now. That may have the magic seats, pretty sure the one we were shown didn't.

All Jazz models from the first to the current 4th gen (hybrid only) have the magic seats.

For the OP, I realise it is a bit late now, but whether or not the Jazz is best in class depends on what you want out of the car, what your expectations are, and what you plan to do with it. We got the Jazz when we did because it ticked all the boxes I wanted ticking. The Yaris would also have ticked them, but it had a smaller boot and no magic seats.

I keep going back to your Mini option though. Not because I rate them, because as said, I very much don't. But because the inclusion of it suggests that practicality and space maybe isn't as important a factor as some are thinking. To that end (depending on how you got on with your test drives today), I'd suggest looking at the Mazda 2. This is a much more 'driver focussed' car, like the Mini, it is certainly less practical and spacious than the Jazz, but more so than the Mini. It rides and handles really well, they are very reliable, (imo) they are a really nice looking car, and not that common.

The Mazda 2 could well be an option for the OP - one that is often forgotten, as is the Suzuki Baleno which never sold very well, perhaps through a lack of any obvious USP.

Carconundrum say that s/he needs the car for mini-breaks and camping trips. The Mini wouldn't be much use for that unless only one or two people are on the trip.

The Jazz 2015- 2020 has magic seats and can take a full size spare wheel without compromising the boot.

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Chrome

I seem to remember reading that the Jazz is a prime target for catalytic converter theft, as such I would avoid this car. If ever my owned from new 14yr old Kia Rio expires I would be looking at Fiat Panda / Suzuki Swift / Kia Picanto / Toyota Yaris.

Catalyst converter theft on the Jazz affected the very first Jazz, no issues on anything built since 2008.
Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Bolt
Catalyst converter theft on the Jazz affected the very first Jazz, no issues on anything built since 2008.

they fitted an undertray to cut down on theft on 2008 Jazz and Accord, and 2015 models fitted under the bonnet close to manifold to make them harder to get to....

Polo, Mini or Jazz? - Chrome

they fitted an undertray to cut down on theft on 2008 Jazz and Accord, and 2015 models fitted under the bonnet close to manifold to make them harder to get to..

Many thanks for the update & I stand corrected! Actually really good to learn that Honda are on the ball with responding to this issue.

they fitted an undertray to cut down on theft on 2008 Jazz and Accord, and 2015 models fitted under the bonnet close to manifold to make them harder to get to....

It would take more than 2 minutes to steel teh cat on my 2012 Mark2 Jazz.