What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - Mellybellydoodahs
My front wheel makes a deep woomp woomp sound when driving between 30-40 mph. Its also only noticeable on certain road surfaces. Mechanic spent whole day today checked bearings, wheels, suspension and couldnt find a fault - said all wheels and underside is mechanically sound. Any ideas on what could be causing this as im at a loss but dont feel safe driving on the motorway till its resolved?
Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - paul 1963

Try putting the offending wheel on to the rear of the car and see if the noise moves with it, my son just had a simular thing, odd noise from the offside front, turned out to be a piece of carp on the the inside of the tyre.

Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - Railroad.

I had one once with a strange noise coming from a wheel. Nothing appeared obvious until I noticed that a wheel weight was loose on the back rim. I took the wheel off and balanced it again and the problem was solved.

Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - John F

Years ago I had a similar noise which sounded like a wheel bearing failing on an Audi A6. It turned out to be a faulty tyre. I think the metal mesh strengthening the sidewall was moving slightly creating a sort of reverberation. New tyres cured it.

Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - Ian D
Yes definitely swap tyres back to front and see if any different, or if you are confident which side it is swap left to right (if the tyres are not directional)

Edited by Ian D on 17/10/2020 at 10:52

Ford Focus Ghia 2006 - Woomp woomp mystery - edlithgow

Years ago I had a similar noise which sounded like a wheel bearing failing on an Audi A6. It turned out to be a faulty tyre. I think the metal mesh strengthening the sidewall was moving slightly creating a sort of reverberation. New tyres cured it.

Don't think tyres have metal mesh strengthening the sidewall , so if you had, that might have been your problem.