What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All - EVs Polluting - sammy1

I am reading today on the DM online that major manufacturers have released figures suggesting that the manufacture of their EVs is releasing some 63% MORE CO2 than their ice cars. They are suggesting that your EV would need to go some 50000miles to offset the CO2. Their comments are in response to the UK and their 2030 edit. You really have to wonder what is "driving" this rush to be " clean" The raw materials and how they are mined is another questionable area.

All - EVs Polluting - alan1302

I am reading today on the DM online that major manufacturers have released figures suggesting that the manufacture of their EVs is releasing some 63% MORE CO2 than their ice cars. They are suggesting that your EV would need to go some 50000miles to offset the CO2. Their comments are in response to the UK and their 2030 edit. You really have to wonder what is "driving" this rush to be " clean" The raw materials and how they are mined is another questionable area.

Did you think EV production would have zero c02 emitted?

Is the data from the manufacturers? Or elsewhere>

If you don't know what the rush to be 'clean' is by now then I don't think you will.

All - EVs Polluting - mcb100

It depends on how you produce your electricity. I did post Polestar's figures on here fairly recently, there were examples from different power producing regimes.

Edited by mcb100 on 27/11/2020 at 14:18

All - EVs Polluting - Andrew-T

It depends on how you produce your electricity. I did post Polestar's figures on here fairly recently, there were examples from different power producing regimes.

No, that's not the issue, it's the energy used in producing the thumping great batteries which has been calculated.

Found it - www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/analysis-poles...s
Yes, the CO2 emissions for battery production are massively greater than an equivalent ICE car, but from day one of use the EV is pulling back that deficit, the distance taken determined by the manner in which the electricity is produced.
the CO2 emissions for battery production are massively greater than an equivalent ICE car, but from day one of use the EV is pulling back that deficit, the distance taken determined by the manner in which the electricity is produced.

If the break-even point is about 50K, I wonder how many EVs will actually be used intensively enough to get that far? I'm sure the cars would last that long, but are the buyers the kind of people that clock up high mileages?

That opens up a whole different conversation, simply because the motorway automotive demographic today is very different to where it was in the first couple of months of this year.
The fleets of German company cars just aren’t on the road in this Covid world as field based staff are either finding new ways of operating without leaving home or they’re just not operating at all due to furlough or redundancy. They are the people that would have been the high mileage EV operators.
Two colleagues of mine had Audi e-trons on order, pre-pandemic, to replace diesels. Both orders have been cancelled.
We are going to have to see what the commercial landscape looks like before we see whether those motorway warriors (I’m one of them) return to the roads in the same numbers as previously.
All - EVs Polluting - Bromptonaut

Where is the actual report?

I'm naturally sceptical of anything in the DM, more so where it doesn't name the institution that published the report.

Have a read of this anyone that thinks EV will pollute more:

No, Electric Cars Don't Pollute More (skeptoid.com)

All - EVs Polluting - Avant

Provided that the figures are correct, this is quite reassuring,

"If the break-even point is about 50K, I wonder how many EVs will actually be used intensively enough to get that far?"

Even if the first owner doesn't get to 50,000 miles, subsequent owners probably will- so there should be a gain in terms of the original battery.

The issue then becomes how long batteries last before losing too much efficiency, and to what extent can they be recycled or even reconditioned? The answers will become apparent only as time goes on.

Even if the first owner doesn't get to 50,000 miles, subsequent owners probably will- so there should be a gain in terms of the original battery.

The issue then becomes how long batteries last before losing too much efficiency, and to what extent can they be recycled or even reconditioned? The answers will become apparent only as time goes on.

I can now imagine a silly kind of logic which says We must get this car up to 50K miles so it can be in carbon credit - while any miles done in any kind of vehicle can't help much.

All - EVs Polluting - Ethan Edwards

The American article refers to a comparison with a Ford F150 pick up. Not a common vehicle in the UK. How does the emissions for a F150 compare to a typical European car say a 1litre Focus? Well it seems its 488grammes per thingy compared to the Focus 118 grammes per thingy. Alan have you read any of the links from your article? It say the BEV co2 per mile is about 300co2 grammes per thingy. Which means the Focus is one third the polluter that the BEV is. Can I suggest if you want to prove your case you find a better article.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 28/11/2020 at 16:59

The American article refers to a comparison with a Ford F150 pick up. Not a common vehicle in the UK. How does the emissions for a F150 compare to a typical European car say a 1litre Focus? Well it seems its 488grammes per thingy compared to the Focus 118 grammes per thingy. Alan have you read any of the links from your article? It say the BEV co2 per mile is about 300co2 grammes per thingy. Which means the Focus is one third the polluter that the BEV is. Can I suggest if you want to prove your case you find a better article.

Why are you comparing a large pickup truck to a Ford Focus?

