What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Trilogy.

Looks a gimmick to me. www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/new-tesla-%E2%...k

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - badbusdriver

Hmm............

8ap2uxopr45z.jpg

;-)

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - movilogo

I mostly hold the upper part of the steering wheel - 10 to 2 position.

But why - saving on half steering may be a good profit over a million cars?

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Engineer Andy

Hmm............

8ap2uxopr45z.jpg

;-)

Beat me to the punch there, BBD! And the Tesla can't jump over stuff, plus the K2K is properly fully autonomous... :-)

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - mcb100
Depends on the ratio of the steering rack. If a driver can get from full lock to full lock without having to let go, it’ll work well enough.
Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - corax
Depends on the ratio of the steering rack. If a driver can get from full lock to full lock without having to let go, it’ll work well enough.

Except that it would mean that the steering is high geared, and consequently quite direct and twitchy. Not very pleasant on long journeys.

It's not really a wheel anymore. It should be called a 'directional enabler device' or some other overcomplicated nonsense.

I suppose, being electric, the gearing could be changed according to speed.

Edited by corax on 07/02/2021 at 11:36

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Andrew-T

'Yoke', or joke ?

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - badbusdriver

saab_9000_prometheus_goodwood_anorak_21051801.jpg

Could be worse (better?)!

But seriously, as has been said, the ratio of the steering would be key here. I'd have to try it first, but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it as a gimmick before that.

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - bathtub tom

This has already been done decades ago: tinyurl.com/yg4a49ax

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like Tesla have bought a job lot of old stock Allegro quartic steering wheels and cut them in half .
Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - primus 1

Very knight rider..

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Terry W

Power steering is generally said to date back to 1951 (Chrysler). Power steering was only more universally adopted in the 1990s.

The arms flailing 4 turns lock to lock approach of navigating a vehicle is a legacy system.. If a less intrusive, at least as safe alternative can be fitted which means you can pretend to be piloting a fighter jet up the M1 - whats not to like?

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - mcb100
And with increasing levels of automation, the steering wheel becomes less frequently used item.
Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Trilogy.

The bus and train beckon.

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - catsdad
It might be safer from hand injuries from airbags? Presumably as you can only hold it in one way you hands will not be exposed to the force of the bag going off.
Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Bilboman

The BMW Z22 from 1999 had a rectangular wheel, so Tesla certainly didn't reinvent the, erm... www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oWnzE8LrWI

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Avant

It looks as if Tesla are thinking of going back to the tiller.

I wonder if it's occurred to them that when the steering wheel replaced the tiller in about 1900, there might just have been a reason for it.

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - Bolt

I read that Tesla are going to use a wired electro magnet join instead of a manual joint between steering column and rack.

being computerised the wheel can be programmed to give full lock in a quarter turn or half turn, it can also be used autonomously to drive itself but with emergency takeover by driver

The system may also be used in other cars but with slight variation in design due to patent

Im not sure the system has been safety passed yet but wait and see, there are variations of this tech

Would you buy a car with half a steering wheel? - edlithgow

Wish I had.

Achtung (Triumph) Spitfeuer

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0z9...U

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqIt...U

I bought a Heinkel instead (round steering wheel but roomier)

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1285688

Mine was 17055 quid cheaper than that one, and about half a century younger.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/02/2021 at 12:25