What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Motorhome - Importing from Italy - LeeLee83

Hello,

I have a friend in Italy who is willing to sell me his motorhome for cheap.

However, I must get it home myself.

The government advice isn't too clear.

I live on Tyneside so I would like to drive it from Italy to Amsterdam then get the Ferry to North Shields.

What do I need to do in terms of paperwork?

Will the Italian MOT be OK for when I get it off the ferry?

Can I get it insured when it's registered in Italy on the promise I'll register it as imported when I get to the UK?

Thanks in advance.

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - _

www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk/register...e

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - Engineer Andy

I hope the OP is skilled at driving motorhomes, as driving a LHD one on our roads will make things even harder. Surely one can be sourced reasonably locally, rather than spending a small fortune importing and driving back to the UK?

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - mcb100

If you're going to Europe half a dozen times a year for holidays, having a LHD one is a good idea.

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - badbusdriver

If you're going to Europe half a dozen times a year for holidays, having a LHD one is a good idea.

Even if the above isn’t the case, I don’t see it being LHD as an issue. It will take a little acclimatisation, but not that much, especially if it’s an auto.

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - Engineer Andy

Good point that I hadn't considered. I wonder how much it costs to hire one over there?

For me, it was more about aclimatising to a large, cumbersome vehicle with poor rearward visibility on our roads. As BBD says, if it's an auto, the gear changing issue wouldn't be problem.

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - Brit_in_Germany

I think you might find it difficult to insure an Italian registered vehicle in the UK and likewise to insure in Italy if you are not resident there.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 26/09/2020 at 15:41

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - badbusdriver

Another point, bearing in mind the current situation re COVID, is whether or not it would be a wise undertaking at all. Personally, I’d say definitely not.

Apart from the potential risk you would be putting yourself and others in, travelling to Italy to pick it up and then driving back through a minimum of 3 countries (via the Netherlands), there is also the fact that you’d have to self isolate for 2 weeks when home. This would be the case coming back via France or Belgium too. And while the list of countries you’d need to self isolate coming from could change, in theory, I can’t see that happening any time soon, maybe not even till next year.

Motorhome - Importing from Italy - _

We are trying to get to the middle east at the moment, pre flight covid tests, pre flight clearance, test and quarantine/isolation on arrival.

It's a nightmare!

I am not sure the borders are open for the OP to drive from Italy via Austria or switzerland and then germany and Holland,