What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - Trilogy.

Legendary heritage for you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtdBunnvnq4

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - craig-pd130

Hah, oh dear. I'd be interested to see if the dealer can find the fault, and what it turns out to be.

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - madf

The fault is buying a Defender

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - Engineer Andy

The fault is buying a Defender

I wonder if, instead of the ICE/command system saying or displaying 'Hello' (it does in my old Mazda), it says instead 'Sucker!'

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - daveyjp

Some of the comments gave me a chuckle.

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - Trilogy.

L-R owners are a very forgiving lot.

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - focussed

Some of the Land Rover jokes in the comments section are amusing.

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - nellyjak

Oh what a surprise...Not.!.

How on earth do they keep getting away with it.??

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - Metropolis.
It is a real shame. As a long term Land Rover owner who perhaps got lucky, it is sad to think when my current car is forced off the road I will need to look elsewhere. At least till 2004, excluding the defender which went on longer, you could buy a car with good fundamentals of solid axles, body on frame etc. Now they are just Tupperware pavement princesses which are good off road but not for off road ‘work’. I would consider a Discovery 4 but the PSA engine is just too likely to grenade. Like it or not, Land Rover are our national flag carrier car wise, being the last remaining (sort of) mainstream brand, despite being under foreign ownership. If cars reflect the national psyche, this is embarrassing.
New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - badbusdriver

Couldn’t help noticing how petite the Defender (4.76m long, 2m wide, more or less 2m tall) looked in comparison to the Suburban behind it in the garage.

I guess to the Yanks, a Defender would probably qualify as a ‘compact’ SUV!

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - MVP

I knew someone who picked one up brand new in the morning to drive to Italy, broke down on the M20....

Turbo pipe or something dropped off

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - _

I knew someone who picked one up brand new in the morning to drive to Italy, broke down on the M20....

Turbo pipe or something dropped off

Makes me smile, We sold a new Discovery back in 1990 for someone off to France.

Fuel pump relay failed

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - Ethan Edwards

It lasted 160 miles? Wow you got one of the good ones.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 12/10/2020 at 15:17

New L-R Defender - check engine light at 160 miles - gordonbennet

MiL is hardly the end of the world, its not like the engine seized or the gearbox dropped off.

No, i wouldn't be buying one in preference to a Landcruiser or Hilux because i trust the electrics on the Japanese marque to be far better tested for durability than on the LR.