What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Steveieb

This company is spending a fortune on advertising and their delivery vehicles are everywhere but has anyone had any first hand experience of the company ?

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - _

Read all those reviews on trustpilot and google reviews.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Penumbra

I've not bought through Cazoo, but did look into it.

There's a few caveats. If you send the first car back and try another, it will cost you £100 to return the 2nd one. You get to try the car for 7 days but there's 250 mile limit and you pay extra per mile if you go over that. There's a £75 + VAT fee payable if you return the car in what Cazoo deem a dirty condition. You also have to pay the £500 excess if you have to claim under their free drive-away insurance.

I couldn't quite see how you would get problems fixed if the car went wrong under warranty. Lots of good reviews but also some detailing problems getting money back after rejecting the vehicle.

I couldn't bring myself to buy from them in the end

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Andrew-T

I'm unlikely to be in the market for a car, but I couldn't bring myself to buy any car sight unseen. If SLO's tales of condition of used cars are representative, I might guess Cazoo cars are returned quite often, unless there are plenty of unfussy punters around.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - SLO76

I'm unlikely to be in the market for a car, but I couldn't bring myself to buy any car sight unseen. If SLO's tales of condition of used cars are representative, I might guess Cazoo cars are returned quite often, unless there are plenty of unfussy punters around.

I’d say at least 75% of cars, even newer approved used stock has either missing service history and/or poor paint repairs which leads me to walk away. I would also be wary of distance buying. That said, a work colleague has just taken delivery of a 17 plate Astra 1.0 Turbo SRi from said firm and I have been unable to fault its condition, the wee car is perfect and it’s history is complete. This is the only example I’ve seen to date from this firm so it’s hardly conclusive but presentation was far better than the local AC run Vauxhall dealer.
All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Falkirk Bairn

About 20 years ago some firm was selling under 3 year old cars on-line - the cars were gone over thoroughly in a central workshop. Quality refurbishing outside/inside and serviced - I saw a feature on TV at the time.

Probably too early in the market as there were a lot less PCs in peoples homes and it was dial up modem connections.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Senexdriver

I hear and see so many ads for Cazoo in the course of a day, I thought I should check out their offering a few days ago. So this thread is very useful in filling in some of the detail that I didn’t pick up from the Cazoo website. It does sound too good to be true that you can try a car for 7 days and then get your money back if you’re not sold on it. I too will stick to traditional methods of buying.

Think there is also Heycars and another on line dealer offering this kind of service.

Cazoo s advertising costs must be huge but with no premises it must balance out.

Wonder if Hertz are still offering ex rental cars for sale . This it was called Rent2 buy.

This scheme offered 5 days trial and if you returned the car there was a modest rental fee , which seems to me a safer bet!

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - edlithgow

Think there is also Heycars and another on line dealer offering this kind of service.

Cazoo s advertising costs must be huge but with no premises it must balance out.

Wonder if Hertz are still offering ex rental cars for sale . This it was called Rent2 buy.

This scheme offered 5 days trial and if you returned the car there was a modest rental fee , which seems to me a safer bet!

Can't see why. If I'm understanding it correctly, the Cazoo deal as described is (potentially, if you were a bit of a dodgy geezer) free car rental with the option to buy a used car which presumably has some history.

The Rent2 Buy is going to cost you money either way, and you are buying a hire car

.(Hire car, hire car. Why would anyone buy a car?)

If its cheaper, fair enough, but it doesn't sound safer.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXcueH7SlDo

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Miniman777

I’d say at least 75% of cars, even newer approved used stock has either missing service history and/or poor paint repairs which leads me to walk away. I would also be wary of distance buying.

I looked a couple of times at a well-known supermarket which has lots of cars available and noted a number with service histories to question, some 18 months or so old, and would have fallen foul of a manufacturer warranty claim. But these people push their own warranties.

