What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - privateinvestor

Hello and good evening,

Any views on the 1.0l 3 cylinder ford eco boost engine reliability, economy and durability would be appreciated. This engine comes in various states of tune: 95bhp, 125 bhp and 155 bhp. I just wonder how such a small engine can go the miles. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - phil_z70

Good evening and welcome to planet earth

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - daveyK_UK
The engine has had a number of revisions over the years and as such is now much more reliable

It’s fantastic to drive in manual for but with the new 8 speed auto torque converter gearbox found in the Focus and Kuga (And fiesta and fiesta actives?) , it’s a very enjoyable driving experience .

Personally I wouldn’t touch one of the earlier eco boost engines.
Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - Trilogy.

Here's a thread about EcoBoost engine failures.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=111213

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - Penumbra

Privateinvestor

Have a look at this Facebook page (might take a couple of hours to read it all though), may help you with your decision

www.facebook.com/groups/FordEcoboostNightmare/

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - Galaxy

Well I certainly wouldn't want one - any one!

Cars should be fitted with proper engines!

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - badbusdriver

Well I certainly wouldn't want one - any one!

Cars should be fitted with proper engines!

I'd be quite happy with one new, and the comfort of a warranty. Don't think i'd be willing to take the chance on a used car though.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - madf

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/136287/ford-focus-...3

DavepJP link to videos 7th September.. Car with no oil change for 35k miles..

Only buy one with a FULL Ford sh..

Not an engine to be neglected.. the engine in the videos had low oil pressure and a knock...

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - daveyjp

I'd not watched them to know the oil had probably never been changed!

No surprise it was blocked so quickly, but I'm sure that filter will block anyway even with regular oil changes.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - Ethan Edwards

Don't seem to hear about other manufacturers 0ne litre turbo engines having similar issues. Wonder why that is.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - madf

Don't seem to hear about other manufacturers 0ne litre turbo engines having similar issues. Wonder why that is.

Ford design things to cut costs to a minimum..No leeway when things go wrong.

The oil pump filter - as above is far too small and risks blocking with sludge as oil changes are missed...

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - elekie&a/c doctor
Perhaps take a look at Peugeot models with the Puretech engine . Don’t think they are any better www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles.../
Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - John F
Perhaps take a look at Peugeot models with the Puretech engine . Don’t think they are any better www.peugeotforums.com/threads/timing-belt-crumbles.../

That thread is over five years old and relates to a small batch of duff belts. I think the post 2016 1.2 Puretechs, of which there must by now be a huge number, are proving to be reasonably reliable. Probably Ford's 1.0 ecotec is now OK too. I would be interested to know what engine modifications have been made. I don't think it was just its flawed coolant pipe problem. I had the impression there was a more deep seated head or block design problem as well which Ford would have been reluctant to disclose.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - V4 Heaven

Our very trusted independent garage, who we have used for the past 15 years, advised us against buying one.

He has written off 3 engines this year due to poorly cast cylinder heads causing head gasket failures.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - badbusdriver

Maybe a little unfair, especially if we are talking about 'around' 1.0. As Doc mentions, the PSA group Puretec 1.2 has certainly had a few mentions in threads regarding issues. Also, while i'm not sure about specifics, SLO has mentioned both the Renault 0.9 turbo and Fiat 0.8 turbo motors as being best avoided.

Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - daveyK_UK

Maybe a little unfair, especially if we are talking about 'around' 1.0. As Doc mentions, the PSA group Puretec 1.2 has certainly had a few mentions in threads regarding issues. Also, while i'm not sure about specifics, SLO has mentioned both the Renault 0.9 turbo and Fiat 0.8 turbo motors as being best avoided.

You will find the eco boost 1.0 issues have been a lot more widespread than any other small turbo engine As earlier stated, the 1.0 eco boost has undertaken a number of revisions and is now more robust
Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - veloceman
I thought most problems were from the Focus rather than Fiesta.
I can only tell of our experiences.
Partner had Fiesta Titanium (100bhp) for 5 years covering 50k mile and had no issues whatsoever and averaged around 50mpg.
After almost three years with similar type engined (but uninspiring) Seat Arona she has just bought Ford Puma 125bhp Mild hybrid.
Very impressed with this, smooth power delivery and slick gearbox.
Handles well too.
At around 900 miles now and showing as 52.2 mpg. I would expect that to improve slightly with time.
Always service cars on time with Ford being very reasonable.
Ford Fiesta - Ford Ecoboost engines - Falkirk Bairn

BMW 3 cylinder engines gave issues for at least 2 years.

Exchanged with seemingly little fuss which contrasts with Uncle Henry denying matters for years.

Ford eventually owned up and re-paid people who had paid for a replacement engine. Unfortunately their largesse did not extend to Powershift autos - new cars have TQ gearboxes but cars 3+ years old still give problems.