What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - _

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55526360

Since the HJ site can't be bothered to add new news anytime, here it is

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Metropolis.

Thank you for sharing. As much as I have a soft spot for Chrysler products, namely RAM Trucks (some of which really are gorgeous) and Jeep Wranglers/Grand Cherokees, in the back of my mind I know that Chryslers have always been considered the least reliable of the big 3. Apart from when they use a Cummins engine in their pickup trucks, in which case the engine never dies, you just replace the truck around it. Which is a shame as they can be very innovative at times, like with their rear ac in the big wagons before the fuel crisis hit, or the invention of the minivan with the Dodge Caravan and Grand Caravan. Much like British carmakers, Chrysler seem to have persistent build quality issues and go from crisis to crisis (Chrysis?) and just as they are about to hit the wall they bring a rabbit out of the hat and live on to fight another day. Will any of this change under the merger? I doubt it, there's not a single brand there that I would associate with 'quality control' or 'reliability', which is a shame as it just seems to be a collection of the 'hangers on' of the automotive world. Perhaps they could have called themselves the C team. I am sure they will make some visually attractive models, I wonder which company is going to be 'boss', or is it not really like that?

BBD can rightfully call me a hypocrite...!

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - SLO76
“ Apart from when they use a Cummins engine in their pickup trucks, in which case the engine never dies, you just replace the truck around it.”

I’ve done many thousands of miles with one of these engines pushing me down the road. The ADL E200/E300 buses we often run use the same basic engine as the Dodge Ram diesel. It’s a fairly tough old thing and fair shifts in a 40ft bus in 6.7L 6cyl spec but they’re just not as tough as the Scanias we also use. The smaller 4cyl 4.5L versions we run in the E200 Vision buses are typically done around 400k while the Swedish motor is just run in, though the larger 6cyl versions seem to last better. I suspect much of this is down to the gearboxes, with the 4cyl versions saddled with 3 speed auto that is too low geared for the distance use we often allocate them to.
Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - craig-pd130

If the merger means I can get a RHD version of the Challenger Hellcat, or the Hellcat engine in a Vauxhall, I'm all for it :-D

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - dan86

If the merger means I can get a RHD version of the Challenger Hellcat, or the Hellcat engine in a Vauxhall, I'm all for it :-D

Vauxhall Insignia VRX SRT Helcat Demon I like the sound of that.

Would it also come with the package where you get all the tools and a different set of wheels if you got to drag race it

Infact I like the sound of that so much I may start an online petition to the new parent company to get it in to production.

Edited by dan86 on 05/01/2021 at 14:33

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - badbusdriver

It isn't that long since the VXR8 went out of production. OK, not as much power as the Hellcat, but the supercharged VXR8 was pushing just shy of 600bhp through its rear wheels, surely more than sufficient?.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - craig-pd130

It isn't that long since the VXR8 went out of production. OK, not as much power as the Hellcat, but the supercharged VXR8 was pushing just shy of 600bhp through its rear wheels, surely more than sufficient?.

Oh, it would do, at a push ;-)

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Engineer Andy

Will we get a Ferrari engine in a Vectra? More job losses though, I'd bet. Rare to see a Fiat car in my area, though a good number of Alfas due to their being a Alfa workshop round the corner, plus my neighbour with his (old) Ferrari.

I wonder whose diesel engines they'll use? Will Fiats just become rebadged Pugs, like Vauxhalls are currently going?

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - mcb100
More likely a Maserati engine in an Insignia as Ferrari aren’t part of FCA.
I do believe we won’t see the Stellantis name anywhere other than at the bottom of a headed letter of in the ‘About Us’ section of either PSA or FCA’s website.
So far PSA have done a good job in Peugeot/Citroen/DS & Vauxhall all utilising common running gear but with each brand retaining their own identity.
Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Oli rag
I wonder if the Stellantis name came from the same “ brilliant” minds that ( briefly) turned the post office into Consignia?
Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - badbusdriver
I wonder if the Stellantis name came from the same “ brilliant” minds that ( briefly) turned the post office into Consignia?

Possibly due to my age, but when Vauxhall replaced the Vector with the Insignia, all I could think of was the advert for that range of mens grooming products from the 80's............

"Insignia's got everything,

shampoo to shower gel,

deodorant and after shave,

just one all over smell........"!

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Sofa Spud

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the formation of Stellantis makes the Netherlands a major player in the world motor industry. Stellantis will be the fourth largest car giant in the world and the company is registered and based in the Netherlands with its HQ in Amsterdam.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 05/01/2021 at 19:27

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - RT

As I mentioned in a previous thread, the formation of Stellantis makes the Netherlands a major player in the world motor industry. Stellantis will be the fourth largest car giant in the world and the company is registered and based in the Netherlands with its HQ in Amsterdam.

But not building any vehicles in the Netherlands - locating their HQ there is simply a tax-reduction arrangement.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Sofa Spud

But not building any vehicles in the Netherlands - locating their HQ there is simply a tax-reduction arrangement.

