What’s more reliable? - Paul Cliff
I am definitely changing my car next month and narrowed it down to two cars, although they are different there have always been a favourite and very much an eye catching car.

The cars are:
2015 Toyota GT86 25k Miles (manual)
2015 Mk7 VW Golf GTI 45k Miles (manual)

I have driven both these cars and they both have their different driving qualities. Also being 6ft4” I fit better.

I’ll be putting 8k a year on the car and planning to keep it for 5-6 years...

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Cliffhanger
What’s more reliable? - badbusdriver

Both should be reliable, though you’d obviously expect the GT86 to be more so, being a Toyota and all!. Boils down to which one you prefer driving the most.

For myself, much as I admire what Toyota were doing with the GT86, the purity of the driving experience, lightweight, rwd, narrow tyres, n/a high revving engine, I think the reality in normal day to day driving would wear pretty thin. The lack of torque might not be a factor hooning along your favourite country road on a quiet Sunday morning, but on a daily commute?. So while it pains me to say, if I’m being honest, it would be the Golf for me out of that two.

What’s more reliable? - nellyjak

Because I am a big Toyota fan and have had always had good experiences with the marque I would always judge their reliability as high.

I'm not such a great fan of VAG models tbh....I hope you have given them both good, long test drives...they are so different.

I think the GT86 is a harsher ride.?..and you'll get in and out of the Golf much easier.!

Edited by nellyjak on 29/02/2020 at 10:22

What’s more reliable? - groaver

I drove a BRZ for three years and loved it. I did only commute for 14 miles there and back each day.

It has a real older generation feel to it with lots of mechanical clunks when driving through traffic.

The lack of torque may be the thing that frustrates the most.

If you drive with the original "Prius" tyres fitted, it is a bit of a handful in wet conditions and does not like ice/snow at all.

What’s more reliable? - SLO76
Take a long test drive in both but I’d have the GT86 all day long as long as it suits your needs. These are apparently a joy to drive (I’ve yet to have the pleasure) and will be utterly reliable. They’ll become a classic early doors too as sales have never quite taken off especially among the Irish who love their older sporty Toyota’s like we love old fast Ford’s. Look at ge prices for the origional Toyota GT’s particularly over the water.

The Golf isn’t as reliable as you’d expect and despite the GTi badge it’s no fun either, it certainly doesn’t entertain like a hot hatch should. As a fast exec hatch with plenty of kit it makes sense but they’re bad for minor issue and master and slave cylinder failures. Don’t touch the DSG auto either. I don’t care whether it’s the wet clutch or dry, both suffer failures at an alarming rate. If I wanted a fun hot hatch I’d have a Ford Focus ST instead. It has a Japanese (Mazda) engine and is a hoot to drive.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/02/2020 at 13:48

What’s more reliable? - JoeB

I am not a car expert like the other guys on here but I know a bit about Toyotas and I know that the GT86 is actually a Subaru with a Toyota badge on it. That's not a bad thing but someone did tell me many years ago that changing the plugs on a Subaru is a big job. So budget for that. Also non-turbo Subarus are a bit weak on pulling power at low rpm - so maybe a bit tedious to drive in traffic I imagine. No doubt someone can remap them to improve power delivery.

I'd certainly prefer one to a Golf gti which is yet another hot hatch. The GT86 is an old dchool sports car you'd probably want to keep for years.

What’s more reliable? - drd63
Tarted up hatchback or bespoke coupe? Easy choice, GT86.
What’s more reliable? - bazza

To answer your question, the GT86 will be far more reliable than the the VW, particularly after 5 or 6 years, when they're 10 years old or more. But conversely, the VW would make a far more useful, all round vehicle, day to day, it really depends on what you want. I had an MX5 for a while, it was sublime to drive and to look at, but it's lack of practicality became a major issue.

What’s more reliable? - groaver

The GT86 actually has a decent size boot (not hatch) and with the "rear seat" down can actually hold 4 spare wheels and tyres - for your track racing!

Remember it's not particularly refined, the Golf will be.

Every twisty road will be a joy, every town centre a chore.

If you need more than two seats, it HAS to be the Golf.

What’s more reliable? - daveyjp

Spark plugs on a Subaru isn't a big job, its just more awkward than what is normal as you can't easily see what you are doing. With the right tools and some practice it doesn't take long.

What’s more reliable? - JoeB

Spark plugs on a Subaru isn't a big job, its just more awkward than what is normal as you can't easily see what you are doing. With the right tools and some practice it doesn't take long.

Not so sure about that. just looked on inchcape Toyota and it looks like a plug change adds £235 to the cost of the 60k service.

What’s more reliable? - daveyjp

So a 5 year spark plug change on the BRZ is far less than a VW Golf GTi 5 year cambelt change.

I'd be minded to take it to Subaru anyway.

Edited by daveyjp on 01/03/2020 at 18:49