What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Would you buy a write off? - Gordon the golfer

Just wondering if anyone here would buy a damaged and repaired salvage car for 35% off the retail price?

Seller has before and after pics. looks like light damage and he's done the work himself and run the car for a couple of months.

Would you buy a write off? - chris87
Not really. I got a brand new one for 30% off list price (mint). Why would I pay a similar price for a wreck?
Would you buy a write off? - bazza

Is it really worth risking buying a write off you don't know? I would only buy my own car back if I had seen what happened and had a rough idea of impact severity, even then it would have to be minimal outlay, minimal cosmetic damage etc. Very difficult to sell on, I would consider it as dead money if you buy, be careful!

Would you buy a write off? - tim10597

No, never. And unless the seller is a professional, you don’t know the standard of work carried out or whether there’s hidden damage that has been concealed. As others have said, resale may also prove tricky.

Would you buy a write off? - Steveieb
So many aluminium cars written off these days and repaired and sold as cat d because the repair facilities are hard to find
Would you buy a write off? - badbusdriver

No way would I buy I write off, too many risks regarding the standard of repair.

Would you buy a write off? - Andrew-T

Just wondering if anyone here would buy a damaged and repaired salvage car for 35% off the retail price?

I presume you don't mean off the price of a NEW car, but two-thirds of what you would expect to pay for an undamaged, unrepaired used car ?

If the price is modest, and the car has passed (say) two annual MoT's since being repaired, and you trust the seller to have told you the full story, with bills for the work - I just might. If the work is recent, so it looks like a 'patch it up and get rid' job, no, I wouldn't.

Would you buy a write off? - bathtub tom

I recall a colleague who bought such a car. Looked great, but after a couple of years he found the welded repairs corroding.

There's no substitution for the original dipping, primer, new car process. What happened was the welding destroyed any paint on the inside, hidden sections of the bodywork, leaving bare metal. There was no way that could be protected.

Would you buy a write off? - sammy1

Cat D and now N are well worth a look. Cat S usually means structural damage and is recorded on the V5.

Modern cars in D and N are usually bolt on panels bumpers doors lights etc and are assessed by engineers in the insurance industry. They are normally written off as the cost to repair by insurance is usually too expensive for the value of the retail car.

Buying a cat D or N can sometimes mean you can afford to buy a much latter model of car for the some money as a good one,

A lot of apparently "good" cars have had body work or perhaps more serious damage and are on the market as HPI clear. You have to be very careful.

Whatever you are buying say cat D or N it will always be valued as such. These cars can be good value if you intend keeping for a while as depreciation catches up and as the value deteriorates the wright off car is not far away from the "good" ones.

Modern cars are very complicated so check everything is working as it should and things like the airbag system and air con are intact. Don't just be blinded by the money!

Would you buy a write off? - RT

It's a wierd concept that cars can be written off because the cost of a proper repair is uneconomic but a lower standard repair is permitted. I wouldn't touch any category of write-off.

Modern cars in D and N are usually bolt on panels bumpers doors lights etc and are assessed by engineers in the insurance industry. They are normally written off as the cost to repair by insurance is usually too expensive for the value of the retail car.

I think it all depends when the car was written off. A car written off at 6 years old or more may have hardly been 'damaged' at all, at least structurally. Like mine, which was written off aged 8. I 'bought it from the insurers' and the repair cost me another £200 or so. Still running as before, the cost was panels, headlamp unit, bumper, aircon - all bolt-on items plus labour and paint.

Would you buy a write off? - Xileno

Too many variables to give a definitive answer. 35% of a Sandero wouldn't be many thousands saved, whereas off a Range Rover it would be. I would definitely want to know who has done the work (reputation etc.) plus I would want it professionally inspected,possibly at that point I might consider it. Also I would only buy on the basis I would be keeping it until it died, as re-selling could be tricky, although maybe once it's into 'bargain basement' people are less concerned.

Would you buy a write off? - Rumfitt

I bought a Cat D TVR Griffith once - it was rebuilt better than the factory!

It's been lovingly cherished ever since and is in excellent order, with receipts for all the professional work done and a ton of new parts.

It was around 50% of the cost of a non-written-off example.

