What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - autumnboy

What sort of trouble free mileage could be expected from a 2012 Evoque 2.2 diesel and Auto gearbox.

Seen most are in excess of 80/100k miles, would this be an issue........?

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - Avant

Probably not an issue, as they were unreliable even when they were new.

Most of us on here would advise against buying any nine-year-old diesel, let alone one made by Land Rover.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - elekie&a/c doctor

Sadly, trouble free and land Rover don't go together in the same sentence. However ,the diesel powertrain and auto boxes on these early cars are predominately Ford derived. Similar to what you would find in a Mondeo. The rest of the car is unpredictable ,with loads of electrical gremlins. Do you feel lucky?

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - craig-pd130

As others have already said, Evoques had a bad reliability record. To be honest, with ANY 8 or 9 year old car, reliability is a lottery.

Most cars today have a design lifespan of 6 to 7 years, after that then it's down to how careful and fastidious the previous owner(s) were, and luck.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - skidpan

Most cars today have a design lifespan of 6 to 7 years, after that then it's down to how careful and fastidious the previous owner(s) were, and luck.

I find that very hard to believe but like anything if you treat a car badly and neglect it ultimately it will cost you more.

Only yesterday I checked the MOT history of one of our old cars. November 2007 Micra meaning its now over 13 years old. We sold it in June 2015 and during our ownership it was serviced correctly (dealer) but I have no idea how its been looked after since or what issues its had.

Bottom line is the car was MOT'd in November and only failed on a OS front spring, it failed in November 2014 on a broken NS front spring, we never noticed an issue.

The car is twice the age of the above.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - barney100

I like looking at which cars last, it's not unusual to see 20 year old Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens around. These of course are the ones with the bad reputation for lasting. So many older cars around and yes, many very old diesels. I reckon if you were so minded you could make most cars last many many years.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - _

IF you can afford to throw away £9500 (the cheapest trade car available) and that is what you want, do it, but be prepared for big problems somewhere along the line.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - pd

The engine and gearbox are usually OK (unlike the later models with JLR's own engine) and as others have said basically Ford stuff and well proven.

I'd also add I do not buy into the fear some here seem to have of diesels the majority of which are absolutely fine.

But would I buy an Evoque if I was concerned about long term niggles and reliability? Nope. I wouldn't. Not any model year or engine combo.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - Andrew-T

I like looking at which cars last, it's not unusual to see 20 year old Peugeots, Renaults, Citroens around. These of course are the ones with the bad reputation for lasting. So many older cars around and yes, many very old diesels.

The answer to the OP's question will depend on how much reliability seems mission-critical to him/her. With very few exceptions my family has owned Peugeots for over 30 years. As I have aged, so have the cars - we now have a 2008 diesel and a 1994 petrol. The older car passed its MoT recently with the tester remarking that they don't make them like that any more. That is certainly true in many ways, perhaps the most significant being the steady electronicalisation (if such a word exists) of the entire machine. Evoques probably suffer more than most from problems in that area, but it seems buyers still enjoy the cachet.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - Miniman777

Personally, an Evoke of this vintage could be a money pit. JLR repairs are not cheap.

It's also likely to be Euro 5 emissions and that will restrict you from big cities - Birmingham, Leeds, Newcastle & Manchester, Aberdeen, Leeds, Edinburgh, Bath, Bristol etc. See the map of possible cities invoking clear air rules - www.buyacar.co.uk/cars/economical-cars/523/clean-a...s

Considering Euro 6 has been the standard for 5 years, not sure Euro 5 is a good idea.

Knowing I was spending £30-40k on a retirement car, I carefully researched an Evoke (as that's what Mrs Miniman wanted) but found far to many problems for my liking such as broken camshaft issues, B-post rattles, electrical gremlins, DPF and oil dilution issues on post Sept 15 models. I did test drive one in 2018 found the interior rather dated. For a leading UK manufacturer, reliability was poor, and after sales service from dealers was patchy, judging from forums and review sites.

