What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - malct

I bought a pre reg Renault Clio 1.5 diesel dynamique in march 2017, Honestly apart from a engine fault after buying the car with water getting into the engine that got repaired and given 4 years free service plan for compensation, Its the best car we have bought.

The car is comfortable to drive and cheap to run, We got the nice deeper red with the nice black trim and we paid £11,000 for the car.

After reading all the reports on diesel cars loosing money , I feared the worst for the 2nd hand value, or in my case 3rd hand since its pre reg, I have had a offer from we buy any car for £6500 which i thought was good for a car that we have now owned for 3 years 9 months, The car is getting 58MPG with Free road tax plus free service. The only thing we pay for is diesel and insurance plus a MOT.

I was suprised how many manufacturers have now stopped producing diesel cars including renault and i have worked it out that its going to cost me a lot more money to run if i was to change cars, even if i bought another pre reg car,

Ok, My last free full service is coming up and renault have offered me a 3 year service contract for £450 which i dont think i will be taking and i will use a local garage thats cheaper.

The clio is only doing 6000 miles a year and the debate was 4 years ago, Is it worthwhile buying a diesel car if your not doing the miles, I am saying , Its the best decision that i have made , Zero car tax and more miles to the gallon, OK Unleaded is cheaper, But i am getting more miles to the pound.

Regards the value of the car , I expected maybe £4000 from Webuyanycar so suprised how much they have offered and i got it checked over and did not reduce the price, So i am not sure how the value of the car will drop over the next few years or will the car still hold up its value since its zero tax and you cannot buy clio diesels no more. (when i say hold its value, I mean i expect it to drop each year, but by how much)

I guess the next car will be electric, But the price would need to come down by quite a bit and battery life would need to improve, plus charging areas need to improve, at the moment, there is no value in buying electric cars, But i can imagine the gov offering incentives to change to electric in the coming years.

Anyways , I thought that i would give you my thoughts on our clio .

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - John F

So far the value has dropped by £1200 per annum. For 6000 miles pa that's 20p per mile, considerably more than your excellent mpg expressed as pence per mile. From a financial point of view it makes sense to keep a reliable car. The longer you keep it, the less you will pay per mile to own it. None of our family cars have ever cost more than 6p per mile to own - the most expensive being our now 20yr old Focus Estate at 6.2p.

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - malct

I am hoping to get another 3 years out of the car or more, My last megane was 6 years old when i sold it and i gor just over £2000 for it and it would have cost me 12K

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - Avant

Agreed. Youi wouldn't buy a new diesel to do 6,000 miles a year, but there's every reason to keep the one you've got if it's still reliable and not having any DPF issues.

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - sammy1

I would be happy with depreciation of £1200 per year and would sell it, It is a low mileage diesel and if things do go wrong you are looking at big money. You may not get a good offer in a year or so or even be able to give it away!

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - pd

Demand is always strong for these. They look good, drive well and are generally reliable. They're also cheap to tax and run.

I'd expected demand to remain high. The 1.5 diesel is very well proven and lasts well although you might want to consider a precautionary cambelt change at some point.

Demand for all diesels is strong in all sectors apart from around central London.

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - _

For the price offered for 3 MAIN DEALER services that price is worth it.

And you can be sure the proper spec oil is used.

Enjoythe car !

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - ifekas

Yes indeed, and you didn't mention how much fun the Clio Dci is to drive! I had a rental Clio Dci about a year ago and the power from the little 1.5 engine was very impressive compared to the turbo petrols in smallish cars. Keep it for as long as you enjoy it and it's reliable!

I agree that there is no value in buying electric cars at the moment, unless one is leasing or on PCP. It's a shame as one would suit my driving pattens perfectly.

Renault Clio 2017 - Best car ever, Why change - veloceman
Ex wife bought a new Seat Ibiza in 2013 for £9k.
WBAC have offered £4K for it but as they are retailing for well over £5k so hope to get £4.5k on a private sale. If so depreciation works out at £623 pa. Pretty decent I would say. To be fair car has been trouble free over this time.