What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Rusties

Does anyone know the best / cheapest way to stop a car from rolling back if the hand break gives way..

My car has been stationary for a couple of years and is a project which I was hoping to get around sorting this year.

The driveway is on a slight incline of around 10 / 15 degrees back to the house.

My concern is the handbreak will give way and the car roll into the front of the house.

Would deflating the tyres slightly make the surface area larger putting less pressure on the handbrake?

I have put a couple bricks behind but not sure if they'll do the job.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - skidpan

Chock the wheels and leave it in gear. Do not leave the handbrake on, it will eventually jam (probably already has) and the car will need work to move it.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Rusties

Thank you, never heard the term chock the wheels but a

quick look on google bought up these from Halfords will thru do the job?

www.halfords.com/tools/garage-workshop/axle-stands...l

Thanks again

Edited by Rusties on 14/01/2021 at 12:54

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - RT

A house brick will chock each wheel.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Falkirk Bairn

Looks like common sense is getting thinner on the ground these days.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - alan1302

Looks like common courtesy is as well.

The words common and sense have been a rare combination for years.

Seeing people out walking in groups, refusing to give way and generally flouting the rules tends to prove this.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - alan1302

The words common and sense have been a rare combination for years.

Seeing people out walking in groups, refusing to give way and generally flouting the rules tends to prove this.

That's not to do with common sense though - they just don't care.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Andrew-T

I would guess setting a handbrake for well over a year is asking for trouble. Much better to leave the car in gear if you have no plans to drive it (or chock the wheels) and leave the handbrake off. Cables may stretch slowly.

I spent several years in Canada and learnt not to use the handbrake when parking in cold weather in case it froze on. Unlikely in this country, but it's a worthwhile habit. The handbrake normally only gets used for hill starts. People who regularly park on a steep hill would be taught to park in gear (reverse if facing forwards) and kerb the wheels - but I wouldn't be surprised to find that is thought old-fashioned ....

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - edlithgow

I find a short section of angle iron (or dexion) makes a reasonably effective wheel chock,, provided the slope isn't very extreme, You can position it as an L, or as an upside down V (I THINK L is more effective, thouigh havn't tested) or nest a V in an L.

In critical applications (as when getting under a jacked up car at worryingly extreme angles) you could put dexion chocks both sides of a wheel and tie or wire them together, though I've never quite felt I needed to.

Bricks can slip, though they usually work well enough. If you give your brick (or bit of 2X4, or steel tube, or just about anything) a wrap of carpet or other strong textile with a "tail" that you roll the wheel onto, that'll stop it slipping. The same trick is used to stop ramps from skooting away from the car as you attempt to drive onto them.

The obvious solution would be a wooden wedge but I've never got around to making some. I THINK I've seen plastic ones in Halfords

I never used the handbrake for parking in the UK, having had it jam on a couple of times. Parking in gear facing a wall did make me rather unpopular when I drove an NHS pool car though.

Thinking about it a bit, I reckon a sandbag would be quite effective as a self-forming wedge with good surface friction, though it would have to be of strong (perhaps synthetic) material..

They stop bullets (which is of course not what you want to do, but still)

Edited by edlithgow on 15/01/2021 at 00:50

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - mickyh7

Parking in the UK all of my life.

I just leave it in REVERSE gear. No need to worry about walls or anything else.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Gibbo_Wirral

Search "wheel chocks" on ebay. Cheap and effective.

Search "wheel chocks" on ebay. Cheap and effective.

See posts 2 & 3. Think the OP should be sorted.

Parking in the UK all of my life.

I just leave it in REVERSE gear. No need to worry about walls or anything else.

I only parked in the UK after I got a car. As an infant I was too poor, and afraid of policemen.

In the NHS pool car situation, leaving it in reverse you.d have to worry about whatever was behind you, In that location often a nurse pedestrian hurrying between wards, so I think my procedure was probably safer.

But I doubt I thought of that. Probably just habit.

Edited by edlithgow on 16/01/2021 at 06:01

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Engineer Andy

Does anyone know the best / cheapest way to stop a car from rolling back if the hand break gives way..

Turn the car the other way around - then it'll roll forwards. Or park it sideways?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sorry - couldn't resist (Friday). :-)

The other Backroomers' suggestions are valid.

A section cut from an old tyre (with something inside it if the tread isn't stiff enough) might work, I might try that later.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Brit_in_Germany

If it has had the handbrake applied for a couple of years, I would expect everything to have corroded together such that only brute force will get the car moving again.

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Ian D
As said above, go to eBay and search for pair wheel chocks with handle and £5.45 inc delivery will see you with a pair of chocks of the correct grippy wedge shape with handles to help pull them out, what else could a man ask for...

Edited by Ian D on 16/01/2021 at 09:20

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - Andrew-T

The OP seems to have gone away, maybe to H@lfords ....

Ford fusion - Stop car rolling back on driveway. - bathtub tom

The OP seems to have gone away, maybe to H@lfords ....

Or a building site.

Yeh he did say best/cheapest. Halfords might be best, but nowt is cheaper than a fiver.

Or maybe he has been crushed by his car rolling back.