What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Stellantis - PSA and FCA - Trilogy.

www.reuters.com/article/stellantis-deal/after-long...P

Stellantis - PSA and FCA - Metropolis.

As somebody mentioned on another thread about this, wouldn't it be cool if we got the hellcat engine over here. I actually really like the Challenger and Charger, I know they are based on an old Mercedes platform but they are just so blue collar it's nice to see. In Police trim with steelies they just look the part.

Unfortunatley that's unlikely to happen especially with Carrie running number 10.

Added to that, most mergers (as far as I can see) usually do things the wrong way around. Ideally it would be American engines, Italian designers, French rust proofing.. who to do the electronics I am not sure, the French are doing better these days on that front so maybe them! I suspect we will see ALOT of French input into everything, the French are good at protecting their own interests, even if it's pyrric.

Chrysler has always been iffy. To be honest FCA and PSA do not really excel at anything. The only golden goose (out of the volume sellers) amongst that lot are Jeep and RAM, someone commented on another forum about how many parent companies Jeep has managed to outlive, it is quite a long list. I suspect they will outlive this one as well, even if the cars take an even further nosedive in quality.

Stellantis - PSA and FCA - Avant

You're right: I don't covet any of their products. Jeeps I imagine sell well in the USA. The Wrangler, which I believe excels off-road, is too expensive over here to be any good for the people who would actually use it to go off-road.

Stellantis - PSA and FCA - Metropolis.

Jeep is to America is what Land Rover is to the UK. It is the fanclub that keeps them going. Jeep have had reliability issues even before Chrysler took them over, the AMC engines were good though especially the 4.0 inline 6. But at least Jeep has never abandoned its base, which I was about to say is wise but really, it's just common sense unlike what Land Rover have done, not a single Land Rover has solid axles or a separate chassis now. 'It can't be done and comply with safety regs' says Land Rover, well, I think 'We don't want to make cars like that anymore as it doesn't suit our trendy image' is more accurate. Crazy at a time when Jeep Wrangler, Suzuki Jimny, Ford Bronco, Toyota 4runner, all body on frame vehicles selling like hotcakes and magically (according to LR) meeting safety regulations without switching to unibody.

Land Rover HAD some of the most loyal buyers in the market, who would forgive the foibes as character like the vehicle is the family dog (or horse?) that just needs a trip to the vet. Land Rover have ditched them to chase the fashionistas of this world. Sad thing is, when the fashion changes Land Rover will not be able to look to its base to keep it going anymore because they've all bought discounted L200s, Rangers, even Rextons and Prados if they can afford one.

Shame about the wrangler being so expensive here, I was rather hoping Donald would do a deal with us and we could see more American metal on our streets. It is no Defender (the proper one) as it was never really designed as a tow/working vehicle but instead more of an off-road lifestyle vehicle but good at what they set out to do.

I watched a very interesting video on the new Defender by Andrew St.Pierre-White (4XOverland youtube channel). He claims Land Rover had brought in a professional off-road adventurist/overlander to consult on the new vehicle. He had just got back from crossing China overland, and so he told them it needed to be built tough like the old one, so that it can cross harsh terrain over great distances without breakages caused by the terrain, and be easily fixable. Allegedly the response he recieved from one of the young Land Rover reps was "I've been to China, wasn't difficult". The guy had been to Beijing.... !

Edited by Metropolis. on 16/01/2021 at 22:59

Stellantis - PSA and FCA - Engineer Andy

You're right: I don't covet any of their products. Jeeps I imagine sell well in the USA. The Wrangler, which I believe excels off-road, is too expensive over here to be any good for the people who would actually use it to go off-road.

It's apparently also not the safest car out there in a crash, getting only a 1 star NCAP rating. I must admit though having a soft spot for the small Wrangler for its nice looks, rather like the similar styled (but seemingly poor to drive on road) short-lived Suzuki Jimney II.

Stellantis - PSA and FCA - expat

It's apparently also not the safest car out there in a crash, getting only a 1 star NCAP rating.

A lot of the safety star ratings are for electronic safety aids and things like seat belt unfastened buzzers. It would be interesting to know why the Wrangler got the low rating. Perhaps it is for failing crash tests but maybe it is for not having some electronic gizmo. Quite a few people turn off all those gizmos as soon as they get in the car as they find them distracting.