What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Always ask - SLO76
Just found out that a lass I sold a lovely 55 plated Nissan Micra 1.2 SE to a few years back has scrapped it and is in need of a replacement. I asked why the car was binned and was told that it refused to turnover so they replaced the battery and it still refused to turn, her “mechanic“ took a quick look and condemned the wee car.

Suspecting it to be nothing like a life ending issue I spent ten minutes on t interweb which has informed me that this particular keyless entry model requires a reset after replacing the battery or it will indeed refuse to spin. Upshot of it all is that despite me telling her mother to speak to me before making any car related decisions they’ve thrown away a perfectly good wee car that would’ve ran for years yet. Don’t rely on mechanics when it comes to electrical issues, they rarely have a clue. I seek out my good friends at the local auto spark who are brilliant at solving issues like this for buttons. The right man (or woman) for the job is key.

But hey ho off car shopping I go. £1,500 top budget for another small hatch and a post it note attached to the dash with my phone no in big print to be called before binning another motor. I could’ve got the guts of a grand for that wee car!

Edited by SLO76 on 04/05/2020 at 11:20

Always ask - Cris_on_the_gas

I'd be seeking compensation from the Mechanic !

Always ask - elekie&a/c doctor
The keyless entry K12 Micras were nothing but trouble . They were no good from new . I’ve scrapped a few of these for non start . The reset procedure very often doesn’t work . As the immobiliser is tied into the Bcm and the electronic steering column, they are not worth fixing .
Always ask - SLO76
The keyless entry K12 Micras were nothing but trouble . They were no good from new . I’ve scrapped a few of these for non start . The reset procedure very often doesn’t work . As the immobiliser is tied into the Bcm and the electronic steering column, they are not worth fixing .

He never tried to reset though so it might well have been ok that said I’d advise going for a basic model without it. Another one scrapped a Chevrolet Matiz when it wouldn’t turn. First question I asked was, did you try the spare key. The answer was no, it’s still in a drawer at home. The dealer got a new Nissan Pixo deal out of it.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/05/2020 at 12:53

Always ask - bathtub tom

I know of a Kia Pride that was scrapped because it failed the MOT on one rear wheel handbrake efficiency. Mechanic told them it needed a new handbrake cable and they weren't available.

There's forty-odd on ebay!

Always ask - Steveieb
So you find cars for friends or ex customers SLO ?
Always ask - SLO76
So you find cars for friends or ex customers SLO ?

Yup, I will try. Kinda difficult right now though. I won’t buy a car to sell to them, I don’t trade anymore but I’ll find suitable stuff locally and possibly view and negotiate for them if I’ve time and they need me.