What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Grease_monkey

I find it very odd that Suzuki have dropped the 1 litre Boosterjet engine that has only been in production a few years (possible less than 5 years) As a owner of a 1.0litre Boosterjet Swift, should I be worried.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Falkirk Bairn

Suzuki are aiming for all their cars to be at least mild hybrid.

The 1 litre boosterjet gets good press - no real issues apparently so nothing to worry about.

All the new hybrids from every makers seemingly, mild hybrids are appearing everywhere & I am sure there will be issues with many - bolt on additions can be prone to bringing in new issues that did not happen before.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - misar

Suzuki are aiming for all their cars to be at least mild hybrid.

The 1 litre boosterjet gets good press - no real issues apparently so nothing to worry about.

All the new hybrids from every makers seemingly, mild hybrids are appearing everywhere & I am sure there will be issues with many - bolt on additions can be prone to bringing in new issues that did not happen before.

Not a helpful comment if you were trying to reassure the OP. I think his car is a mild hybrid.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - craig-pd130

There are no mentions of Boosterjet engine problems at all in the HJ car-by-car guide: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/suzuki/swift-2017/go...d

It's probably a commercial decision by Suzuki.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Ethan Edwards

Its part of their transition to all electric vehicles. I too have a one litre Swift. Its superb. But the garage phoned as a result of being discontinued they are now becoming a bit desirable. They have a waiting buyer. So they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. My advice to the OP is to keep it its a great car.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - daveyK_UK
Suzuki , Ford and no doubt others are putting ‘add on’ token hybrid systems in their cars to play the emissions game.

It helps with the PCP deals they can offer as the hybrids have better retention values.
Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - badbusdriver

Whatever has caused the Boosterjet to be withdrawn, I see no reason why the OP should be worried. It’s not like Suzuki are going to come and take the car back, or that they will suddenly become banned from city centres!.

It will only potentially become ‘an issue’ when he wants to replace his car, and then only if he wants another but can’t get.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Ron Newbold

I also have a Suzuki Swift 1ltr 3cyl Turbo Hybrid.

I find it fantastic.

Suzuki replaced it with a NON TURBO 1.2ltr 4 cyl Hybrid.

It's a step backwards.

The 1.2 is NOT as economical as the 1ltr 3 cyl Turbo Hybrid & the 0-62 performance of the non turbo 1.2ltr 4 cyl engine is pathetic compared to the 1ltr 3cyl turbo engine.

Suzuki must be MAD.

There's no way I'll trade in my 3 cyl 1ltr Turbo Hybrid Swift for a slower & thirstier Swift replacement.

I read somewhere that Suzuki stopped manufacture of the 3 cyl 1ltr Turbo because of new EU emission regulations.

I'm not interested in the EU & there's no way I'm going swap for a Swift with a more thirsty engine

I also have a Suzuki Swift 1ltr 3cyl Turbo Hybrid.

I find it fantastic.

Glad you like it, it does seem to be a cracking little engine, especially in the flyweight Swift. But just to be clear, it is a mild hybrid.

Suzuki replaced it with a NON TURBO 1.2ltr 4 cyl Hybrid.

No they didn't, they just dropped the 1.0 Boosterjet, the 1.2 Dualjet was already in the range (It is a pity, but there is a very good reason for it)

It's a step backwards.

It's only a step backwards if you want more power and performance than the 1.2 Dualjet provides, for the majority of buyers, it won't be an issue.

The 1.2 is NOT as economical as the 1ltr 3 cyl Turbo Hybrid

I have not looked into economy figures for the Swift, but I do know that when Whatcar tested the Ignis (1.2) mild hybrid in late 2019 (same engine), they found it the most efficient (excluding PHEV's and EV's) car they had ever tested over their own 'True MPG' cycle. The Swift is not much heavier, so I think it unlikely the economy suffers any more than a negligible amount.

the 0-62 performance of the non turbo 1.2ltr 4 cyl engine is pathetic compared to the 1ltr 3cyl turbo engine.

0-62 times are utterly irrelevant in the real world. How often do you accelerate from a standstill to 62+mph as fast as you can?, exactly!. Much more relevant is the in gear and through the gears acceleration. We have an Ignis with the non mild hybrid version of the 1.2, and the performance in this respect is absolutely fine as long as you are in the right gear.

