Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - Mauricethemini2020
Hello!
Wondering if anyone can help this damsel in distress?! I have a Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 plate.

The car was serviced and MOT’d on Thursday and all was fine. A few bits under the car were recommended to do but the mechanic told me not to bother.

Friday I drove approx 100 miles and no issues.

Saturday I drove for 10 minutes and suddenly smoke started coming out of the bonnet (white steam style smoke).

we turned the car off. Opened the bonnet and it seemed water was hissing out of a round orange component above the engine if looking Birdseye and was hitting a silver plate (that was partially bent below) then going into the floor and running under the car.
Has anyone experienced this before or know what this is?!

?thank you!

Edited by Mauricethemini2020 on 12/07/2020 at 22:39

Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - Mauricethemini2020
I should say too - I have a picture of the part but no idea how to upload it on here? TIA
Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like you have some kind of coolant/ water leak . Don’t recall seeing anything orange in the middle of the engine on my car . Does your car have a regular steel key or a round push in type with a start button. ?
Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - John F

Perhaps the 'round orange component' is a translucent coolant reservoir with orange coolant fluid? Lots of visible steam suggests an overheated engine. If it was because of a coolant leak, there wouldn't be any orange fluid left to be seen in the reservoir. So despite my complete ignorance of the underbonnet and coolant colour of an old Mini, my expensive working diagnosis is a failed cylinder head gasket, possibly because it's got hardly any oil in it.......

Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - sammy1

OP says he just had a service so prob not run out of oil. Giving the age of the MINI and water presumably boiling over the expansion tank could be a blockage in the rad or thermostat seized. Go back to the people who serviced it

Mini Cooper S Convertible 2006 - Smoke coming from engine - John F

OP says he just had a service so prob not run out of oil.

It is not unknown for a distracted mechanic to fail to refill it, although unless it's a Honda I doubt if it would manage 100 miles on an empty sump - although with an old loose engine you never know.....

But I agree,.....

Go back to the people who serviced it