Go in with your eyes open and inspect it very, very carefully. You won't get much for it when the time comes to sell, but you've had the opportunity to enjoy a newer/better car than you would normally otherwise have done.

There are a few salvage repair channels on YouTube and it's fascinating how they take daunting write-offs and repair and fettle them back to full health.

My neighbour bought a Fiesta that he later found out to have been involved in a major front end collision.. It was still under warranty but the retailing garage and Ford refused to carry out the necessary repairs and he ended up with a £500 bill.

Maybe the damage was not serious enough to write the car off in this case but seriously affect the handling ?

Would you buy a write off? - skidpan

A small back street garage near us had a damaged 60 plate Kia Picanto on the front early in lockdown last March. Bashed front NS wing, bashed front bumper, looked cosmetic but see more later. Back in Otober it appeared on the forecourt repaired and looking nice with print offs in the side window sowing the work done and confirming it was a Class S car so it must have gone deeper than it looked. But it all looked above board.

The price was just under £3000, now its down to £2000. Looking on Autotrader you can get a 60 plate Picanto in white with very low miles, good MOT history and not a write off for exactly £2000.

So who is going to buy a Class S car?

my bro in law has a 5 year old merc that got written off and he got paid just under £12k for the car. insurance sold the car back to him for £3300 and he bought rear suspension, rear quarter panel skin, rear door for £700 and had it fitted and painted at a garage for £500. he's been running it for 3 years and has done 60k miles since, no probs. insurance cat C. servere damage apparently lol

also a bloke at work had his clio written off by a drunk driver. he was asked to send images of the damage and the insurers wrote the car off looking at the images. he bought it back and just knocked the dent out of the quarter panel and door and had it painted. doesnt make sence.

Once a airbag goes off that’s it, the car is written off for good, as in the case of my sons five series.

Would you buy a write off? - RT

The cost of replacing front airbags and the dashboard assembly is huge, hence the economic write-off.

Would you buy a write off? - Warning

It depends on the age of the car and the type of repair.

#1 - I had one car written off by the insurance, for a damage to the tail light and bumper. It was an older car, but it was a scam by the insurance company, as they keep my insurance premium (so I paid 12 months insurance, but the accident happened 1 month into the policy). They wanted to keep the remainder of the 11 months of the insurance premium. They claimed they had paid out, so insurance policy would be cancelled. Plus, I had a £350 excess.... So not only do they keep my 12 month insurance premium, but they also keep my car (which had minor damage), they also deduct the £350. So if I bought a replacement car, I would have to buy a brand new 12 month insurance policy, plus my premiums would be jacked up due to loss of no claims bonus. Insurance companies are crooks.

#2 - Back in 2016, I bought a 4 year old car, but found it was making a noise changing into second gear. Found an invoice for a bumper change in the glove box. Contacted previous owner (prior to purchase), who told me it was a great car and that I should buy it. He did tell me the car had hit a lamppost. When I contacted him again about the gear change noise, he did n't respond. The car dealer (supermarket), was going to carry out a number of repairs to fix the noise (I forget now). I rejected the car, as they were going to put in non-original parts, invalidating the manufacturer's warrantee.

Edited by Warning on 16/02/2021 at 13:22

It depends on the age of the car and the type of repair.

#1 - I had one car written off by the insurance, for a damage to the tail light and bumper. It was an older car, but it was a scam by the insurance company,

As has been said many times, a car need not be written off for the cost of a minor repair. You could have 'bought' the car back, had it repaired to the insurer's satisfaction, and continued the policy. As you say, it depends on the age of the car and the extent of damage.

Would you buy a write off? - DeejayP999

Well, it depends. My last car was written off with very minor panel damage. We could have continued driving the car quite safely without even bothering to repair it. But a couple of secondhand panels (or someone willing to knock the dents out) could easily have seen it back in perfect condition. A new car that's been written off probably had extensive damage. An older car could be written off with something as minor as a dented door.

Would you buy a write off? - jp2021

If it is only light damage, then probably ok . Anything with airbags deployed, water damage, stolen recovered probably not - too many problems potentially.

As mentioned selling it on can be a problem, the trade avoid them and private punters may be put off . If you are going to run it into the ground then fair enough - any insurance payout on a further claim will be low and may attract investigation.

Finally make sure you can insure it at a sensible price- some cheap insurers we use now wont quote.