What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which vehicle quandary - lms76

Hello, first post here.

What vehicle would people suggest suits this profile please.

2 children and a dog

Job is agriculture and recycling with lots of 4x4 work and towing to be completed.

Whatever it is must double up as a work vehicle but also be fine going down to the coast with the children etc. Currently got a vw amorok on lease which does the job fine, but production has now ended so april 21 when the lease ends I cannot get another one. Local VW dealer has told me the VW/Ford tie up replacement will be available in 2022 sometime but no confirmed details yet.

So the question is what vehicle? I am used to the V6 engine in the amarok and no other pickup has this kind of power on the road whilst still being classed as commercial for vat purposes. I have looked and driven Navara, Ranger, L200, hilux etc and don't like any of the them to be honest. Ranger best out of a bad bunch though.

Budget £500-£600/month plus vat on a 2-3 year lease.

Any ideas?

Which vehicle quandary - Cris_on_the_gas

Porsche Macan

Which vehicle quandary - mcb100

If you're depending on it for heavy duty use, it'd be the Hilux for me. Legendary build quality and a dealer network that will look after you.

Which vehicle quandary - Lee Power

All new Toyota Hilux coming next year might be worth a look.

Order books have only recently opened.

Which vehicle quandary - lms76

Problem is the Toyota engine is woeful compared to a V6. By having the V6 in the amarok it makes it a true all rounder.

Which vehicle quandary - mcb100

I suspect you're looking for a vehicle that doesn't exist because of emissions requirements. It's looking like it may have to be a decision between a non-utility vehicle with reasonable performance, or a utility vehicle that does what it's designed to do.

Which vehicle quandary - veloceman
Can you not buy the one you have, if not a 2nd hand low mileage should be doable for those figures.
Which vehicle quandary - Heidfirst

Problem is the Toyota engine is woeful compared to a V6. By having the V6 in the amarok it makes it a true all rounder.

Certain (higher) trims now available with a 2.8 (201bhp) rather than the 2.4 (148bhp)

blog.toyota.co.uk/introducing-new-toyota-hilux

Which vehicle quandary - Ian_SW

Does it need to be a pickup, or would a proper off-road capable SUV also work?

As they are less designed 'for work', they will do the family car bit significantly better than any double-cab pickup. As long as it was something like a Land Cruiser or Discovery, it should have a similar towing capacity to the pickups.

The other alternative would be to run two vehicles instead. A base model single cab Hilux or L200 would do the work element just as well if not better (easier to hose mud out if it has rubber flooring rather than carpet!). It looks like its possible to lease one of those for less than £200 per month leaving plenty of budget to run a normal family car as well.

Which vehicle quandary - badbusdriver

£600+VAT is £720, over 36 months that is £25,920. That is an awful lot of money to effectively ‘rent’ a car for 3 years!.

I know this is the modern way, but I can’t help having the sneaking suspicion that there surely must be a better option for the OP...............

Which vehicle quandary - gordonbennet

3.2 Ranger probably the best bet until Toyota get their act together and put a half decent engine in Hilux again, there is talk of a V6 going in Hilux but very doubtful it will be offered here.

If you wanted to wait for the next upgrades of whatever you decide on, you could always buy a stop gap used pick up to see you through the interim period, i never found the 3.0 litre Hilux lacking in oomph if you wanted a suggestion.

Which vehicle quandary - Heidfirst

3.2 Ranger probably the best bet until Toyota get their act together and put a half decent engine in Hilux again, there is talk of a V6 going in Hilux but very doubtful it will be offered here.

Don't think that you can order the 3.2 anymore in the UK & probably for the same reason that Toyota are unlikely to offer a V6 here - economy/emissions & fleet averages.

Which vehicle quandary - SLO76

£600+VAT is £720, over 36 months that is £25,920. That is an awful lot of money to effectively ‘rent’ a car for 3 years!.

I know this is the modern way, but I can’t help having the sneaking suspicion that there surely must be a better option for the OP...............

My logic too, it is to me an insane amount of money to pour into something you won’t own unless the company is funding it in full. Even if it’s paid for through a company vehicle allowance I’d rather buy a good used Toyota Hi Lux, Ford Ranger 3.2 or Mitsubishi L200 diesel auto with low miles and plenty of spec for between £25-£30k on a personal loan and after 3yrs you’ve a vehicle with loads of life left and plenty of equity. Yes the Hi Lux and L200 aren’t hugely fast but they’ve both got the best part of 300lb/ft of torque which is enough to pull a house down. I can’t see any job something like this would be unable to do and with the woolly handling of a typical pickup I wouldn’t want to be racing hot hatches in it anyway. Someone does however need to be leasing them new in order to provide the rest of us with sensible priced used cars however but I’ll wager that with the plates covered over you would be hard pushed to find fault with a Hi Lux with 100,000 miles up when compared to a new one. My decade old Avensis Estate is rust free, utterly reliable and drives without fault yet cost just over £4,000 and not the £25,000 plus of an equivalent new model. Having read the latest Autocar today and looked in amazement at the utterly stupid list prices for the new cars contained within I am now more than ever certain that I’ll never buy new again. A new Hyundai i20 1.0 turbo mild hybrid was listed at £20k plus and the magazine referred to this as being somehow “good value.” I must be losing my mind. Have I turned into that pensioner who thinks a pound is still a lot of money?
Which vehicle quandary - daveyK_UK
Ssangyong musso

www.ssangyonggb.co.uk/new/ssangyong/musso
Which vehicle quandary - galileo

SLO, I am a pensioner who remembers when a pound would buy a gallon of petrol, 20 Players, three pints of bitter and fish and chips twice.

Current prices that would set you back at least £25 (or £30 down South), that's what 60 years inflation has done.

Which vehicle quandary - Oli rag

SLO, I am a pensioner who remembers when a pound would buy a gallon of petrol, 20 Players, three pints of bitter and fish and chips twice.

Current prices that would set you back at least £25 (or £30 down South), that's what 60 years inflation has done.

I suspect you’re well under with the current estimate of the price of that lot. Gallon of petrol £5, 20 ciggies £9, 3 pints £12, 2 Fish & chips. £15 Total £41 but may be higher where you live.

Edited by Oli rag on 30/10/2020 at 19:58

Which vehicle quandary - Andrew-T

<< I must be losing my mind. Have I turned into that pensioner who thinks a pound is still a lot of money? >>

I am a pensioner who, like Galileo, remembers a gallon of petrol costing 4/6½d (IIRC), or about 23p in new money. But I certainly don't think of today's pound as being valuable - there aren't many useful things that cost less than £1 these days. I try to dispose of any smaller coinage whenever convenient, usually when getting milk at the supermarket.

Which vehicle quandary - Falkirk Bairn

Buy/Lease 2 x vehicles

1 x Agricultural purposes - Diesel Pickup

1 x Nice 2nd hand car - lots of luxo barges at reasonable prices -

OR

(clearance Pre-Reg Volvo S90 petrol auto, lots of toys from £23K)