You would need to compare 2 similar sized vehicles.

You have rather missed the point. YOUR article compares the F150 with a BEV. My point was that it was a daft comparison. Your article has links. It says that the BEV has a theoretical co2 of 300 units. The F150 488 units . MY POINT was that it was a daft comparison. Since your article is American it was your article that brought a F150 into the mix. Not I. The F150 might be a typical us vehicle but its hardly a typical UK vehicle. I suggested a typical European vehicle ie a one litre Focus would be a fairer comparison. That has emissions of 118 units. Thus making your point about BEV wrong by some considerable margin. I then suggested you might like to find a better article should you wish to labour your assertion.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 29/11/2020 at 02:45

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 28/11/2020 at 16:47

Where is the actual report?

Well colour me surprised:

www.theguardian.com/business/2020/dec/02/aston-mar...y

All - EVs Polluting - barney100

It must be difficult for the manufacturers to make all new cars electric by 2030. I have no idea what other countries are doing with laws on the matter we they have 9 years to sort it out. It seems paradoxical that our ice cars are more efficient and cleaner than ever before yet they are now to be demonised.

Unless the price and range of EVs is reduced and increased in that order then many people won't be able to afford one or go any significant distance without careful planning. I'm sure that development will improve the range and like it or not we will have to adapt.

All - EVs Polluting - Terry W

Statistics quoted without context are pointless.

The report referenced notes that manufacturing EVs is more energy intensive than ICE. Thereafter it depends ENTIRELY on how the electricity to charge the batteries is generated.

It does not include the benefit of a transition to green energy in the production process. The differential between EV and ICE manufacture can only be based on current generating mix.

Nor does it reflect end of life recycling which will generate materials for re-use. Whilst steel and aluminium are easily reprocessed, the recovery of materials from battery packs may materially impact overall conclusions.

Finally there seems to be a belief that EVs will not replace those whose vehicles are required for high mileages. This may be completely flawed as it is with high mileages that the real benefits of reduced cost (at present) and reduced CO2 become apparent. The populatity of the Prius in the taxi business is clear evidence!

I was told by someone in the industry that in China it’s environmentally better to use efficient ICE because of the predominantly coal fired production of electricity.
All - EVs Polluting - Sofa Spud
I was told by someone in the industry that in China it’s environmentally better to use efficient ICE because of the predominantly coal fired production of electricity.

But in Britain we hardly use any coal to produce electricity. One third of our electricity annually now comes from renewables like wind and solar and that's set to increase in the future.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 28/11/2020 at 15:37

All - EVs Polluting - sammy1

It must be difficult for the manufacturers to make all new cars electric by 2030. I have no idea what other countries are doing with laws on the matter we they have 9 years to sort it out. It seems paradoxical that our ice cars are more efficient and cleaner than ever before yet they are now to be demonised.

It will be interesting to see what our EU friends and far east countries think of the UKs 2030 since they make the vast majority of cars purchased in the UK. Are there enough resources to keep making the batteries for a world market and for how long?

It is an incontestable reality that fossil fuels are limited.

They will not run out suddenly like switching off a tap. The only question is when reduced supply and growing demand increase the cost beyond that which is economically viable.

The only issue is the point that the inevitable is explicitly recognised and action taken. The far sighted will plan for that future and may start the transition early, the denialists and ICE adherents will wait until the inevitable has already started to happen!

All - EVs Polluting - badbusdriver

The whole life carbon footprint of ICE vs EV cars is not something I have looked into myself. But I remember reading an article re the VW ID not too long ago where the head honcho at VW said that while in some countries, due to how they produce electricity, EV's don't make so much sense, but the UK isn't one of them. According to him, an EV, for most folk in the UK, is already a greener option.

Also, just yesterday, I watched a review by Robert Llewellyn on the Mazda MX30. During it he was talking about these whole life figures and remarking on the fact that the figures for ICE cars don't include actually getting the oil out of the ground, refining it, and transporting it. If this is the case, that seems a bit unfair?.

All - EVs Polluting - Engineer Andy

The problem generally is that no one ownership experience, whether in the same town, nation or country can be compared - the amount of Co2 equivalent varies so much because the weather or tiem of day varies, or the contract used by the person or external charging provider varies, meaning the amount generated by 'green' means varies all the time.

The same goes with the components - two otherwise identical cars may have some components sourced from different countries/suppliers, etc etc.

Besides, 'whole life cost' also varies because of the usage pattern and area lived of the owner. 'Green' electricity can only be generated to reasonable levels with a particular window of wind speeds and daylight, thus all those people charging overnight will either be using power generation methods that aren't green, or have to rely on very large home battery systems, where much of the components are rare, need mining (and which are not done so in an environmentally-friendly way, never mind treatment of workers doing so) and a significant amount of processing and manufacturing, and are very hard (enegery and labour intensive) to recycle.

