What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - autumnboy

I purchased a car via the 'Click and Collect' due to current conditions.

On arrival by delivery of a logistics firm, I am rejecting the car due to repairs not carried out as promised by the Franchise dealer.

Within their policy of purchase with dealer, I had to purchase its Road Tax and Ins before delivery.

Now that the car is being returned under thier 14 Day money back guarantee,

How do I get a refund for the Tax from the DVLA without remaining a previous keeper of the car being returned to the dealer.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - sammy1

Good question! I don't know but for anyone else insist the car is delivered on dealers insurance and on trade plates, or some other watertight basis.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - daveyjp

Previous keeper details are no longer on the V5c.

The dealer should be able to contact DVLA to get the matter sorted so you get a full refund.

The dealer should be able to contact DVLA to get the matter sorted so you get a full refund.

Sorry, I cannot see how ones purchase mistake is a problem for the DVLA , you will probably lose a months road tax depending when it was purchased and up to you to sort out your insurance.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - Bromptonaut

The VED is effectively part of the cost of purchase. Historically the dealer would have supplied it with a tax disc and added the cost to the invoice. It's only since the disc's abolition and replacement by pay on line that you incur the cost directly.

I doubt there's a mechanism for DVLA to refund it, you'll need to pursue the dealer for it as a consequential loss. Whether it's worth it for a twelfth of the annual tax is another question.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - RT

The VED is effectively part of the cost of purchase. Historically the dealer would have supplied it with a tax disc and added the cost to the invoice. It's only since the disc's abolition and replacement by pay on line that you incur the cost directly.

I doubt there's a mechanism for DVLA to refund it, you'll need to pursue the dealer for it as a consequential loss. Whether it's worth it for a twelfth of the annual tax is another question.

I doubt the current month's tax is reclaimable - but worth pursuing for the other 11/12

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - Zippy123

AIUI there is no refund on the £20 tax but there is on higher rates.

When we got our pre-reg car it was 1 day old. The dealer commented that they had paid £20 for the tax which should be OK for the year and another £20 the next day when it was registered to us (though obviously in the cost of the car) and would get no refund.

I doubt the current month's tax is reclaimable - but worth pursuing for the other 11/12

I'd assumed that a franchised dealer with a money back guarantee would have a process in place to put a rejected car back into stock and generate an automatic refund for the remaining eleven whole months. If not than OP will need to pursue that either with dealer or DVLA.

If the tax for the 'wasted' month is significant then I think OP will get nowhere with DVLA but has a consequential loss for which the dealer ought to be liable. Might be the same if cancellation of insurance resulted in time on cover being charged at a punitive daily rate.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - skidpan

Cannot see the issue. When a car is sold or PX'd the transfer of ownership automatically generates a refund of the remaining tax to the last keeper. A cheque soon arrives after the acknowledgment of change of ownership.

Cannot see the issue.

If I buy and tax car on 1st Feb then reject it and return it to the dealer on the third I'll only get 11 months of tax back. For a car with low emissions the lost month is a nugatory amount; not saying it's not worth a try to get £10 back but there's a limit ti the effort £10 justifies.

OTOH once it's emitting over 150g of CO2 per Km its >£40 and significant to justify time etc spent.

Cannot see the issue.

If I buy and tax car on 1st Feb then reject it and return it to the dealer on the third I'll only get 11 months of tax back. For a car with low emissions the lost month is a nugatory amount; not saying it's not worth a try to get £10 back but there's a limit ti the effort £10 justifies.

OTOH once it's emitting over 150g of CO2 per Km its >£40 and significant to justify time etc spent.

Depends on the age of the car. All cars registered after 01 April 2017 have had a flat rate VED, currently £150 for petrol and diesel, £140 for a hybrid. Thats about £12.5 a month.

Cars costing over £40,000 pay and extra £350 a year for the first 5 years. Adds another £30 a month approx.

Under the previous system where it rose an the CO2 increased it could be an insignificant amount (i.e £0) or a very significant amount. but without knowing the VED rate of the car we cannot guess how much the OP stands to loose.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - Andrew-T

<< For a car with low emissions the lost month is a nugatory amount; >>

Just as an aside, Bromp, where did you get this 'nugatory' from ? I know it's a dictionary word, but I cannot recall ever seeing it in over 70 years, except in your posts :-) Sounds like civil service to me :-))

<< For a car with low emissions the lost month is a nugatory amount; >>

Just as an aside, Bromp, where did you get this 'nugatory' from ? I know it's a dictionary word, but I cannot recall ever seeing it in over 70 years, except in your posts :-) Sounds like civil service to me :-))

Per the dictionary; of little value.

I've no idea how it crept into my vocab over last 40 years but legal submissions read in the service of the Ministry of Justice and its predecessors would be a reasonable stab.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - bathtub tom

Have you got it writing that they would carry out the repairs? If so, then it was misrepresented to you and you could expect them to cover any costs.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - RT

Cannot see the issue. When a car is sold or PX'd the transfer of ownership automatically generates a refund of the remaining tax to the last keeper. A cheque soon arrives after the acknowledgment of change of ownership.

It's change of registered keeper, not ownership, which triggers that - when a car is returned to a dealer for refund, no change of keeper occurs

Cannot see the issue. When a car is sold or PX'd the transfer of ownership automatically generates a refund of the remaining tax to the last keeper. A cheque soon arrives after the acknowledgement of change of ownership.

It's change of registered keeper, not ownership, which triggers that - when a car is returned to a dealer for refund, no change of keeper occurs

Keeper, ownership is irrelevant in this case, they are just legal terms.

Since the current non-transfer VED system was introduced I have bought 4 cars and sold/PX'd 4 cars.

For the cars I have disposed of, like I said above a cheque for the remainder of the tax arrives a few days after the transfer.

The cars I have bought (new and used) the dealer has taxed them on my behalf before collection at the same time registering the cars in my name. They have given me a print off showing this has been done. If I had rejected any of those 4 cars the dealer would then have to put the car back into trade just like they would a PX which would trigger an auto refund. Also, if I had rejected a car I would also have to send back the small bit of the V5C that informs the DVLA that ownership has changed immediately ensuring i would not get any fines for actions after I had no responsibility for that car.

Agree with Skidpan above that dealer would take the car back into trade and notify the DVLA who would issue VED refund to the previous owner. BUT you would lose a months TAX as the DVLA do not refund partial months. The dealer notifies the DVLA not the owner. IF you later receive a V5 you are asked to destroy it. This applies to all dealer trade ins.

Rejected car back to dealer - Road tax Refund ? - pd

Don't destroy the new V5!

The dealer cannot put it back into trade status without it. What you should do is once you receive it, notify the DVLA yourself and then send the V5 to the dealer.

Some dealers are also withholding parts of refunds until they receive the V5 back to ensure people post them.