What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - BRADYB

From Oct 21, our current family VW Golf TDI will be subject to the ULEZ now being extended to the north circular. Looking for advice on buying a used car for the family (I have a 2yr old and 4yr old). Budget is £15-20k, and needs to be a load carrier for family holidays and weekend jaunts, as well as for the weekly taxi runs to various kid clubs and shopping.

We're ruling out diesels as I don't want to run into the same problem a few yrs down the line, and perfer to avoid SUVs. Market for hybrids to suit budget and needs is limited, so looking at petrol. Perfer nearly new to keep up with any likely regs (no more than 3yr old cars). Any recommendations?

Current thinking is compact estate and specifically BMW 3 Series (320i) or Audi A4 Avant (1.4 or 2.0 TFSI). Did look at Skoda Superb. Thoughts?

Edited by BRADYB on 27/09/2020 at 15:04

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - badbusdriver

None of your suggestions are 'compact estates' (unless you are American?!), especially the Skoda Superb.

but ignoring that, out of those three, it would be the Skoda Superb all day long for me. It has much more space than either German car and better reliability than the BMW.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Engineer Andy

Add to that its cousin SEAT Leon ST 1.4 TSI (preferably the 150PS manual version) - smaller than the Skoda but still a very big boot (thus easier to park in London) but drives very well and good looking. Similar size to the Golf estate.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Bromptonaut

My usual suggestion, Berlingo or its Peugeot/Vauxhall clones.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Metropolis.
Sorry BBD, an A4 and a 3 series are compact exec class, so an estate version is a compact estate. An A6 or 5 series is midsize imo. Pity we don’t get full size anymore, would love to import a Chevy Caprice or Buick Roadmaster if they still made them today.

A Toyota Hybrid is the best bet here, take your pick from those!

Edited by Metropolis. on 28/09/2020 at 09:05

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Avant

Decide first whether you prefer an estate or an SUV: both have theior pros and cons.

Then do you want a manual or an automatic? If a manual, something from Skoda or VW with the 1.4 TSI engine (less risky than a secondhand 1.5). The Octavia estate is roomy enough unless you really need the size of the Superb.

Or a Mazda 6 petrol perhaps. You might not find the Toyota Auris hybrid estate all that much more expensive than a petrol one. If you don't mind a utlilitarian external appearance, the suggested Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner have a lot going for them.

Finally don't ignore the Ford Focus estate or C-Max: plenty around to choose from. Just avoid the 1.0 petrol.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - BRADYB

Really useful. I should have said, car will need to be automatic - the wife will be wanting to be doing some of the driving as well. Good shout on the VW and Skoda TSI engines - I have heard they're reasonably fuel efficient. I'm not aware of there being issues with the 1.5 vs 1.4 second hand, so will be doing some digging

Edited by BRADYB on 27/09/2020 at 20:48

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Heidfirst

Really useful. I should have said, car will need to be automatic - the wife will be wanting to be doing some of the driving as well. Good shout on the VW and Skoda TSI engines

You'll probably want to search into the good & bad DCTs then.

You should be able to find a few of the last Avensis estate 1.8 CVTs within your age/budget paraeters & similarly late Auris & early (2019) current generation Corolla estate hybrids.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - daveyjp

2 year old Prius, less than £20k.

Even if go three years old you still have 2 years of manufacturers warranty remaining.

Edited by daveyjp on 28/09/2020 at 08:21

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - badbusdriver

Sorry BBD, an A4 and a 3 series are compact exec class, so an estate version is a compact estate.

That is fair enough, but the OP didn't say he wanted a compact executive estate, he just said compact estate.

To me, that term has the Skoda Fabia estate written all over it, or at a push, a Golf or Focus sized estate.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Engineer Andy

Good point - the Fabia estate has a large boot for a car of its footprint.

Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - Metropolis.
I think we are at cross purposes sorry, I only meant in terms of size category. Easiest to do with the Germans! Guess making the model classes simple was part of their idea..
Used family car - ULEZ car buying conundrum - SLO76
Harder than you might think to find a petrol powered auto estate in the area, it always amazes me how much dearer cars are down there too. I’d personally leave out all the VAG products, Skoda, Seat, Audi and VW plus Ford if you must have an auto as the automated manual gearboxes used here are fragile in the longterm. The only way I’d buy one would be if it had an extended manufacturer warranty with no claims limit for the full term you intend on owning it.

A Mazda 6 Skyactiv petrol Estate is great longterm bet but they’re few and far between in this spec.

The BMW 320i is a good bet but a bit cramped inside. I spotted a 318 nearby. Interior not to everyone’s taste but I quite like it.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200810231...5

Merc C class is robust and nice to sit in too.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200909350...7

Leave image aside and the big Vauxhall makes a good used buy.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200723159...0

Reliable but bland. Mini cabbers will be all over it when you come to sell.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200905335...3

If you can live without an estate I really rate these.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200822279...6

Potential wee private sale bargain if you’re good at negotiation. Needs to be £14k no more. If it has a full dealer service history it’ll still have the remainder of the manufacturer warranty so there’s little risk as long as you HPI it for outstanding finance and insurance write-off checks.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200916378...5

Edited by SLO76 on 28/09/2020 at 14:15