What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Trilogy.

Surprised to see this. Good to see someone stick with a lovely 1.4 Puma to such a high mileage, just shows cars can last to high mileage. Do the 1.4 engine and other small Ford e.g 1.7 and 1.6 engines have a reputation for high mileage reliability?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/ford/ford-puma-hatchback-2000-manual-1388-cc-3-doors/1384644723

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - craig-pd130

I believe they do, the engines were designed in conjunction with Yamaha, and certainly the 1.25 version has been around for ages and is a sweet little motor.

I believe the 1.7 variant was unique to the Puma.

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Zippy123

Are we sure that this isn't a case of Plutarch's "Ship of Theseus"?

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Senexdriver

Oh - you mean like Trigger’s broom in Only Fools and Horses.

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Andrew-T

Surely you both mean George Washington's axe? Actually our yard-broom is a bit like that too, at least until I bought a whole new one last year.

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - carl233

The Sigma engine, 1.25\1.4\1.6 has been around in its original design concept since 1995. 200k is no problem for this unit, the IB5 gearbox used though is a little weak and if pushed hard does not wear the miles very well. I do not believe Ford used this engine with the stronger MTX75 or MMT6 gearbox

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Zippy123

Oh - you mean like Trigger’s broom in Only Fools and Horses.

I thought the gathered contributors here were a little more cultured, but perhaps not :-)

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - SLO76
Glorious wee cars these but rust is the killer, they rot like it’s the 1970’s all over again. I’m amazed this one has held together to get to such a mileage. The engine is however very robust if looked after, Yamaha really did a great job designing these rev happy wee motors.

I was looking around for a good Puma for a while but couldn’t find a solid example. You can’t get body panels or sills for them these days so most have seen terrible rust and accident repairs that utterly ruin them sadly. I can’t express just how good they are to drive. Find a solid 1.7, particularly an early one and keep it rust free and you’ll see values soar while enjoying some great B road blasts on dry days. I’d have one tomorrow if I could.

Edited by SLO76 on 23/09/2020 at 11:25

I'm half on the look out at the moment SLO. Front wings from a Peugeot 206 can be adapted to repair Puma rear wheel arches. The other car I fancy is a 156 Sportwagon, an early one, very hard to find good examples. Peugeot 306 is an option but I'm not keen on the interior design, ditto MG ZS. Can't think of anything else comparable to those.

235,000 miles Ford Puma 1.4 - Andrew-T

Front wings from a Peugeot 206 can be adapted to repair Puma rear wheel arches.

What an amazing suggestion - does it really work, or is it more of a clumsy bodge ? :-)

There aren't many 306s selling these days, and most of those are Mk-2 soft-tops. Do you really mean a 306 ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 23/09/2020 at 17:34

Andrew-T, it works remarkably well. The radius isn't exact but the result is very good, you wouldn't know it had been done unless you really knew how an original looks. There one for sale on fleabay that's had such a repair carried out