True, but that still makes Stellantis a Dutch company and it owns all the subsidiary brands. As time goes by, Stellantis will probably push the development of common platforms and tailoring of brand identities to minimise competition within the group.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - alan1302

As time goes by, Stellantis will probably push the development of common platforms and tailoring of brand identities to minimise competition within the group.

They have been doing that already for a while

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,Vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Avant

"The group will include 14 brands: Abarth, Alfa Romeo, Chrysler, Citroën, Dodge, DS, Fiat, Jeep, Lancia, Maserati, Opel, Peugeot, Ram and Vauxhall." (Thank you, Google)

It's quite fun to speculate on which brands will survive. Even using the common platforms as they have been, there are still extra costs that could be saved with fewer brands, each with its own USP. Such as;

Fiat - 500 for city chi-chi; some form of Panda as a Dacia rival.

Peugeot / Citroen - I think both have their following in France and will become more distinctive and different, but still sell.

DS - I've never seen the point of this brand.

Alfa and Lancia - one or the other, not both.

Maserati and Abarth - I should think these will depend on whether they can make money.

Jeep and RAM - enough following in the USA I'm sure, but possibly not Chrysler. I don't know about Dodge - do they sell lots of SUVs?

And Vauxhall / Opel - I can't think of any model that can do anything that the equivalent Peugeot can't.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of the industry can come along and correct me if I'm wrong.

True, but that still makes Stellantis a Dutch company and it owns all the subsidiary brands. As time goes by, Stellantis will probably push the development of common platforms and tailoring of brand identities to minimise competition within the group.

I suspect it'll more likely be a retrenchment from overseas markets where other brands of theirs do better, i.e. Fiat in the UK, Chrysler outside of North America. I wonder what they'll do with the others, given there is quite a lot of crossover in terms of the market they sell to for those brands, especially on the Continent.

BTW - have all the brands and GM, other than servicing/maintenance (in which case, who do they get parts from?) gone from Down Under (Holden). I don't think that brand was sold to PSA and GM appear to have pulled outs themselves.

BTW - have all the brands and GM, other than servicing/maintenance (in which case, who do they get parts from?) gone from Down Under (Holden). I don't think that brand was sold to PSA and GM appear to have pulled outs themselves.

Holden wasn't in the GM package that PSA bought - separately, GM have closed Holden in Australia & New Zealand - the Walkinshaw-owned HSV converts Chevrolet Camaro and one of the big GM SUVs to RHD but they're eye-wateringly expensive.

Holden wasn't in the GM package that PSA bought - separately, GM have closed Holden in Australia & New Zealand - the Walkinshaw-owned HSV converts Chevrolet Camaro and one of the big GM SUVs to RHD but they're eye-wateringly expensive.

I could easily see Vauxhall going the same way in the near future - it may depend on Opel - are they part of the PSA group now, still interchangable with Vauxhalls except the badges?

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - _

it may depend on Opel - are they part of the PSA group now, still interchangable with Vauxhalls except the badges?

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vauxhall-PSA-G...r

1st November 2017,

And No, Germany won'tlet the french close plants in germany, but expect Vauxhall to be sacrificed sooner or later.

it may depend on Opel - are they part of the PSA group now, still interchangable with Vauxhalls except the badges?

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/vauxhall-PSA-G...r

1st November 2017,

And No, Germany won'tlet the french close plants in germany, but expect Vauxhall to be sacrificed sooner or later.

The Vauxhall brand won't go away - there would be a cost to rebranding and not all customers would readily switch to Opel - Ellesmere Port factory is put under threat of closure each time a new model contract is awarded, it'll go soon as the French and German governments will support Peugeot and Opel much better than we support Vauxhall.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - expat

Jeep does quite well in Australia. Fiat are on sale but have very low sales. Even the Italians would not buy them. Chrysler was on sale for a while but I have not seen any new ones for years now. Peugeot sells in Australia but has very low volumes. VAG are the only Europeans to do any volume of business in Australia.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - corax

Possibly due to my age, but when Vauxhall replaced the Vector with the Insignia, all I could think of was the advert for that range of mens grooming products from the 80's............

Same here.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucWBoN4Dcs

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - daveyK_UK
Luton is the most profitable commercial factory in the PSA group although that may now change if they take over the Tofas factory in Turkey that makes Fiat commercials.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Avant

Interesting - suggesting perhaps that one day (though I agree not yet) Vauxhall might become a brand purely for commercial vehicles.

Or they could resurrect Bedford. One of my earliest memories in the early 1950s is of Mr Eade, a kindly local haulier, letting me ride in the back of his Bedford lorry.

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - Ethan Edwards

History repeating itself. British Leyland incorporated Austin, Riley, Morris etc

Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - veloceman
Hopefully they will be more than literally rebadged models that look identical ie, Morris Oxford/Austin Cambridge. Rile elf/Wolsley Hornet etc.
Fiat.Jeep,Chrysler,PSA,vauxhall - Anyone want a stella (ntis) - daveyK_UK
Astra plant announcement expected by the end of 2021