Suzuki must be MAD.

They are not mad, they just don't want to pay massive (millions of Euros) fines for the 1.0 Boosterjet not meeting its emissions targets........

I read somewhere that Suzuki stopped manufacture of the 3 cyl 1ltr Turbo because of new EU emission regulations.

......as you already appear to know?

There's no way I'll trade in my 3 cyl 1ltr Turbo Hybrid Swift for a slower & thirstier Swift replacement.

I'm not interested in the EU & there's no way I'm going swap for a Swift with a more thirsty engine

Thats fine, you don't have to!

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Ron Newbold

Every other car manufacturer is abandoning their smaller capacity 4 cylinder non turbo engines for more efficient modern 3 cyl Turbo units.

All - except Suzuki.

Every engineer knows that 3 cyl units in the smaller capacities are smaller, lighter, have less parts, have less friction & (off course) are cheaper to build & easier on the environment with less raw material required in their manufacture.

Just bolt a turbo on a 3 cyl 1 litre engine & it will out perform most 4 cyl 1.4 litre engines on the market.

Even Audi are convinced with the super 3 cyl Turbo 1 litre in the A3.

But Suzuki had other ideas - they dumped their magnificent 3cyl 1 litre turbo unit for a 4 cyl heavier lager capacity unit that harks back to the last century. Barmy!!! ??

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Metropolis.
Suzuki petrol engines have an excellent reputation, dont worry
Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - bathtub tom
Suzuki petrol engines have an excellent reputation, dont worry

It's just their gearboxes!

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Metropolis.
Can you elaborate please? I know the old autos were robust Aisin units.

Here you go, why do you think there are so many people repairing them?

www.google.com/search?q=suzuki+gearbox+problems&am...z

Here you go, why do you think there are so many people repairing them?

www.google.com/search?q=suzuki+gearbox+problems&am...z

Posting a link from a gearbox repair company like this is hardly conclusive proof that there are problems with Suzuki auto gearboxes!.

I'll happily admit that I don't like the AGS box on our Ignis, but it isn't unreliable.

It's not a link to a gearbox repair company, it's a link to a google search suggesting there's lots of problems with Suzuki gearboxes. I believe either SLO or Elecie have stopped recommending Suzuki because of their experiences

First, I'm not aware of SLO ever mentioning problems with Suzuki gearboxes (though I am aware of him mentioning plenty of others). Second, manufacturers don't generally make their own gearboxes (as was mentioned before), so any supposed problems with Suzuki ones, are going to cause problems on all the other makes also using the same box, and there are plenty. Third, I read (compulsively) all the owners reviews available for any car I may have a passing interest in (which includes several Suzuki models), and I have never come to the conclusion that there is an underlying reliablity problem with any Suzuki gearbox. Given that people are generally more inclined to voice their opinion when something goes wrong than when faced with faultless reliability, it seems inconcievable to me that there are fundamental reliability problems with Suzuki gearboxes without owners experiences backing this up. Fourth, if you type any combination of vehicle manufacturer, vehicle part, and the word 'problems' into Google, you will inevitably come away with the impression that said part is unreliable.

First, I'm not aware of SLO ever mentioning problems with Suzuki gearboxes

Here you go, " I sourced a last of the previous gen 2011 11 plate example with 59,000 miles for £880 less than a year ago. Turned out it wasn’t a good car"

From SLO at 15:06 today on the motoring discussion forum. I can't find the original thread where he mentions Suzuki gearbox problems. I used to consider them as a second car, but wouldn't now.

First, I'm not aware of SLO ever mentioning problems with Suzuki gearboxes

Here you go, " I sourced a last of the previous gen 2011 11 plate example with 59,000 miles for £880 less than a year ago. Turned out it wasn’t a good car"

From SLO at 15:06 today on the motoring discussion forum. I can't find the original thread where he mentions Suzuki gearbox problems. I used to consider them as a second car, but wouldn't now.

And yet in the same thread he links an advert to that very same car as a suggestion for the OP to buy, which is telling isn't it?.

But even if he hadn't, that is still just one car.

