What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What would you do? - flippingcars

So, I have a YouTube channel and I wanted to ask your view on this topic

youtu.be/C34_vN9oPT8

What would you do? Its a dilemma and id be keen to see how "honest" the Honest John forum is lol

Watch the video and let me know

What would you do? - Brit_in_Germany

First thing I would do is not click on the link.

What would you do? - paul 1963

my thoughts exactly..

What would you do? - badbusdriver

my thoughts exactly..

Quite so!

"youtu.be"?, really?!,

Highly dubious!

What would you do? - Bolt

my thoughts exactly..

Quite so!

"youtu.be"?, really?!,

Highly dubious!

Its the new link, instead of YouTube its shortened but still the same you tube you know

to prove it Ive just checked it and its fine.....

Edited by bolt on 07/05/2020 at 18:40

What would you do? - Engineer Andy

So, I have a YouTube channel and I wanted to ask your view on this topic

youtu.be/C34_vN9oPT8

What would you do? Its a dilemma and id be keen to see how "honest" the Honest John forum is lol

Watch the video and let me know

It's essentially a question: would you PX are car with a known fault?

Yes - I did, but I informed the firm (Motorpoint) of the issue, and was the reason I only got £450 rather than £600 for my old car. I was already saving £3500 on the (new) car anyway, £1200 more than any broker's best price, so losing £150 was nothing. I would've told then anyway.

What would you do? - SLO76
“ It's essentially a question: would you PX are car with a known fault?”

Yes, you should. The dealer is supposed to be the professional and he should do a full appraisal of your part-ex. If they don’t then tough luck to him. The only time I’ve seen dealers pursuing anyone post sale is when a mileage discrepancy shows up that looked like it happened during your ownership. Beyond that it’s seen as lesson learned and an excuse to slap the person who did the appraisal. Older non-retail stock is valued with sending it to auction anyway so it makes no difference anyway.

I have high morals as a trader and wouldn’t flog a car with a known fault to the public but I’ll happily offload one to a larger dealer. If he’s stupid enough to buy it then hell mend him. I flogged an immaculate 6yr old 47,000 mile BMW 318Ci with a rattling timing chain to a local dealer known for his high prices, I got £4,700 for a car I wouldn’t have seen £4K through the ring for. He never even started the thing up. I couldn’t get that cheque to the bank quickly enough.

Worse, the car I traded in to get that BM was a Honda Accord 1.8S that some git had walked over. The bonnet, roof and boot lid were all severely dented and it would’ve meant losing my the very valuable no claims (I was 25) or forking out a fortune to repair. I gave it a good coat of polish and waited until it was raining to visit the local BMW dealer who happily gave me £4,500 for it. I’ll bet his gaffer was apocalyptic when he laid eyes on it.

In neither case did anyone even contact me and neither did my dealership when any of us made a mistake. My one and only car buying error was taking in an E plated Rover 820i with the big ends away... managed to get my money back on it though at auction. Someone else’s problem.
What would you do? - Brit_in_Germany

If you had drilled out the dpf, would you inform a potential purchaser about this?

What would you do? - SLO76

If you had drilled out the dpf, would you inform a potential purchaser about this?

I wouldn’t have done it nor would I have bought a car with it done. But I’d advise not telling them am pleading ignorance. The dealer is supposed to be the expert, 99.9% of the general public wouldn’t have a clue about a missing DPF and a court would agree.
What would you do? - expat

I used to have a Nissan Skyline 4 estate. My trusted local indy told me to replace it and that it was going to cost me. I traded it at the local Ford dealer for a new Laser. The local butcher bought it but never bothered to contact me to ask about it first, despite my name being all over the handbook. I met the dealer socially about 6 months later and he told me that the car had cost them big money on warranty claims as the computer had failed and the fuel injection had played up. I replied that I was very lucky that he had talked me into getting a new car! It is buyer beware with second hand vehicles and even new ones can have problems.

What would you do? - Dag Hammar

“I replied that I was very lucky that he had talked me into getting a new car!”

Love it, that was a brilliant piece of wordsmanship.