What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - jivemonkey

Appreciate there is a difference, driven both, like the idea of a Mercedes but wondering if anyone has any experience of what the ongoing maintenance repair costs are like compared to a Volkswagen Passat because I'm expecting to run this up to a probably around 150000 miles and 10 years old and want to get some idea of what the running cost and repairs are likely to be in comparison

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - _

Are you buying new or used, if so, How much will you spend, petrol or diesel, manual or auto?

Unless you have a good indie for either, repair costs will be daft on both.

Go to the appropriate forum for owners reviews and comments about problems.

If you want a saloon that size, Kia hyundai? optima or i40?

Mazda 6 but not the diesel...

Others may have other suggestions...

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - sammy1

Everything Merc liable to be more expensive that VW or anything else. There is no real comparison, down to individual choice as always

used.. probably about 3 years old.. diesel passat.. not sure on e class.. estate for both so e class prob auto... mechanic friend said e class cost me to fix but tends to not go wrong as mucb

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - elekie&a/c doctor
Just out of warranty, that’s when things can go expensively wrong . Buying something this new needs some makers back up .
volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - barney100

Having owned several Mercedes over the years I know why the maintenance costs put people off. The main dealers are wallet smashers but if you find a good indie Mercedes...at least the ones I've had... have been not too bad for costs. Last SLK 250 cost £90 for it's last year with me. Only sold it as we needed a 4 seater and ended up with an E class 220 2016. An example of indie v main dealers was my old CLK's cabriolet roof....dealers told me that the bill would be £1200, the indie did it for £100...it was just a faulty sensor which was difficult to get at hence the £100.

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - Avant

You'd get a newer Skoda Superb (hatch or estate) for the same money, and it should be a lot cheaper to run than a Mercedes.

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - John F

Between 1984 and 2004, our high mileage family period, we had two used top of the range Passat Estates, GL5 and 2.0GL, which gave us a grand total of 416,500 miles, serviced only by me. During this time I knew several friends and acquaintances who chose Mercedes in the misplaced belief that their considerably greater 'investment' would confer greater reliability and smaller depreciation - and possibly more social kudos. With the exception of the latter, how wrong they were.

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - cws

John F is consistently anti-MB based on a handful of anecdotes. Here's mine: during my first 12years of car-ownership I ran 3 cars from VAG whilst my dad had 3 E-Class's of varying models. In that time I had 2 stuffed turbo's, a broken final drive on the gearbox, split hoses on the turbo system, a leaking brake servo, various electrical niggles and one big electronic issue the airbag control module due to VAG inability to properly seal their cars from water ingress. The more reliable VAG car was my Passat 2003 estate but a crash wrote it off as VW OE parts were stupidly expensive. I also had rust issues on my A3 3 times which were a battle to get fixed even though the car had full Audi history - granted my dad's 2002 E Class also had rust issues but MB fixed that under goodwill even without full MB history. So after the Passat I made the logical step to an MB C Class and am now on my 3rd.

Mercedes can be expensive to own/maintain but that's often IME down to lazy servicing and cutting costs by owners. With a service plan and a recent 20% discount from MB my C43 AMG is as cheap/cheaper than Audi servicing. The key thing is look around for an MB with full history either from an MB dealer or a good MB independent. If you're looking at an E Class around 3years old then it would be the first of the W213 model (which has had a recent facelift). The latest diesel engines (OM654) are proving reliable, as are the 9 speed auto-gearboxes. The only thing the head-tech at the local MB (also a close-friend) tells me is that MB history is essential as there's been quite a few software updates due to the various tech now packed in to the cars.

that great thanks.. its a mechanic friend who said to me e class pretty reliable and well built and not much between it and a passat as passat can have more issues outweighing lower prices.. he also said that via an indie the parts difference is not that much

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - John F

John F is consistently anti-MB based on a handful of anecdotes.

Not particularly 'anti', just not 'pro'. There is much to be admired about their engineering. However, I never found their old-fashioned cars to be attractive. Surviving siblings of my 1998 Audi A6 still look quite modern in stark comparison with the square three-box E280 contemporary. And they are likely to be a lot less rusty. I was gratified to see that the new W213 E class is almost identical in size, shape and style to my fifteen year old A8.

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - bazomis
Have been an E-Class estate owner for the past 8.5 years (and for a couple of months in the mid-1990s - least said the better). Service and repair costs ridiculous. Known faults with water temperature (after 5 years) and suspension (100k miles) denied. Avoid dealerships (especially Inchcape). Now there is a French engine in the latest model, things can only get worse.

Horleyox
volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - cws

The French engine is a 1.6 petrol - who in right mind is going to buy one of these > super-poverty spec just to get the badge. The majority are E220d with the latest diesel EU6 engine. Water temp/thermostat issue was only an issue on the last model E Class with the previous diesel engine-sounds like the dealer you used consistently pulled your pants down as being a known fault, MB were offering goodwill! This is key - find a good dealer as ever, as it's the dealer who applies and pushes on goodwill (or don't bother as was seemingly your case).

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - bazomis

The French engine is a 1.6 petrol - who in right mind is going to buy one of these > super-poverty spec just to get the badge. The majority are E220d with the latest diesel EU6 engine. Water temp/thermostat issue was only an issue on the last model E Class with the previous diesel engine-sounds like the dealer you used consistently pulled your pants down as being a known fault, MB were offering goodwill! This is key - find a good dealer as ever, as it's the dealer who applies and pushes on goodwill (or don't bother as was seemingly your case).

Believe me, I did - with Inchcape in Stratford on Avon. Eastern/Western in Edinburgh (who I bought from) and Mercedes Perth (franchise bought by Arnold Clark and by far the worst and most untrustworthy of the bunch). All denied as known problems, despite even showing them Mercedes owner forum (or fora) reviews. Have gone with West Mids-based Andy Gayle for past 5 years, but still think car is outrageously expensive to maintain imo.
volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - barney100

Mate has his own chauffer business, uses a 220 e class. Mega miles with indie servicing , very few problems. All over Europe taxi firms use e class cars, they are hammered yet manage mega mileages. I bought my first Merc after a trip to Rhodes, a ride in an e class with starship mileage and in excellent nick convinced me .

volts wagon or Mercedes - Passat or E Class - MGspannerman

Although I have a trade card for BCA and buy there, for our cars we drive Toyotas usually bought from main dealers with warranty etc. The most recent was acquired in February, this time from an Inchcape dealership Never again will I use Inchcape. Having had our second visit to fix a fault they should have spotted instantly, as did my local dealer, they wriggled and squirmed when I asked some pointed questions about various aspects of the car. I gave up and will never return, and of course tell everybody how awful they are.

Toyota cars - great! Inchcape - anything but!