I also test drove an E Pace and F Pace, but again, had serious concerns of reliability both in and out of warranty – and I am an ex-JLR employee and wanted to be patriotic.

In the end I opted for a 3.0d BMW X3 (G01 series) and it has been fantastic, smooth powerful and quiet engine, nice silky 8 speed gearbox. Dont regret the decision at all.

Have a look at the F25 series X3 (2011-17), but research and look on the net for where any faults lie. There’s also the X1, but personally, find the look of the E84 series somewhat dumpy and the F48 series looks better.

Can I also suggest, if the BMW sways you, to look at one from a BMW dealer with the 12-month used warranty. The indemnity limit is the purchase price, and I know it is a highly respected warranty, almost cast iron, unlike what you’d get from a smaller independent dealer with paltry levels of limits, and a warranty company keen to wriggle out of their obligations on a flimsy excuse.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - madf

High Peak Autos did a RR review..on You Tube..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwkmt6kSxYw

One year's running costs in terms of repairs..

Very good.

Not the same model but an idea of what to expect.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - rob kay

my wife bought the 2.2 diesel new in 2014, she's done 55,000mls . . . . sunvisor replaced foc long after warrantee expired. most reliable car we've had in 50 years. will replace with latest model soon.

strange how so many people love to send in negative evoque comments.

robbieboy

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - badbusdriver

my wife bought the 2.2 diesel new in 2014, she's done 55,000mls . . . . sunvisor replaced foc long after warrantee expired. most reliable car we've had in 50 years. will replace with latest model soon.

robbieboy

It isn't specific to the Evoque, it is Land Rover/Range Rover in general. And the comments are based on their cars consistently propping up the bottom of reliability surveys. The fact that yous has been reliable, does not mean anything other than yours has been reliable. To get a general indication of reliability, many cars need to be taken into account. This reveals a rather different picture to your own experience.

Furthermore, that this car, which is only 6 years old and was bought new, is the most reliable car you've had in 50 years suggests either very bad previous choices or very bad luck!. In 2010 I bought a 5 year old Ford Transit Connect (based on Focus/Mondeo) with 60k miles. I ran it for 8 years taking the mileage up to over 130k miles and nothing went wrong on it. I replaced it late 2018 with a 2010 VW Caddy with just under 80k miles, mileage now up to 107k and nothing has gone wrong with it either (including the sun visor, that goes for both!).

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/02/2021 at 15:06

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - barney100

Daughter has a 2016 Land Rover sport and it's been perfectly fine, apart from needing addblue.

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - RT

robbieboy

AFAIK it's the 2.0 diesel that has issues, not the older 2.2

What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - SLO76
Though the PSA engine and torque converter gearbox in there are generally robust Land Rover have an outstanding ability to build unrealisable cars. Electrics are temperamental, trim fragile, rear diffs can fail and the usual diesel related maladies are to be expected past 80,000 miles despite the decent engine and box. It’s all the emissions control gubbins and sensors etc all built down to the lowest price with JLR that cause grief.

Buy a good Honda CRV instead.
What sort of trouble free mileage on Evoque 2.2 - DavidGlos

For what it’s worth, we had a 2007 Freelander 2, which is the same engine as your proposed Evoque 2.2. It had a manual gearbox and given that it was an older engine, it was Euro 4 on the emissions spectrum and didn’t have a DPF. We bought it at two years old with 11,000 miles on the clock and ran it to around 75,000, when it was seven years old.

Only sold it because I changed jobs and got a company car. In that time, we the only costs we incurred were one set of tyres at around 50,000 miles and a headlight bulb. Brake pads and discs were original at point of sale and it was 100% reliable. Would have kept it, were it not for the company car. A look at the MOT checker shows it now on almost 160,000 and nothing major has been required to pass the MOT.

Perhaps we were lucky?! Not sure how well resolved the DPF installation was on the later Euro 5 2.2 PSA engines, as it wasn’t designed with that in mind. Having said that, it’s probably a darn sight more reliable than the first iterations of the Ingenium JLR engine that replaced it!