What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Mid size auto advice - dazzabeezer

Hi

After a mid size auto. Budget £6k

I do about 400 miles a week.

Thanks

Mid size auto advice - badbusdriver

Hyundai i30/i40 1.7 turbo diesel, or the Kia Ceed 1.7 turbo diesel.

Mid size auto advice - daveyjp

Toyota hybrid

Edited by daveyjp on 16/12/2020 at 12:25

Mid size auto advice - SLO76
Depends on what’s available nearby but the Honda Civic (avoid the I-shift) Toyota Auris, Avensis, Mazda 3/6 (petrol) and Vauxhall Astra (petrol) all use robust automatic gearboxes. I’d avoid anything fitted with an automated manual box like Ford’s Powershift or VAG’s DSG however as they’re a nightmare at this sort of money and most Citroen’s and Peugeot autos will be single clutch automated manuals which are jerky and can be unreliable.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/12/2020 at 11:34

Mid size auto advice - John F
...... and most Citroen’s and Peugeot autos will be single clutch automated manuals which are jerky and can be unreliable.

The very old ones might be but the PSA group's EAT6 Aisin box is probably as reliable as the millions of trouble free ZF 6HP boxes it is derived from. The one in our Peugeot 2008 is excellent and the long legged sixth gear will give good fuel economy for a 20K miles per annum driver, assuming the OP is buying used. It is now superseded by the EAT8 which hasn't been around long enough for a reliability reputation.

Mid size auto advice - RT
...... and most Citroen’s and Peugeot autos will be single clutch automated manuals which are jerky and can be unreliable.

The very old ones might be but the PSA group's EAT6 Aisin box is probably as reliable as the millions of trouble free ZF 6HP boxes it is derived from. The one in our Peugeot 2008 is excellent and the long legged sixth gear will give good fuel economy for a 20K miles per annum driver, assuming the OP is buying used. It is now superseded by the EAT8 which hasn't been around long enough for a reliability reputation.

That's the first I've heard of a relationship between Aisin and ZF - they're both highly respected but fierce competitors.

Thanks for the replies so far.... There isnt much out there. COVID affecting the market I am guessing?

I have found this. Can I have some feedback?

The only thing that concerns me (without viewing yet) is that it has been listed for over 80 days on the site. Am I being a bit foolish for that to be a concern?

2014 Hyundai i30 1.6CRDi Active (110ps) Hatchback 5d Auto - £5,980 - CarGurus

Mid size auto advice - catsdad
I don't see 80 days as a concern in itself. It might mean they are more open to an offer though. Also in three weeks its 2021 and appears to become a year older.
Mid size auto advice - John F

That's the first I've heard of a relationship between Aisin and ZF - they're both highly respected but fierce competitors.

True, but if you look at the Wiki entry 'AWTF-80sc' entry, you will see that it is 'related' to the ZF 6HP box. I suppose it's a bit like saying the Chinese Landwind is derived from the Range Rover. Perhaps we should retire to pedants corner;?

Mid size auto advice - SLO76
“ The very old ones might be”

At £6k or less it’ll be the older single clutch automated manual box unless it’s been to the moon and back. I do agree that later torque converter versions shouldn’t have any transmission issues but from the negative experiences a colleague has had to date with his 6mth old 2008 Peugeot’s electronics are no better than they used to be.

Thanks for the replies so far.... There isnt much out there. COVID affecting the market I am guessing?

I have found this. Can I have some feedback?

The only thing that concerns me (without viewing yet) is that it has been listed for over 80 days on the site. Am I being a bit foolish for that to be a concern?

2014 Hyundai i30 1.6CRDi Active (110ps) Hatchback 5d Auto - £5,980 - CarGurus

We actually had this exact model (and age) in blue. Perfectly decent cars, comfy and reliable with pretty much all the essentials in terms of standard equipment (for a 2014 car). Your usage should minimise the chances of emissions equipment related problems (caused by short journeys). Never going to set the world on fire with 110bhp, but plenty of torque and that smooth t/c auto is a much more reliable bet that a DCT/DSG. Also nothing like the handling balance of a Focus, but given your miles, I'm assuming that wouldn't be a high priority.

I'd be happy to buy one if I was in your position (obv,, since I did recommend it!).

Hi

Thanks for advice so far

I am struggling to find a Civic, Ceed or I30 for the right price as yet.

I have come across this Astra 1.6. Can I have your thoughts? Any good or better waiting for the Civic/ Ceed / I30 to become available?