Our last purchases have been from 50+ miles away (Milton Keynes and Bedford), and a fault on my X3 was sorted locally, within 4 days of raising, no quibbles. Wife's new car is 3 months old, not even 1k miles and all going well.

Seems many problems stem buyers wanting specific colours and/or specs (not that I blame them,) and use the internet, often buying from a non-franchised dealer and have to deal long distance with major issues, whereas faults with a car sold via a manufacturers approved used scheme can often be resolved locally - unless it's so serious rejection is the only solution.

I just dont understand why people would spend upwards of £10k on a car with a suspect service history or has had several owners in the first 12-15 months. Nor buying unseen and without a decent test drive of 10-15 miles over different types of road.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Penumbra

or has had several owners in the first 12-15 months.

Many cars on Autotrader seem to come with the caveat <may have had multiple owners and been registered to a business> I guess this is put in because dealers seem to sell ex-fleet vehicles perhaps?

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Andrew-T

<< Many cars on Autotrader seem to come with the caveat <may have had multiple owners and been registered to a business> I guess this is put in because dealers seem to sell ex-fleet vehicles perhaps? >>

Might this have started when DVLA began to show less history on the V5 ? Until quite recently one could ask (and usually get) a complete print of all changes of ownership - not any more except for legal reasons.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - barney100

Had a look for a similar car I bought from a main dealer, E class 220 and Cazoo's offering was £1,500 and 15k on the clock more.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - joegrundy

I don't think this is a service I'd want to use. Putting aside the reservations mentioned above, and any concerns about the financial strength of the company, I find their website interesting for what it doesn't say. (I'm sure that their lawyers will have spent some time on it).

Bear in mind that you can't issue a contract which seeks to reduce the rights of the consumer under the law (in this case the Consumer Contracts Regulations). If you buy the car without visiting their premises ('distance selling') you have the right to cancel the contract for any or no reason at any time between making the contract and 14 days after it has been delivered to you. You then have 14 days to return the car. You can;t be charged for (standard) delivery) but at whose expense the car is returned has to be specified in the contract. There is also a specified time in which the refund must be made. Note that the website says within 5 working days after it has been processed. We've recently seen what that can mean with airline etc. refunds.

But the devil is in the practical detail ...

If you buy the car outright, title passes to you and you tax, insure and register it (V5). All to be undone if you return it.

If you acquire the car on HP/PCP as many/most will do, it gets more complicated. You do the finance contract online before delivery and pay a deposit. Title passes to the finance company. You decide to cancel the contract and return the car.The finance company would have to specify to whom it is to be returned, or if they are going to collect it, and make the refund (after deductions?)

All of this stuff would have to be specified in the contracts, which would mean many happy hours of pre-reading even if you can get hold of the contracts in advance.

Like so many things, it could all be ok if things go well. But if something goes wrong I think you could be in for a world of expensive misery.

With more sightings of their delivery trucks I wonder if anyone on the site has any feedback from real buyers?
And in particular the 14 day return promise ?
All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - mcb100
To my mind the 14 Day promise is a little disingenuous, in that they have a legal requirement to refund a car bought unseen. It’s no different to any other dealer.
All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - sandy56

I bought my used BMW from CAZOO last spring. Painless process. Worked fine for me.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - RickyBoy

Cazoo do have premises, well, at least one:

Tickford Roundabout, London Rd, Newport Pagnell MK16 0RE

Used to be the LandRover dealership before they moved the other side of J14

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - RT

Cazoo do have premises, well, at least one:

Tickford Roundabout, London Rd, Newport Pagnell MK16 0RE

Used to be the LandRover dealership before they moved the other side of J14

They have a showroom in Tamworth as well - the ex-Lancaster Jaguar dealers

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Bromptonaut

Cinch appears to be another in the same mould.

All that glitters is not gold - Cazoo the new way to buy a car - Maxime.

Cazoo Bath St, Ipswich IP2 8SD quite big.