Oil-based fuels, whilst they use a great deal of energy to extract and refine, can be done on a much larger scale per unit of energy produced. To me, unless and until wholesale changes to battery technology (including huge improvements in energy density and longevity, as well as recycling capability) occur, I cannot see how EVs can reasonably take over from ICE cars, let alone HGVs and other vehicles that use oil-based fuels and pollute greatly at the 'tailpipe' such as aircraft and ships.

I'd also ove to know how long actual EVs last, given commercially they've only been around for about 10-20 years. 'Accelerated lifescycle' testing cannot be as accurate as real world testing.

Industry 'experts' keep saying that most modern (post 2000) designed cars are effectively designed to 'last' (economically) 7 years on average, yet many of our cars, mine included, are still going strong and not breaking the bank well beyond that (mine's now 15 years old).

Sadly, I think much of the debate these days is based around biased data to make one side or the other look good for PR reasons or to convince governments and the public to stump up huge amounts of our cash to subsidise 'green' tech, but mostly goes to lining the pockets of those behind these firms, with little benfet to the average person, and especially not to those at the bottom of the pile.

Besides, 'whole life cost' also varies because of the usage pattern and area lived of the owner. 'Green' electricity can only be generated to reasonable levels with a particular window of wind speeds and daylight, thus all those people charging overnight will either be using power generation methods that aren't green, or have to rely on very large home battery systems, where much of the components are rare, need mining (and which are not done so in an environmentally-friendly way, never mind treatment of workers doing so) and a significant amount of processing and manufacturing, and are very hard (enegery and labour intensive) to recycle.

It often gets forgotten but you have to remember nuclear electric generation as well.

All - EVs Polluting - catsdad
i think that in years to come personal ownership of cars will become rarer. Some form of Uber/car pooling/ self-driving car will win out. After all most current personal cars sit idle most of the day. Fag packet calculations suggest that the average 10k miles a year driver only uses their car for an average of around an hour a day.

Once you go for some form of aggregated system rather than personal ownership the number of cars required reduces considerably and the break even pollution point is reached much more quickly. Cars will run to high mileages in a short time.

Whether these changes will take effect quckly enough for 2030 I doubt. But if the cost of personal ownership is taxed highly and the centralised alternative made cheap enough then the speed of adoption might surprise us all.

I am not advocating this centralised approach but I think it's inevitable albeit not without its problems.
I think that in years to come personal ownership of cars will become rarer. Some form of Uber/car pooling/ self-driving car will win out. After all most current personal cars sit idle most of the day.

That's a nice idea in theory, like many others, but it sounds as if it may have the same difficulty as Boris bikes, which tend to accumulate in certain places at certain times. I guess autonomous vehicles could take themselves empty to the nearest caller, but we aren't quite there yet.

Besides, 'whole life cost' also varies because of the usage pattern and area lived of the owner. 'Green' electricity can only be generated to reasonable levels with a particular window of wind speeds and daylight, thus all those people charging overnight will either be using power generation methods that aren't green, or have to rely on very large home battery systems.

The wind blows at night too Andy. In fact I'd guess vehicle charging would be ab excellent way to soak up the power thus generated.

I'd also ove to know how long actual EVs last, given commercially they've only been around for about 10-20 years. 'Accelerated lifescycle' testing cannot be as accurate as real world testing.

OK, the batteries MAY be a weak spot but the motors are pretty simple. Traction motors on the railway last so long that they were re-used from one generation of traction to the next - BR Class 442 for example.

<< Traction motors on the railway last so long that they were re-used from one generation of traction to the next - BR Class 442 for example. >>

You are probably much better informed than I am, Bromp, but I know that whole power bogies are swapped out overnight routinely, so I would guess that traction motor bearings might get replaced during refurbishment of those. Less likely in a private car - rather like a simplified engine rebuild ?

The only material difference between an EV and ICE car is the powertrain - all other components are substantially identical.

Motors in industrial settings are typically very long lived - I would expect EVs to be far more reliable that the typical ICE with countless bearings and cogs in engine, gearbox and differentials. It may be that electrical control components in an ICE are better proven than those currently used in EVs - but only time and evidence will show.

Batteries have not been proven to deteriorate materially over time - manufacturers would not offer their extended warranties if they did. Bear in mind that the typical ICE at 100k and 10 years will also have lost some of its original power.

Personal vehicle ownership will decline to be replaced with rent by the hour, day or week. This is already starting in large cities where insuance and parking issues are a barrier to ownership anyway, and public transport provision better.

Comparison with the treatment meted out to Boris bikes etc is probably unjustified - cars will only be accessed by authorised users, and the controls applied to £30k cars will unquestionably be far stronger than for £1k bikes.