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202010225321768?e...d

Checking MoT history it’s had numerous tyre problems and TPS issues. I wonder if it’s been harshly driven, it’s got alignment issues or mileage is suspect at 26k? If it’s on 17” wheels tyres are very expensive.

It might still be worth a look but go with your eyes open.

Edited by catsdad on 22/12/2020 at 12:29

Thats very helpful. I was a bit dubious about the particular car. How about the Astra auto in general when compared to the other cars I mention?

The Astra auto is fine so long as you avoid the Fiat sourced diesels (the 1.7 is the one to go for if you want diesel, it is an Isuzu unit and very reliable). The auto box itself is a torque converter auto, so no real problems. The 1.6 petrol engine is also fine, a worthwhile alternative to the equivalent 1.6 petrol auto i30 or Ceed, though the 1.8 Civic trumps them on power.

It is a pity your budget won't stretch to the 1.4t petrol, the auto versions of those start off at about £7.5k though.

Is that the civic you are referring to for 7.5k?

No, the Astra 1.4t auto petrol. Nothing wrong with the 1.6 n/a petrol, but the 1.4t offers much more muscle with little, if any, loss of mpg.

No, the Astra 1.4t auto petrol. Nothing wrong with the 1.6 n/a petrol, but the 1.4t offers much more muscle with little, if any, loss of mpg.

Do you mean something like this? www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012227319551?a...w

Would you say this is a better option than the ceed and i30 diesels?

Thank you very much for your help to date.

Edited by dazzabeezer on 22/12/2020 at 19:11

Do you mean something like this? www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012227319551?a...w

Would you say this is a better option than the ceed and i30 diesels?

Tricky one that, not sure how the prices compare, but a 2017 Ceed (assuming full Kia history) will still have as much as 4 years manufacturers warranty remaining (2 for the i30). Which is tempting!.

Between that Astra and the two Koreans, personally I think I'd go with the Astra.

Great thanks. And is that model that I sent the correct one?

There are various engines options on Astras of this age. The one in your link is the 1.4 chain cam turbo. There is also a rare 1.6 turbo. There are too lower powered, non turbo 1.4 and 1.6s. The latter has a belt driven cam needing replacement every 4 years.

Although HJ liked the 1.4 turbo initially I think there were some reliability issues in early cars. Electric parking brakes came and went due to issues. I think later cars were better and overall engines seem to be well regarded with the 1.4 turbo being the sweet spot if you like to press on. The 1.6 non turbo is slower but a well proven older engine.

Finally with any car, familiarise yourself with the service regime. Some Vauxhalls have annual/20k mile service intervals. Some will therefore have done high miles with limited service intervals if an owner just goes by the miles and ignores the annual element.

Having said all this my preference would be for the 1.8 Civic.

Hi

There doesnt appear to be much choice in my price range, probably due to COVID?

I have found this Ceed. Can I have some thoughts on this car please? I know the car as previously had a Ceed which I lived, although it was diesel. How does this specific sale look to people please?

Thank you

www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetai...6

Edited by dazzabeezer on 07/01/2021 at 23:21

Hi

There doesnt appear to be much choice in my price range, probably due to COVID?

I have found this Ceed. Can I have some thoughts on this car please? I know the car as previously had a Ceed which I lived, although it was diesel. How does this specific sale look to people please?

Thank you

www.cargurus.co.uk/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetai...6

Without seeing it in the flesh, can't say for sure, but it looks fine. The 1.6 petrol is a simple and reliable unit, the gearbox is a t/c auto, so shouldn't be anything to worry about.

Just be aware of the fact that there isn't much torque going on there.

Mid size auto advice - movilogo

I have exact same Ceed 3 DCT 2014 model for last 5 years. Good so far. Flickering DRL was replaced under warranty (common issue for 2013-14 Ceed).

It is a DCT auto not TC.

It is a DCT auto not TC.

Are you absolutely sure about that?, I know the ad posted says DCT, but all the info I can find says the DCT replaced the T/C late 2015.

The Honest John website no longer has a model history section for cars (not sure why?), but on the specs page, the DCT doesn't appear till after Oct '15

Mid size auto advice - movilogo

I had 1st gen Kia Ceed auto which was TC. Petrol Ceed changed to DCT from 2nd gen.

Diesel Ceed continued to offer TC for bit longer.

My car is 2014 Petrol Ceed and it is DCT. I won't say it is bad. Overall driving experience is better than previous generation TC Ceed. The pedal shifters are fun though 90% of the time I never use them.

Mid size auto advice - blindspot

nissan note 1.6 auto . good value secondhand.