What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - _

www.dailymail.co.uk/money/cars/article-9154981/MG5...l

Doesn't anyone check anymore before releasing vehicles?

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - badbusdriver

They look like 'normal' roof rails, so it makes me wonder why they specified ones incapable of supporting any weight?.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - Heidfirst

it's possible that the roof structure is incapable of bearing a load no matter what bars were fitted.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - Bromptonaut

it's possible that the roof structure is incapable of bearing a load no matter what bars were fitted.

A 'panoramic' roof can create difficulties in that regard too.

They look like 'normal' roof rails, so it makes me wonder why they specified ones incapable of supporting any weight?.

It's not clear whether the issue is the bars themselves or whether it's a structure/stability issue as to the car's capacity to take roof loads. Is there an equivalent ICE powered version and what is said about it's roof carrying capacity?

If I had a decent sized estate car I'd expect to be able to carry a couple of bikes minimum. Our BX would take 100 kg on the roof and the Xantia 75. Four family MTB and the bars/racks were close to the limit for the Xantia. We also had to adjust between boot and roof box on camping holidays for the same reason.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - RT

It's MG just carrying on the BMC traditions!

The roof structure has to be capable of supporting the weight of the car (considerable, being an EV, and most of that weight is on the floor) if it ends up upside down after an accident so I very much doubt the structure of the car is a factor.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - _

The roof structure has to be capable of supporting the weight of the car (considerable, being an EV, and most of that weight is on the floor) if it ends up upside down after an accident so I very much doubt the structure of the car is a factor.

Best answer so far,

I wonder what MG say about the roof of the car, but isn't it thr A?B?C?D illars that have to also support in a crash.

I cannot find an NCAP rating for this car.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - madf

err.

I supect the roof is safe for a rollover but of course the roof will deform - the strength is in the A.B and C posts.

It is likely that the roof deforms just a little with the original rated loads - especially if loaded roughly

err.

I supect the roof is safe for a rollover but of course the roof will deform - the strength is in the A.B and C posts.

It is likely that the roof deforms just a little with the original rated loads - especially if loaded roughly

No, the strength is in the A,B and C posts plus the crossbars going across and lengthwise, they all combine to make the strength, like a cage.

A cage which has to support 1500kg were the car upside down. But you think putting 100kg of load on the roof (that is the max roof load of the Kia E Niro) would deform the structure?.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - madf

err.

No, the strength is in the A,B and C posts plus the crossbars going across and lengthwise, they all combine to make the strength, like a cage.

A cage which has to support 1500kg were the car upside down. But you think putting 100kg of load on the roof (that is the max roof load of the Kia E Niro) would deform the structure?.

I said " the roof defrorms just a little" That is enough to make customers complain and is not cheaply fixable..

I suspect that is what happened with a full load...the roof skin wrinkes.

Plenty of cars where the roof bar limit is way under 100kg. In fact perhaps not many where it's even that.

The has to be a reason why MG have taken this step.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - mcb100
Reading the article, it seems like MG playing it ultra safe in terms of any potential litigation. They mention missing engineering data and not being to quote a weight figure until data is validated by SAIC.
I’d be pretty sure it’s more than capable of using cross bars and attendant accessories, and once everyone has the relevant data it will be authorised.
MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - Ian_SW

They aren't the first car to have this problem.

The roof 'rails' on the current Astra Estate are purely a decorative feature and not load bearing. If you want to fit a roof rack, it fits to fixed positions in exactly the same way as would be done on a car without the rails fitted.

In that case though they are fairly obviously too flimsy to support roof bars, whereas those ones on the MG5 are meant to at least look robust.

For any cars which have been sold, I wonder if this will require a VOSA safety recall as the outcome would be quite dangerous if those rails detached on the motorway with a couple of bikes on top. I'm not sure what the recall would be though, other than perhaps fixing large "Do Not Use" stickers to the rails. They wouldn't be able to remove the rails on affected cars as it would leave a hole in the roof.

It does beg the question why they fitted them in the first place though. Big fixed rails like that will have some adverse effect on aerodynamics, as well if they are anything like the ones on my Octavia make an irritating noise when driving on the motorway with a strong cross-wind.

MG5 battery electric vehicle - Unsafe roofbars.. Don't load them - Sofa Spud

How about a decorative tow-hitch to go with one's decorative roof bars. The tow-hitch could be made of plastic and attach to the rear bumper by means of an adhesive pad. As a safety precaution, the hitch could be so designed that it instantly detaches from the bumper if anyone attempts to tow even the smallest of trailers.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/01/2021 at 17:03