What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - logger

Is it actually possible to have a used 2 seater which is OK for an elderley passenger to get in and out?

Probably not.. But thought I'd ask..

Sun £5k

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - alan1302

Depends on the person and what their mobility is like - no way you can really tell without trying the car out as everyone and every car will be different.

You see plenty of elderly people in 2 seaters so is possible.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - RT

Being elderly isn't the problem as such, it's being less mobile - the problem is that 2-seaters have seats too close to the ground just as conventional 4/5 seater cars do, hence the popularity in CUVs and SUVs among the less mobile just because the seat is higher off the ground

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - Falkirk Bairn

My M-i-L was well over 90 and managed getting in/out of a granddaughter's MX5.

The M-i-L weighed next to nothing and had no physical infirmities.

Mind you I always bought a car with leather seats!

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - gordonbennet

Out of all the 2 seaters i carried in my previous work, MX5 was by far the easiest to access.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - daveyjp

Something like a Jag XK, but not for £5k.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - barney100

Main problem I found as that the doors needed a lot of room to open wide enough to get out of. The number of times I had to squeeze out trying not to clang the car parked beside me and scrapping the bottom of the door because my foot was half trapped made me change the car.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - badbusdriver

Depends on the person and what their mobility is like - no way you can really tell without trying the car out as everyone and every car will be different.

Also depends on how much you like the elderly passenger!.

But if this is to be the same car subject of your last two threads, it is going to have a very busy life indeed. You will be the main driver, but also it will be shared with your son and daughter. Given how much the young 'uns love their freedom, how on earth are you going to find the time to give lifts to elderly passengers/relatives?.

If this car has to cover so many bases, i'd suggest something a bit more practical, or at the very least one with seats a little further from the ground.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - Trilogy.

Best way is to try a few.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - John F

Is it actually possible to have a used 2 seater which is OK for an elderly passenger to get in and out?

It certainly is. According to the UK definition, I have been 'elderly' for quite some time and still find it OK to both enter and emerge - or perhaps arise - if somewhat sluggishly, from my TR7 DHC. Indeed, despite some recent sciatica, I have just done so on this glorious calm day of September sunshine.

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - logger

Thanks to everyone.

I was hoping I could find a car for all..

Maybe, just, the MX5 could fit the bill.

My current car is a 2003 corse which is very low anyway.

My 'elderly' mum is 97 and still mobile so I might contact the MX5 forum and see what the seat height is compared to my corsa before I go looking

cheers again

Impossible? 2 seater sports with easy access - gordonbennet

It isn't so much the seat height, most of these 2 seaters have similar heights but access to the seat, and maybe more important some room to swing your legs in, could vary by extremes.

Jaguar and BMW sports cars i found to be the worst by miles, getting out of a Z4 i'd end up rolling out onto my hands and knees, Jaguars, particularly XJS i used to struggle shoe horning my legs under the steering column into the tunnel that served as footwell.