Yesterday afternoon I looked through all the 29 Autotrader owners reviews for that generation of Swift, and about 300 of the 400 or so Reevoo owners reviews you can also access from Autotrader. There were 2 comments about stiff gear changes but not a single mention of a gearbox fail, in well over 300 cars.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - paul 1963

I'm a member of a suzuki owners Facebook page and no one has mentioned gearbox faults as far as I remember.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - SLO76
“ And yet in the same thread he links an advert to that very same car as a suggestion for the OP to buy, which is telling isn't it?.”

I wasn’t, I posted a link to the advert to show how overinflated prices have become in the last twelve months. He paid £880 and sold it for £2295 a year later with an additional 7,000 miles. The car was already sold and I wouldn’t recommend it either after it cost the buyer for a clutch, a gearbox and a number of other minor issues. All in all he’s barely cleared his feet with it after selling it for around £1500 more than he paid. Doing a bit of digging on this particular gen of Swift revealed that gearbox issues are very common unfortunately.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/06/2022 at 16:10

Doing a bit of digging on this particular gen of Swift revealed that gearbox issues are very common unfortunately.

Well I say again, over 300 owners reviews of that generation of Swift. No reports of gearbox failure and only two complaints of a stiff gear change, so just how common can they be?

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - paul 1963

I agree BBD, I owned the previous shape swift...albeit a manual, never gave a moment's trouble, I do find it mildly annoying when a car gets a bad reputation just because of a bit of hearsay, I'm friends with the dealer principle of my local franchise and he has said they've never seen a swift with a gearbox fault.

Incedently I was lent a Baleno via my friend ( he's recently lent me the latest swift sport...ball of fire) and that had the 1 litre engine along with the auto box and I found it superb and great fun if you put it in manual and used the paddles to change gear.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Xileno

Difficult to say without access to some stats. Warranty claims will be a closely guarded secret within each manufacturer. And then you would have to factor in there may be some failures beyond the warranty period that the manufacturer won't know about.

Difficult to say without access to some stats. Warranty claims will be a closely guarded secret within each manufacturer. And then you would have to factor in there may be some failures beyond the warranty period that the manufacturer won't know about.

Very true Xileno, but how would the manufacturer or dealer prevent owners from shouting loudly about their failures on the internet?. As I said before, folk are much more likely to find their voice if something has gone wrong rather than perfect reliability. That many reviews from Autotrader with no mention of gearbox problems, along with the same from Paul 1963's Facebook group?. I have nothing but respect for SLO's words of wisdom, but in this case I'm afraid I am a little sceptical of just how problematic Suzuki gearboxes are.

As it happens, my sister in law also has a Swift, the generation before the one in question. Had it for at least 7 years now and it has been absolutely reliable. I know this is just one car but I mention it because my brother drives it pretty regular and if his wife isn't with him, he thrashes it (he is still a boy racer at heart) mercilessly. i.e, if there was an underlying problem with the gearbox, it would have had to be replaced by now!.

One last point, as was mentioned earlier in the thread, Aisin make the gearboxes for the Swift, both manual and auto. As far as I can tell, Aisin also made the manual and auto boxes fitted to the first gen Yaris, probably second gen too. Can't say with any certainty that the same actual boxes were used, but surely the chances are quite high?.

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - Ethan Edwards

I replaced Suzuki in your search with Toyota brought up a lot of entries. So I replaced Toyota with Ford and surprisingly it also brought up a lot of entries. Does this Indicate an intrinsic problem? No. I was a member of an owners forum and I cannot recall any issues with the Vitara or the Swift. The early AGS Ignis yes but those were refinement issues not function ie it was a bit jerky. But it still worked. That was common to the Aygo automated manual it replaced as well . Swift by contrast was superb. We replaced it with a 2nd Gen ignis auto no longer AGS and it was superb. As a former owner I can thoroughly recommend Suzuki. Haven't owned the SX4 or Baleno but apart from those...

Suzuki 1 litre Boosterjet engine - tim10597

My daughter has a Baleno 1.0t automatic, which is now 6 years old. It’s been in the family from new. Engine is very responsive and economical, the trip computer is indicating 56.3mpg average, and on the couple of occasions we have checked against what we’ve filled it up with, it is fairly accurate. No issues with the auto box either. Air con compressor needed replacement earlier this year but I don’t think that was the cars fault.

Great little car, very underrated in my view.